Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Not to get that first job :)

norrcomm
Ace Contributor
Irwin W Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
1 of 5

I have been on Upwork(previously Elance) for well over 4 years and it's been great.  I am mostly a consultant but on occasion when I am stuck, I'll hire to get through a particular issue.

Recently I posted a job and yes it was for $50 simply because I have the entire server running and was just having one config issue.

For those looking to get your foot in the door, this is one way to not get hired. Stay professional regardless of your opinions on what you think the job should be worth.

I can see why this particular consultant does not get work.  LOL

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

lmao am I reading that right but he is saying that your budget is too low but he can do it off Upwork for an upfront cost?

I can't wait to get into the marketplace. I hear the amount of people who try to take work off the platform is insane and I assume it's why these people with their "I suspended for no reason" posts are probably for this reason.

View solution in original post

norrcomm
Ace Contributor
Irwin W Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
3 of 5

I can understand it to some extent why some take their clients off platform for work.

Have you seen the new rates!?!?! 

I have been lucky enough to to this to supplement a local full-time income and have enough experience to charge a higher fee and go for the higher rate jobs.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 5

I found him and I think he's lying about his location. The English in the proposal doesn't match his profile and it looks like he has no jobs here. He's about to lose his account and I say good riddens.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Hi NorrComm,

Thanks for sharing your experience with an applicant. Definitely, this kind of proposal will leads to a successful contract very rarely. I'll forward this freelancer's profile to the team for a review.

Also, let me use this opportunity to note that freelancers need to use their real names as their profile names on Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS