🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can I bring my own client to Upwork?
Page options
8da98d13
Community Member

How can I bring my own client to Upwork?

So how does that work exactly and does the client need to make an account? I want to utilise Upwork's simple time tracker and payment protection.

I read about Bring Your Own Client and it's 0% fee and on some forum posts you were suggesting freelancers link their profile to their client... I am just confused and need a simple answer from the kind community here.

Thank you in advance,

Diell

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Diell M.

DO NOT ask your client to set up an account at this point. If that happens first you will not get the perk of no fees to Upwork using Bring Your Own Client.

You should email BringYourClient@upwork.com and get their instructions for bringing your client to Upwork.

Assuming the program is still available, it used to only be available to Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
celgins
Community Member

Diell,

You can simply direct your client to setup an account on Upwork. Once setup, they post a job, and invite you to submit a proposal for the job. To me, this is the easiest way.

Link to Upwork: Post A Job

Your client could also review the steps to Bring Your Own Talent.

Diell M.

DO NOT ask your client to set up an account at this point. If that happens first you will not get the perk of no fees to Upwork using Bring Your Own Client.

You should email BringYourClient@upwork.com and get their instructions for bringing your client to Upwork.

Assuming the program is still available, it used to only be available to Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers.

Thanks Will,

I just wrote to that adress and now waiting for them to message me back. I would much rather have the job affect my JSS, so BYOC is a better solution for me.

Hi, 

I have a question here if such a client be able to leave feedback & rating on order completion? 

Community Member

Since you are not Top Rated (Plus), your best bet is to use Direct Contracts. In my opinion, the Hourly version of Direct Contracts has better promise of payment (erroneously described as "protection", like that for fixed-price) than the standard Upwork Hourly contracts. That is because the client has to fund an entire week of payment into escrow, meaning that there is no question that some funds are available (although there is no protection against chargebacks, because any credit/debit card transaction is vulnerable to chargeback). For anybody who charges more than $62.50/hr, that means that the escrow for a single week promises more than the $2,500 maximum on standard Upwork Hourly contracts.

ETA: strikethrough erroneous information

That's an interesting option, Jonathan, but if client chargebacks are still a possibility it isn't an option I'd recommend to any new freelancer when an hourly cpntract is also a possibility. 

It is my understanding (thanks to Preston for confirming) that with fixed price contracts funds are also available (the client's payment method/credit card has been charged) when shown in escrow on Upwork. And that offers the freelancer no assurance against chargebacks.

Does Upwork mediation also come into play if the client disputes payment or requests a refund under a direct contract?

Thanks for any insights in how direct contracts reduce the chance of disputes and refund requests compared to fixed price contracts.

Hi Will. There is an entire ToS agreement dedicated to Hourly Direct Contracts that answers your questions regarding dispute mechanics. As for reducing the chance of disputes, refund requests, and chargebacks - I don't have any stats on those. Like I said in my initial reply, it is strictly my opinion based on the info in the ToS agreement and the recent discussions on the inconsistent enforcement of Hourly Protection in this forum.

OK, Jonathan. I don't care enough about learning about direct contracts to read through any documentation. I was just wondering how you think that contract arrangement can reduce freelancer losses due to client fraud or disputes.

Let me try to understand what you said there, me not being TR+ means I don't have a high chance of getting into the program? How does the payment procection of Direct Contracts differ from the one in BYOC?

Actually, upon further review of the Support pages, I can't find any BYOC program. There are just the BYOT/Any Hire programs for clients to use. So you may only use Direct Contracts with clients who don't yet have an Upwork account.

8da98d13
Community Member

Hello Joanne,

I know this is a really late reply to your comment, but I am interested in brining my outside client to Upwork so could you also give me a link to invite them? I am worried about payment security so bringing them to Upwork would be a really good solution.

Thank you in advance,

Diell

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members