cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big a hit will my Job Success Score take if I cancel a contract with a too-demanding client?

sakuraediting
Kimberly I Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
1 of 10

I have a client who is being very difficult to work with. It's not 100% his fault... I think there was just a lot of miscommunication from the beginning.

The client said the job was for proofreading X thousand words, and I gave him an approximate completion date. Instead of sending me the full file at once upon hiring, he waitied a week and then sent a very small portion of the job. He then sent a LARGE chunk of the job all at once and told me to finish it within 4 days. No negotiation, just... finish in 4 days.

He wants me to not charge him for repeated phrases... even though I'm just using MS Word, and I still have to read every page and manually determine that it's repeated. The file is about twice as long as he says it is via message.

Since I didn't actually STATE: "This quote is only applicable if you send the entire job at once within X hours of hiring, and includes repeated phrases," I know I probably have no ground to stand on if it goes to dispute.  I honestly want to just end the job and let the client find someone else who has the time to respond immedately to "Do this ASAP!" requests.

But how badly will it hurt my JSS if I cancel and choose a reason like "I am no longer able to complete this job"?  I'm at 100% right now, so I can take a small hit without totally ruining my chances of getting further work... but exactly how severe is that damage going to be?

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 10

Hi Kimberly,

JSS is calculated on 6-12 and 24 months windows, if good contracts are pushed outside of this window the impact will be bigger, depends on the other contracts that are staying in this window.
Closing out the job might not have a large impact on your JSS, but you can always focus on a short fixed price contracts so that they are included in the calculation little bit faster.

To learn more about this you can visit My Job Success Score help article.

~ Goran
Upwork
sakuraediting
3 of 10

I guess what I want to know is this.

That article says that its (positive outcomes - negative outcomes) / successful outcomes

So, if I have 9 positive outcomes and 1 negative, for example, (9-1) /10 = 8 /10? Does the one negative outcome weigh TWICE as much as a single positive one? Is that a correct interpretation? So, in order to stay above 90% I need 19 positive outcomes in the same timeframe?

(If any FREELANCERS, not Upwork staff, have done this, could you share your experience? Did your score drop drastically overnight, or was it more of a small dip? I know you don't know the exact algorithm, but any opinions on whether the size of the damage makes it worth saving my time and mental health would be appreciated!)

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
4 of 10

@Kimberly I wrote:

(If any FREELANCERS, not Upwork staff, have done this, could you share your experience? )

I had over 170+ jobs, and two or three clients leaving me rating between 3.5 and 4, and many more short term clients and two to three long term clients leaving me rating 5, and yet my JSS oscillated from 98-96-97... 

My thinking is that bad rating has stronger effect. 

You can have a drop anywhere between zero and ten points. I read some people complaints on how they fell down bellow 90 JSS after a bad review/refunded contract.

I mean... as long as you had at least some money transferred from that contract and not zero money it can't be that bad. And as long as he doesn't start a dispute, or leaves a really really bad feedback.

So, maybe you should explain to him how you see this is not working for you, and ask in professional, serious and polite manner is he ok for you two to stop contract and him finding someone else who can respond for ASAP requests. 

Delwar H Member Since: Jan 30, 2015
5 of 10

@Kimberly I wrote:

(If any FREELANCERS, not Upwork staff, have done this, could you share your experience? Did your score drop drastically overnight, or was it more of a small dip? I know you don't know the exact algorithm, but any opinions on whether the size of the damage makes it worth saving my time and mental health would be appreciated!)

Are you Top Rated? 

If so, you have the privilege to exclude to contract from JSS calculation. 

sakuraediting
6 of 10
Thanks. I’m not Top Rated yet... my JSS has been at 100% for four weeks but I need a couple months more. I took about a year off and my JSS plummeted during that time because two contracts were left open.

I suppose I can try to drag this job out long enough so that no feedback is given until after I become Top Rated? Smiley Sad
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 10

@Kimberly I wrote:
Thanks. I’m not Top Rated yet... my JSS has been at 100% for four weeks but I need a couple months more. I took about a year off and my JSS plummeted during that time because two contracts were left open.

I suppose I can try to drag this job out long enough so that no feedback is given until after I become Top Rated? Smiley Sad

Can't you fix the issue with the client?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 10

@Kimberly I wrote:

1) So, if I have 9 positive outcomes and 1 negative, for example, (9-1) /10 = 8 /10? Does the one negative outcome weigh TWICE as much as a single positive one? Is that a correct interpretation? So, in order to stay above 90% I need 19 positive outcomes in the same timeframe?

2) (If any FREELANCERS, not Upwork staff, have done this, could you share your experience? Did your score drop drastically overnight, or was it more of a small dip? I know you don't know the exact algorithm, but any opinions on whether the size of the damage makes it worth saving my time and mental health would be appreciated!)

1) That is how percentages work. It's basic maths.

2) Take a look at your "My Stats" page. How many weeks out of 16 is your top rated eligibility? My biggest drop was 7% in one go, but I had a much smaller number of feedback in the 2 year window at that point because I had been working almost exclusively with one client for a long time. You have a large number of contracts and once you get to top rated you can exclude one contract every 3 months and 0 contracts from the calculation.

sakuraediting
9 of 10
No need to be condescending. It seems a bit strange that in that case (one negative, nine positive) the result would be 80% and not 90% (when in reality 90% of the jobs were successful), so I just wanted to confirm.

I have been paid for the work I have already completed but I am under the impression that that doesn’t account for much. I suppose I’ll try to see if he can hire someone else to take on some of the work...

I am reminded why I took an extended break from Upwork though. Once we accept an offer we essentially have no choice but to accommodate the client’s eccentricities. Nice.
sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
10 of 10

@Kimberly I wrote:

I have been paid for the work I have already completed but I am under the impression that that doesn’t account for much. 

Actually, it does. Closed contracts without earnings hurt jss really bad. I think worse than contracts with bad feedback.

Yeah, it takes time to get sure all is clear before contract starts, and without that you have to accept compromise with client.