cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Translator?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 17

You'd think Upwork might have found a translator or someone who knows something about translation to write that drivel...

Highlighted
Simone L Member Since: Apr 4, 2019
12 of 17

Annette E wrote:

Is Upwork lending a helping hand in keeping fees down and creating wrong expectations for clients?

Yes.

(And instead of providing the necessary tools for more professional client/freelancer communication to manage expectations, they will charge the translator via Connects whenever a less informed client doesn't provide essential information or has unrealistic expectations that would require a quick Q&A before submitting a proposal (just lost 6 Connects).)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
13 of 17

I can't believe they are doing that. I am not even a translator but I spot easily lots of mistakes in material that goes through machines. It's laughable in most cases.

By the way, since when Japanese is a popular language? Upwork, are you kidding?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
14 of 17

Sergio S wrote:

I can't believe they are doing that. I am not even a translator but I spot easily lots of mistakes in material that goes through machines. It's laughable in most cases.

Only as a target language. Who cares about the source language.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
15 of 17

Translation

Getting it Right

"What about translation software? If you’re pressed for time and want to get the gist of something for your own use (in-bound), translation software may be helpful. It is certainly fast. And you can’t get much cheaper than free. But as a general rule of thumb, don’t use raw computer output for anything out-bound without the express agreement of your clients. It’s simply not suitable: you run the risk of looking inarticulate. Even stupid. Careful editing of machine output by skilled human translators is one option, although not all translators will accept such assignments. Many insist texts generated by computer programs are so skewed that it’s faster to start from scratch."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
16 of 17

Sergio S wrote:

I think they're estimating popularity based on the size of the country's economy. And Japan is one of the largest economies in the world.

And while I doubt it figures into their estimation since it was already written, there's probably a sizeable uptick due to the Olympics being in Tokyo this year.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 17

Hi Annette,

Thanks for sharing the article. I'll follow up with the team to review the points you raised and check if we need to update the article.

To address one of the concerns shared on the thread, I'd just like to note that this article was posted almost two years ago, which doesn't affect the valid points you (participants on this thread) raised as successful professionals from the field in question. We'll follow up with an update once we receive an update from our team.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS