j_sokolova

How Job Success Score system works? Anybody knows?

I asked support team about what should i do with suspended contracts, that contracts in which client put fund, didn't give any requirements and dissapeared. If contracts are open without activity - it dicreases my JSC, if i close it and make refund to client - i suspect it will dicrease my JSC score too (I had this situation before so i know it), so i asked support for advice. 

And here is the answer what would happen if i close contract by myself. 

"In case the client does not choose any 'end contract reason,' that's the time there will be a minimal effect. And, for the system to identify if the effect of this contract will be negative or positive, the system would check on all of the activities in the contract like communication, adherence and compliance to deadlines and client instructions."

Ok, nnow. HOW SYSTEM can decide compliance to client instruction? HOW SYSTEM can calculate communication, if, for example. there was meeting in skype? HOW This SYSTEM works????

Anybody knows?

30 REPLIES 30
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yuliya,

The Job Success score includes many factors such as public and private feedback on all of the contracts you have had, including those that were closed without any money paid and don't show on your public history.

We strongly recommend accepting offers only if you are confident you have skills and time necessary to complete the job, and only after discussing the job scope and requirements in detail with the client. The agent was referring to feedback ratings left by the client, and you can find more details on how your Job Success score is calculated in this Help Article and this thread.

Untitled

Thank you, but i have already read this article 20 times, it is very useless, too much water and not specifics.

Just a few direct questions, for example.

1. **Edited for Community Guidelines**. So i will loose my job success (a lot, cause it is not one client only) and will have troubles with getting my next clients only because some of my clients don't response for months (change their mind, forget about project, go to grandfather in the village and decided to stay there forever, went out of business, hiding from police, in maternity hospital, dead???). Am i right? I am sorry, but i don't understand what should i do in this case.

2. **Edited for Community Guidelines**Ok, HOW? How can "team" know about, for example, skype project discussion? How 'team' calculate communication, what is criteria for this? 

3. **Edited for Community Guidelines** For me it is not clear, how "system" can decide compliance to client instructions and to calculate communication if, for example, i had skype chat with client. Just how?

This article doea not say anything about it. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This means projects you have have accepted and closed the contract because you could not complete the work.  Or you issued a refund as to maybe avoid bad feedback.

Ok, HOW? How can "team" know about, for example, skype project discussion? How 'team' calculate communication, what is criteria for this?

Although talking through Skype is fine, Upwork also recommends copying the conversation to the messaging app.  Not only does that ensure you have a second record of the conversation but shows activity in communication.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** For me it is not clear, how "system" can decide compliance to client instructions and to calculate communication if, for example, i had skype chat with client. Just how?

This is where the private feedback comes in.  When a client closes a contract they are ask a reason for closing it.  The selections are in a dropdown menu.  Also they are asked on a scale of 1 to 10 if they would recommend you.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katrina, thanks for replying.

Hi Yuliya,

Please note that I have removed the attachment you included in your opening post earlier, and edited your second post now, because they included private communication with our Support agent, which is a violation of our Community Guidelines.

Untitled

My apologies.  I didn't realize it was attachments.  I thought it was parts of the article that she was referring to.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Hi Katrina,

It's absolutely fine, your replies are on point.

Untitled
noczy

Hello Yuliya,

I think I have a similar issue like yours. After working on my profile and bidding for over 70 jobs I got 1 offer and 4 candidacies. The 1 offer which is still ongoing has being on hold by the client for 2weeks now after working for 8hrs. He said it is due to backend issues. The 3 jobs that I had candidacies just disappeared without any notification or message from the clients. The client set a weekly limit and I am sure not working for 2weeks gives me 0hours and definitely will affect my upwork score. I guess clients actually rule here. Thats the business world.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Njoku,

Please check the resources I've shared in this thread and read other threads in the Community to get a better understanding how the Job Success Score is calculated. 

Untitled

I was on Elance for years and now on Upwork since last fall. I had 100% success rate for the most of the time (sometimes it would dip to 97%) and had more work than I could handle.

Two days ago, it dropped from 100 to 86%.  All of my recent feedback is five-star.

I've been declined for all the jobs I applied to yesterday and today; the 86% must be scaring them away.

I know the agorithm isn't public, any ideas why it would drop so drastically?  The "poor private feedback" I've seen mentioned is not possible as I have fantastic relationships with these clients. There must be another reason? There are a few that never leave feedback (repeat clients) - does that cause a drop? If so, how can you ensure they leave feedback?  They are repeat clients so obviously satisfied/happy with the work.

Thank you!

I had mine drop once from 94% (or something like that; don't remember exactly) to 88% - it went up tp 96% in the following update. No idea on what caused it, but, the most important thing: I kept on working, so the decrease didn't affect me at all.

Thanks Olga. Since the JSS is out of my control, I'll just keep working and ignore it.

Wise decision, Wendy. Smiley Happy

But...Smiley Wink I've received invitations from scammers four times in the past month. I recognize them clearly so I decline the job.  I've heard THIS affects our JSS as well (declining jobs).

Also, while it's nice to receive invitations, I'm contacted by MANY clients for work completely outside of my qualifications and I have to decline them as well.

How is that fair?

@Wendy H wrote:

But...Smiley Wink I've received invitations from scammers four times in the past month. I recognize them clearly so I decline the job.  I've heard THIS affects our JSS as well (declining jobs).

Also, while it's nice to receive invitations, I'm contacted by MANY clients for work completely outside of my qualifications and I have to decline them as well.

How is that fair?

Declining invitations does not affect your JSS. Upwork does not force you to take a job you don't want.

Thanks David; I appreciate your reply. Do you know that for sure?  Not doubting your word, just that I was told it does affect the score.

Also, totally unrelated but I'm curious why my profile (here) says 2/24/16. I transferred to Upwork last October.

Your question about invites was asked before and the moderators have stated that it has no effect. This actually makes sense because if it did have an effect, freelancers would be forced to take jobs that they had no interest in.

In regard to the date. That date is the date you joined the forum, not the date you started Upwork.

@Wendy H wrote:

Thanks David; I appreciate your reply. Do you know that for sure?  Not doubting your word, just that I was told it does affect the score.

Wendy, JSS measures job outcomes. Not including declined invitations in the metric applies common sense, which is something Upwork should implement in other areas.Robot LOL

Olga, exactly why I believed it when I was told declining jobs *did affect it.  

wjh52

Thanks David! I'm relieved to hear that. Any insight why my JSS dropped from 100 to 86 overnight? I realize you and others may be tired of this question but I searched the forum and have read their descriptions and still perplexed.

Wendy,

You have your profile private so no one is able to take a look to see if they can possibly see why you score may have dropped. If you make your profile public it may be easier for some of us to give you a guess on why it did if nothing else.

oh whoops, Suzanna; thanks.  I'll change it - would you take a look please?

Still showing as not public, Wendy.

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 15.51.24.png

Olga,

You can find her if you go to freelancers and do a search. She evidently set it to let only those on Upwork view. 

Wendy,

I can't tell you why except that the JSS is based on rolling averages over 6, 12, and 24 months and the best score is used. This is a combination of public and private feedback.

Looking at your profile you had one long term job that dropped off of the calculations. Long term jobs count positive, but since it droppped off the 2 year averages then you have a lot of jobs 10 that I counted with no feedback at all. One or two with no feedback won't affect your score but I suspect that many would. I can't tell you on the private feedback, but do know if you got less then a 9 or 10 on the "Would you recommend...." that this affects the score. 

What I can tell you is that some of the no feedback will be dropping off your score in the next month or so so your score should improve.

wjh52

I changed it to public (not just upwork)
wjh52

Thanks Suzanne, I appreciate your help. I wasn't going to let it bother me but it does.

The people on Upwork that don't leave feedback are repeat clients so maybe they feel they don't have to. Even so, I asked 3 specifically to leave feedback and they still did not.

If feedback is not mandatory for clients, it shouldn't be included in the formula - only the type of feedback (good or negative).

@Wendy H wrote:
Thanks Suzanne, I appreciate your help. I wasn't going to let it bother me but it does.

The people on Upwork that don't leave feedback are repeat clients so maybe they feel they don't have to. Even so, I asked 3 specifically to leave feedback and they still did not.

If feedback is not mandatory for clients, it shouldn't be included in the formula - only the type of feedback (good or negative).

Unfortunately, we can't make a client leave feedback, but you can ask they close the contract which forces them to leave feedback. If you close a contract they don't have to leave feedback, but if they close it they have to leave something.

I am not sure why Upwork is counting those who are repeat clients in who don't. A lot of the JSS is a mystery and they are not going to tell any of us why, but you can ask the client to close the contract and then they have to leave some feedback.

Thanks again Suzanne.

Last question - I did close a few jobs because repeated requests could not get a response of any kind from them.

I did this because I was told "open jobs" counted against us as well.

So (1) is that correct? and (2) will Upwork close a job after a certain amount of time which forces feedback?

@Wendy H wrote:

Thanks again Suzanne.

Last question - I did close a few jobs because repeated requests could not get a response of any kind from them.

I did this because I was told "open jobs" counted against us as well.

So (1) is that correct? and (2) will Upwork close a job after a certain amount of time which forces feedback?

Wendy,

There are several topics on Open Contracts

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-Success-and-Open-Contracts/m-p/68520#M26671

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/The-JSS-Friendly-Way-To-Close-A-Contract/m-p/139387#M740...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Newbie-question-about-ending-a-contract/m-p/170492#M9604...

Fixed price I believe are closed automatically after 90 days.

I know that hourly contracts are suspended but left open and I don't believe they are closed.

I don't know how many open contracts you can have without an issue as I work mainly hourly and I only have one with no feedback as I closed it as she would respond every blue moon and still not close the contract. So I closed it and she did not leave feedback. It did not affect my score. 

I don't know of any way to force them to leave feedback. All you can do is ask them nicely to close the contract and hope they leave feedback. If they are repeat clients ask them if  they could take a few minutes to please leave appropriate feedback. They shouldn't have an issue if they have worked with you before.