🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can I change the contract to fixed if the...
Page options
simonphough
Community Member

How can I change the contract to fixed if the job has already started

A client awarded me a job and chose an hourly contract. However we agreed beforehand that I would only charge $200 for the job. Paying an hourly rate would mean I would charge the client more than $200 at my hourly rate since it has taken longer than I expected to complete the job.

I'm unable to change the contract from hourly to fixed even though no money has been exchanged. Do I now have to cancel the job and risk harming my job success score or is there another way the client can pay me without me having to manually enter the hours.

Thanks
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Options:

- bonus

- log partial number of hours

- close hourly contract; start fixed-price

The client can pay you any amount of money using the client-side "Send bonus" tool.

You do NOT need to log hours.

Alternatively, you may enter in any number of hours you want to using the manual logging tool. You could, for example, work for ten hours but log only eight hours if that makes the math work out right for you.

If you don't want to do that, then if you have an hourly contract right now, then just close it.

A client is charged nothing for an hourly contract if no time has been logged.

Close the contract or ask the client to close the contract. Then have the client create a fixed-price contract as a private job and use the Hire button to hire you directly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Options:

- bonus

- log partial number of hours

- close hourly contract; start fixed-price

The client can pay you any amount of money using the client-side "Send bonus" tool.

You do NOT need to log hours.

Alternatively, you may enter in any number of hours you want to using the manual logging tool. You could, for example, work for ten hours but log only eight hours if that makes the math work out right for you.

If you don't want to do that, then if you have an hourly contract right now, then just close it.

A client is charged nothing for an hourly contract if no time has been logged.

Close the contract or ask the client to close the contract. Then have the client create a fixed-price contract as a private job and use the Hire button to hire you directly.

Thanks Preston for your thorough response to my question. I did not know the client could give me a bonus and I not need to log any hours. I was concerned I would be charging the client extra.

Closing/cancelling a job is an option but would this effect my job success score?

re: "Closing/cancelling a job is an option but would this effect my job success score?"

No.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members