🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can I get my first job ?
Page options
rkm95
Community Member

How can I get my first job ?

Hey guys, 

I've been trying for almost 2 months now to get a first job and could'nt even get and interview.

My profile is 100% ready, and I'm quiet sure my proposals are quiet okey too.

I was wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong ? Anyone who can give me advice is very welcome ...

What does it take to get an Interview ? 

Thanks in advance .. 

Ramy KM.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lauren_oster
Community Member

Hi there! I remember trying to get started too and it can be quite discouraging at first if you aren't getting any client interactions. One thing I would suggest is to apply to very niche-specific jobs that you have expertise in/jobs with skills that are not as common. For me, I started with Christian blogs because way less people were interested in applying/had a background with it. Never hurts to look for jobs that are very specific to your own interests! Otherwise, I'd say just keep applying every day, multiple times a day to small jobs--you WILL land one if you keep it up and don't give up! Hope that helps! 

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
lauren_oster
Community Member

Hi there! I remember trying to get started too and it can be quite discouraging at first if you aren't getting any client interactions. One thing I would suggest is to apply to very niche-specific jobs that you have expertise in/jobs with skills that are not as common. For me, I started with Christian blogs because way less people were interested in applying/had a background with it. Never hurts to look for jobs that are very specific to your own interests! Otherwise, I'd say just keep applying every day, multiple times a day to small jobs--you WILL land one if you keep it up and don't give up! Hope that helps! 

Thank you so much Lauren for your encouragement, it is very motivating and it pushes me forward.

However, that's exactly what I'm doing, I think I'll try to see things differently.

Instead of saying I'm doing things wrong ... you just showed me that I'm on the right way, just need to keep trying.

This also help me because I am also appying and haven't received a job as yet. I continue to go through the courses and keep submititng. 

Pls how did you apply for the job??I have been trying to apply for a job but it's not working

kate_miranda1
Community Member

It has to do with submitting quality proposals that are tailored towards the job post. Also,  ensure you are active and online.

Yeah you're right, totally agree with you. Even though i've been doing that, still didn't work |YET| for me 

35ebedf6
Community Member

You are highly qualified. There are faster ways to get work than here. I'm sure you'll be contracted soon. Remain consistent with proposals. Love the portfolio btw

rkm95
Community Member

Thank you so much Ariane, made my day/night lol

I'll hang on for now and we'll see.

ponybd
Community Member

Hi Ramy. Keep looking for the job that goes with your skill and take time, apply with tailored cover letter for each job. Try to be active as much as possible to response immediately. Add some previous work in your portfolio, add certificate in your profile. Look for clients in social media and bring them to upwork. That will boost your profile tremendously to get the next job. Hope this will help.

rkm95
Community Member

Thank you so much Rahmat, this was very helpful. I'll try to take all these points into consideration.

7fa72e7e
Community Member

Thank so much Rahmat.That are very encouragment words

moromegan
Community Member

Dear Ramy

Just follow the listing steps:

1. - Always ignore applying for any posting job if a client didn't verified payment with Upwork yet, then you will keep your connects with you for upcoming posting jobs.
  2. - Improving your profile in order to get more views. Your profile is your store interface which will help you to advertise yourself to potential clients by updating your skills and expertise.
  3. - Improve your proposal and always focuse on how you can solve client problems. Tell the client why you are the right contarctor to a specific task and always Keep your cover letter short.
  4. - Be active and always be available and ready to accept or decline any invitation you will get.
  5. - Obtain online certificate/diplomat and upload it to your profile.
  6. - Choose a niche by focusing on a specific skill sets.

Goodluck

rkm95
Community Member

Hey El Falah, 

This is very relivent, every thing you mentionned. 

I think you've said it all, Thank you👏👏

ff95881b
Community Member

Hello Ramy,

Don't be discouraged about this and don't give up, you will surely find your first client and it will be a great start.  From my experience, I can give you some advice. 1. The best option is to send the offer in time before many people send it. 2. Try to send not too high budget offers at first.  3. When submitting the proposal first pay attention

to what the client wants, and then write about your own experience. 4. Try not to write too long text. 5. If you have a portfolio of your work, upload it with your cover letter.

I hope my tips will be useful to you

rkm95
Community Member

Hi Sophiko, I really appreciate that, this was very helpful

gonatoharvey
Community Member

Lesser is better, Try to attached some examples

diego_paola
Community Member

Hi!

Is okay Ramy, I'm sure you will get there soon. Architecture jobs are a little bit harder to get. So just be patient, always keep checking job posting;I notice that I have the best luck at nigh. Also look for very specific things. For example content writter, interior 3D modelling, product 3D modelling, and if you are good with graphics and Ilustrations go there. You can sometimes find things that look like have nothing to do but is actually related.

edb944f3
Community Member

Hi Ramy, there are already so many good replies to you so I just want add a few more:

1. Architectual Design is indeed a very competitive field on Upwork so you might want to go into a smaller niche or highlight something from your profile that can grasp the attention from people reading your proposal. I would suggest proposing a lower price than you usually go for and state that you are giving your first client a discount in your proposal.

2. Look for other freelancers in your industry here on Upwork and learn from them, everything their profile and their past Upwork jobs.

Don't lose hope, just keep applying everyday and you will land on one!

4f62b1e4
Community Member

I recommend you to do two daily job searches, it could be one in the morning and one in the afternoon, the jobs are published and flooded with offers of workers in a short time, you will have more chances of winning the job if you are among the first to apply.

Hi Cordelia! Don't stop applying to proposals, start applying to small tasks, that you can do, there is a lot of it, like testing, recording nature video, etc. I wish you good luck Cordelia, don't stop trying.

To earn your first job just make sure your proposal is addressing the client and how you are ready to solve his current prblem . Start by saluting the client and mention the name if its there or better still look for in the freelancers reviews, then go straight explaining your expertise and how it will specifically solve the problem. You can also inquire from the client if there is any other information that is not clear or provided and prompt them to revert to you for a quick fix to their problem.

End your proposal by thanking the client in advance and sign off with your name.

This works pretty well, out of every 3 proposals written this way 2 will send you a job invite. 

This has been working for me too.

pra200
Community Member

I also didn't get the job easily for the first time, I searched searched and serached but apply only those jobs which i knew were perfet fit for me. After trying 1 and half months all day and eveining i got 1st project and earned just $1. Yes. But after completeing 1st project and getting 5 stars it was not hard to get sencond-third-fourth and more large projects. But we need to upgrade our skills tme to time like doing courses or traingings to get verities of jobs continuously. Best of luck.

I suggest What is your Key stength, what type of service you are going to provide Upwork client. prepare a good praposal cover latter that will show your skills and the previous work if you have complated similier it will help a lot.

Thanks

maro007
Community Member

will i have 3 years of experience in brand and logo design and also I have a good-looking portfolio but I still have difficulty taking jobs only 4 jobs I have taken from like a hundred jobs and i finish all of these jobs with 5 stars

i don't know what should i do more to take more jobs if anyone can help me that will be very nice 

also this is my portfolio and check it if i had any mistakes or something wrong

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01fe0428754c944ab7

Regards

Marwan Ezz

1. Go for relevant jobs. 

2. Complete your profile. 

3. Check clients profile and see what kind of freelancers he/she has hired in past and how much he/she paid in the past. Based on this adjust your project budget. 

After covid19, many people have become freelancers so we're now really hard to find a job even with Rated Plus like me.
Especially our number connects for a job is limited, sometimes we need to buy more as Premium account won't support us much these days due to crazy bids out there.

92f65067
Community Member

I will want to advice you filter the category of you job search to feature on best suit for you perhaps on short term first, then subsequently you can broadens your search even more...i guess this can help you as it help.....

6434d97b
Community Member

This is what actually I'm experiencing currently. However, I wish anyone who has link on free online class for interior design that I can participate and get an award certificate kindly to build a strong profile.

e49ba8d3
Community Member

Past one year I try this site for job postings. ...and doing confirm...but not responds any yet...how can I get starting?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths