🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can I get my first job?
Page options
ilicicmilica
Community Member

How can I get my first job?

Hi guys,

I am new on this site. I would like to hear some advices on how to get my first job. I speak fluently 6 languages, but I would like to hear from you how can I get my first job fast and should I something change in my profile? It's just not so easy as I thought.

Thank you,

Milica

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Milica I wrote:

Hi guys,

I am new on this site. I would like to hear some advices on how to get my first job. I speak fluently 6 languages, but I would like to hear from you how can I get my first job fast and should I something change in my profile? It's just not so easy as I thought.

Thank you,

Milica

As a client, when I see a freelancer claim to be "native/bilingual" in three languages and fluent in another 4, with clear evidence that the level of fluency in at least one of them (English) is by no means anywhere near "native/bilingual" I consider the profile to be fake and the freelancer dishonest.

When I see a "translator" offer translations from one of their non-native languages into another of their non-native languages, I know I am not looking at a real translator's profile.

When such a freelancer then has no portfolio items at all to back up any of the claims on the profile, and a generic, meaningless profile overview, I walk away.

On my way out I then wonder where the idea that $ 70 is an appropriate hourly rate came from.

versailles
Community Member

Milica I wrote:

Hi guys,

Thank you,

Milica

Fluent and native in a language that's two different things. People who have a native command of two languages are rare. It's people who have lived in two countries and probably have parents who are native speakers of different languages.

For that reason professional translators only translate into one language: their native language. Amateurs translate into their source language as well. Until they PO some client who is a native speaker of their source language.

Your profile is essentially empty. Adding a bunch of totally unrelated skills in the hope of widening your net only makes you look like an amateur. People have found that they have better success when they specialize in a niche and can offer some sharp skills in that niche. Usually skills that are acquired over years of professional practice.

The huge majority of people who create an account on Upwork fail to land any job and to make any money at all. This is not to discourage you, but it's better to know the territory you wish to conquer.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Milica I wrote:

Hi guys,

Thank you,

Milica

People who think freelancing is easy usually don't have much success at it. Sloppiness as in a profile with typos when you present as translator will also not be rewarded.

Sorry for being blunt - get serious about it, or leave it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members