🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How about down vote on forum?
Page options
grimesr
Community Member

How about down vote on forum?

How about adding dis-kudos for responses that you don't agree with being added to forum responses?

Of maybe, something similar to job listings so you can have several options of how you feel about the response.

This type of marking might help eliminate bad advice, or discourage spammers. 

Just a thought.

18 REPLIES 18
a_lipsey
Community Member

Yes, I don't know about downvoting particular responses, but downvoting a thread might be useful. Or perhaps like you said, the thumbs down from job posting that allow the post to be hidden. 

I try to report posts that seem to be spam or inappropriate. I guess that's all we've got right now. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Robert, this already exists, in a sense.

There are clearcut, helpful Community Forum Guidelines.

When a post violates those guidelines, you can report that post.

Inappropriate posts are removed fairly quickly.

Use: [three dots icon] -> Report Inappropriate Content

Preston H wrote:

Robert, this already exists, in a sense.

There are cleacut, helpful Community Forum Guidelines.

When a post violates those guidelines, you can report that post.

Inappropriate posts are removed fairly quickly.

Use: [three dots icon] -> Report Inappropriate Content

That is not my point. I am not concerned about reporting, I am more concerned about informing other forum members. How would anyone know if you reported my comments/thread?

re: "How would anyone know if you reported my comments/thread?"

You could send the poster a private message telling them that you reported their post.

Otherwise, there would be no way for anybody to know.

kirnazdogan
Community Member

To me, downvote is a kind of aggressive action. If you don't like a thought, you just don't upvote it, but downvote is something like hate expression. People may be wrong or they can make mistakes, but it doesn't mean that they deserve to be hated. Also, as Preston said, you can flag malicious content, and it means that the content needs to be deleted. Yet, downvote doesn't mean that you request Upwork to delete the content. It only shows that you hate the content or the writer because you just don't upvote it if you don't like it.

Dogan K wrote:

To me, downvote is a kind of aggressive action. If you don't like a thought, you just don't upvote it, but downvote is something like hate expression. People may be wrong or they can make mistakes, but it doesn't mean that they deserve to be hated. Also, as Preston said, you can flag malicious content, and it means that the content needs to be deleted. Yet, downvote doesn't mean that you request Upwork to delete the content. It only shows that you hate the content or the writer because you just don't upvote it if you don't like it.

Bad advice does not equal bad person. A downvote doesn't mean you hate someone or their content, but that you find it not credible or a poor solution. Not all people downvote out of hate. Some of us actually do it to bring the best solution to the forefront. 

Amanda L wrote:

Bad advice does not equal bad person. A downvote doesn't mean you hate someone or their content, but that you find it not credible or a poor solution. Not all people downvote out of hate. Some of us actually do it to bring the best solution to the forefront. 

I just wanted to say this. Let me explain in an example. 

There are two freelancers, one is A and the other is B. A gave a perfect solution, but B's solution isn't acceptable. You want to put forward the solution provided by A, then just upvote it. Why do you waste your time with the wrong solution and its writer? If you're the one who asked the question, then choose A's solution as the best answer. People will trust most liked solutions and best answers. 

You don't need to punish B to reward A.

Dogan K wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

I just wanted to say this. Let me explain in an example. 

There are two freelancers, one is A and the other is B. A gave a perfect solution, but B's solution isn't acceptable. You want to put forward the solution provided by A, then just upvote it. Why do you waste your time with the wrong solution and its writer? If you're the one who asked the question, then choose A's solution as the best answer. People will trust most liked solutions and best answers. 

You don't need to punish B to reward A.

Ok, but if neither A or B has a "best" solution and A is just stating misinformation. How would anyone know? I don't know about others, but I try to glean good ideas from people who might not have the facts correct or don't have correct answers to the problem stated. I want to know when I am reading good ol fake replies!

Robert G wrote:

Ok, but if neither A or B has a "best" solution and A is just stating misinformation. How would anyone know? I don't know about others, but I try to glean good ideas from people who might not have the facts correct or don't have correct answers to the problem stated. I want to know when I am reading good ol fake replies!

Then, you should wait for C (customer services). Smiley Happy

Dogan K wrote:

Robert G wrote:

He'll be waiting a long time then... 🙂

Dogan K wrote:

Robert G wrote:

To do what? They don't have a clue what is right or wrong. Smiley Sad

Dogan K wrote:

Robert G wrote:

Good luck with that...

You will know that you are reading fake or incorrect replies when Petra jumps in, highlights the incorrect information and then corrects the poster.  

Robin H wrote:

You will know that you are reading fake or incorrect replies when Petra jumps in, highlights the incorrect information and then corrects the poster.  

I believe Dogan has classified that sort of atrocious behavior as a hate crime.

A "downvote" or thumbs-down without explaination is far worse.  It means you don't care to put in the 2-minute effort to make the correction.  And wouldn't the OP consider a thumbs-down hate too?

There's a reason why Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media sites don't have a thumbs-down.  Let's continue with the kudos and perhaps add positive feedback buttons like "wow" and "celebrate".  

Too many posters are offended by honest criticism.  Get over it and move on.  

Tiffany S wrote:

I believe Dogan has classified that sort of atrocious behavior as a hate crime.

Shame on Dogan. You can be sure that I will warn him next time. Smiley Very Happy

Agreed.

Dogan K wrote:

So, if someone in the forums gave you incorrect advice and someone else downvoted (basically said they were wrong to save you from losing your money, you would consider that "hate"? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members