cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are hours calculated in fixed price

lesiaj
Lesia J Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
1 of 9

Hi! My question is as follows. I understand that in Fixed Price there are no hours or anything. But if I'm only taking Fixed Price jobs does that mean that I'll never be able to apply to jobs that require 100+hours on UpWork even if I've taken lots of Fixed Price projects? Thanks!

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 9

Yes, it's a bit of a problem. I get round it by just never doing hourly jobs. I don't want anything to do with the tracker software anyway, and without it there's no payment protection on hourly jobs. It also takes absolutely ages to get paid for hourly work, so I've concluded that it's best avoided.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

@Lesia J wrote:

But if I'm only taking Fixed Price jobs does that mean that I'll never be able to apply to jobs that require 100+hours on UpWork even if I've taken lots of Fixed Price projects? Thanks!

Lesia, you can still apply for contracts which have a preference for a minimum amount of hours. Nothing is stopping you, and if you put a sentence in your proposal that the reason why you have no / fewer hours is that all / most of your previous contracts have been fixed rate, it may help.

It unusually just means that clients want freelancers with some degree of history, and if your proposal and your profile look suitable to them chances are they will consider you even if you do not meet all their preferred criteria

lesiaj
4 of 9

Thank you very much, Petra! I get it now Smiley Happy 

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 9

@Lesia J wrote:

Hi! My question is as follows. I understand that in Fixed Price there are no hours or anything. But if I'm only taking Fixed Price jobs does that mean that I'll never be able to apply to jobs that require 100+hours on UpWork even if I've taken lots of Fixed Price projects? Thanks!

You can apply for any hourly job no matter what hours they want. The client enters their preferences and that's all it is really. Then in your cover letter you simply explain that you normally do fixed price jobs and that you have a full profile of previous jobs they can review. I often apply to hourly jobs even though I may not meet their qualifications.

**edited for Community Guidelines** Every Sunday night your weekly clock stops, then the client has five days to review your hours and your work, and then 5 days later on Wednesday you are paid. To ensure your protection you must give a full description of the work you are doing every time you start the timer app and ensure that your keyboard activity shows you have been working.

This site has a great video that explains the entire process.

How You Get Paid For Hourly Work

Hope this helps.

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
6 of 9

Sorry Jean, but you are incorrect. 

I am able to withdraw my Fixed rate earnings immediately after completion of a project. There's no waiting period for the client to review - they accept it, they release payment, no 5 day review and another 5 day review for miscellaneous nonsense. I've wrapped up entire projects within just a few hours on Elance - there's no 10 day wait time. As for hourly projects, it's as Fergus said - it's 5 days.  On Fixed Rate projects we now have to wait a week or more to get paid on Upwork.

We also do not pay $1 every time we withdraw our earnings, nor do we pay a higher 10% in per project fees on Elance.

As Fergus said, give it up and stop misleading people. Elance was by far the better site - that's why many us didn't come over to oDesk.

lesiaj
7 of 9

I suppose there's nothing to be done about that now that Elance is gone? Smiley Happy

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 9

Cairen,

I believe Jean was referring to the procedure for hourly contracts on Upwork. Here, even fixed rate projects have a waiting time before money is released. They are stated as 'pending'.

kotuku
Frank S Member Since: May 27, 2015
9 of 9

Hi Lesia J,

Understand you completely.

Please have a look at my views on this.

The only way I know to direct you to my submission is for you to do a search in

Community Discussions / Freelancers for "Work History"

Hope you find it.

Would be interested in any comments you may have - "for better or for worse!".

Regards, Frank S

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS