cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How UpWork can MAKE MORE $ and keep freelancers HAPPY!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 22

No way, it would be a massive and fail-safe opportunity for fraud and money laundering!

Adding "Guaranteed to work" methods of fraud is never a sound business decision

enginverse
Ace Contributor
Thomas K Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
12 of 22

Petra, please enlighten me on ways my proposal could be used for massive fraud and money-laudering. How things are now, I think, present a greater opportunity for fraud.

petra_r
Community Guru
13 of 22

@Thomas K wrote:

Petra, please enlighten me on ways my proposal could be used for massive fraud and money-laudering.

Very easily, and massively. I am sure you don't expect me to provide a step by step fraud instruction, but it does not take much imagination to work it out.

enginverse
Ace Contributor
14 of 22

How about just one tiny (not even massive) example. You can edit it out later if you wish.

petra_r
Community Guru
15 of 22

@Thomas K wrote:

How about just one tiny (not even massive) example. You can edit it out later if you wish.

edited out.....

enginverse
Ace Contributor
16 of 22

Petra - too fast, didn't see it. Perhaps you can PM me.

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
17 of 22

I agree with Tiffany. This is a non-issue for most UW members.

For one thing, experienced freelancers can spot a scammer with their eyes closed.  For another, there's no way a majority of members will agree to a one-month hold on earnings. No. Way.

enginverse
Ace Contributor
18 of 22

Again, it would be optional. I'm a transplant from Elance and it never happened to me for a long time, until recently. It's a non-issue until it happens to you.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
19 of 22

Thomas,

In three years working with Elance and now Upwork, I haven't had a single client that hasn't paid in full. On Elance escrow was optional and more than half of my clients never funded escrow. IMHO the problem you describe is overrated. 

enginverse
Ace Contributor
20 of 22

Joachim, I think the probability of chargebacks may depend on your line of work. For example in retail, the digital and male product sectors have very high chargeback rates while the book sector has very low rates. You may be in a low chargeback sector on UpWork Smiley Happy Guten tag by the way!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS