🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How Many Freelancers Can Client Hire
Page options
doncarlosone
Community Member

How Many Freelancers Can Client Hire

I have just been told by a client that he cannot hire me for an agreed upon small project (which is now complete - without a code handover) because he has too many open jobs.  His stats that I can see say 3 open jobs, 4 hires and 1 active (which could be me as we've been discussing his project).  This doesn't seem overly large.  Is this a legitimate limitation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Charles A wrote:

I have just been told by a client that he cannot hire me for an agreed upon small project (which is now complete - without a code handover) because he has too many open jobs. 

He is lying.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
filip_knezevic
Community Member

I highly doubt that.

He's since told me he'll be closing off a project with another developer on Thursday, and will activate me then. I'll see if he's true to his word - otherwise I own some nifty code!
petra_r
Community Member

Charles A wrote:

I have just been told by a client that he cannot hire me for an agreed upon small project (which is now complete - without a code handover) because he has too many open jobs. 

He is lying.

pponso
Community Member

I agree with Petra, he is lying, I have seen many clients hired me, having the same case as yours, I have also hired many freelancers having the same case...

I think, he might be having some budget related issues, he may sort them out first and pay you...

We can never judge anyone, he might be honest, but no worries, this would be an experience, if he doesnt pays you for the value you have delivered, simply stop working for him!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Cheers 🙂

Robin H wrote:

I agree with Petra, he is lying, I have seen many clients hired me, having the same case as yours, I have also hired many freelancers having the same case...

I think, he might be having some budget related issues, he may sort them out first and pay you...

We can never judge anyone, he might be honest, but no worries, this would be an experience, if he doesnt pays you for the value you have delivered, simply stop working for him!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Cheers 🙂

No, he lied. He made up an excuse to trick the freelancer into sending him the work (already done) without a contract.

Fortunately I didn’t give him the code (yet). Let’s see if he sticks to his Thursday plan.

Ok, great, in that case, I would be curious about what happened in the end!

So he did activate the contract today.

Charles A wrote:

Good 🙂

Maybe he has a limit of how many he is allowed to hire at any given time from his employer or something like that?

pponso
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Charles A wrote:

Good 🙂

Maybe he has a limit of how many he is allowed to hire at any given time from his employer or something like that?

Well, I think, I was right, lol!

Anyways Charles, good to hear that, Goodluck!

Remember, never judget a person, sometimes, we should trust people, that might be not lying...

That's what I was thinking.  He says he's switching all of his outstanding projects to me now since I fixed something in a couple of hours that the previous guy couldn't get to work for him.

Petra R wrote:

Charles A wrote:

Good 🙂

I'm late to this party, but another possibility is that the client is using a company credit card and they've already exceeded their monthly limit, therefore they can't fund escrow until the following month. I had one of these recently, but everything ended happily ever after. (Still, I wouldn't have started the work if they hadn't been a repeat client.)

No, he lied. He made up an excuse to trick the freelancer into sending him the work (already done) without a contract.

I mostly agree with you, but we should never judge a person, until we know the truth.

lysis10
Community Member

Robin H wrote:

I mostly agree with you, but we should never judge a person, until we know the truth.

**Edited for community guidelines**  You have to judge people every day on here, and you have no body language or voice chat to go off of. You're judging some rando on the internet through chat messages. You have to judge people by the way they chat with you, which makes things difficult but you can't be **Edited for community guidelines** and assume everything is roses and rainbows and people are innocent little flowers especially in the OP's case.**Edited for community guidelines**You do indeed need to judge people or you'll go broke and be taken advantage of. You can take everyone on a case by case basis, but not judging someone when you're about to do business with them and put your livelhood in their hands **Edited for community guidelines**

Just today. I'm sure you'll get beat out by someone else soon enough.

pponso
Community Member

**Edited for community guidelines**

That's not being dumb, you're just trying to prove your point, he has not delivered the deliverables yet and he can't do anything, except for waiting for that client, so if he doesn't judges that person, he is not gonna loose anything...

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!

Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

Robin H wrote:

he is not gonna loose anything...

He has already lost - the time it took to do the work.

pponso
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Robin H wrote:

Yes, you're right, but still, I hope the client come back, the day he has promised to pay him!

petra_r
Community Member

Robin H wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Robin H wrote:

Yes, you're right, but still, I hope the client come back, the day he has promised to pay him!

Of course, we all hope that, but working without a contract and with a client who is either utterly clueless (at best) or a liar (at worst) is still not the smartest path to success and prosperity around here.

pponso
Community Member

Of course, we all hope that, but working without a contract and with a client who is either utterly clueless (at best) or a liar (at worst) is still not the smartest path to success and prosperity around here.

Yes, that's right, we should not work for a client, unless we have a contract with him on Upwork, with an hourlie or fixed job...

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

And that the client has funded the escrow fully or can otherwise prove he can pay.

Clearly this client has no clue how to prepare a budget to hire anyone. That's not judging, it's common sense.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths