cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get payment if the client hasn't verified his payment method yet?

Ace Contributor
Rolando K Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
1 of 11

Dear all,

I wish to know how can I get paid if the client hasn't verified his payment method yet?

Here's the scenario:

- client offered a project

- client hasn't verified payment method yet thru UpWork proposals portal

- as per email advise, client will pay thru paypal

- as per freelancer's payment method (from philippines), Local Funds Transfer is configured with bank details.

Kindly help out on this query.  THANK YOU very much in advance.

Sincerely yours,

Rolando Ko Jr

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Rolando,

Report this to customer service as you are never to paid off of Upwork. You could lose your account for taking a payment off of Upwork,

Ace Contributor
3 of 11

Hi Suzanne, 

Thank you for the advise.  I haven't accepted the offer yet.  And as a newbie, I need to know more.  

When I read the email instructions, their payment method usually is thru paypal but to be fair with the client, he's merely asking how I may get paid. 

I already configured my payment method from UpWork instead, as Local Funds Transfer.  When I checked the proposal from this client, it shows "Payment method not verified".

Just a bit confused.  I think I'd rather wait for the client to verify first his payment method with UpWork before receiving the offer.

Hope to be enlightened on this.

Sincerely yours,

Rolando Ko Jr.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 11

The only way you can get paid is through Upwork. If they're offering to pay by Paypal, do what Suzanne says and report them; they are a) breaking the rules and b) likely to scam you.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 11

@fergus M wrote:

The only way you can get paid is through Upwork. If they're offering to pay by Paypal, do what Suzanne says and report them; they are a) breaking the rules and b) likely to scam you.

That is 100% correct. Scammers can ask you for PayPal information to make you think they will pay you through PayPal, then disappear after you do the work.

6 of 11

Thank you Fergus for commenting.  I appreciate much.

I haven't accepted the offer.

Ok.  I'll report this to the customer service and get advice.  thanks again.

Ace Contributor
7 of 11

Just got this issue reported to the Customer Service  =)

Awaiting my ticket number to be served soon.

Will advise you about the updates.  Thanks!

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 11

Rolando,

Never accept an offer until they have verified their payment method and never accept someone saying they will pay you off Upwork. If someone offers to pay you off Upwork as Fergus and John have said they are trying to scam you. Report those clients, send a copy of that email to support and report them. 

I will apply for jobs that they are not verified, but I make it very clear to them I won't start work until they have verified their payment and explain to them payments are only to be made through Upwork, but generally if you get someone offering to pay you elsewhere they are trying to scam you. Asking you to work off of Upwork and take payments off of Upwork is against the ToS. Report them.

Good for you for not accepting the offer and asking in the forum!

Ace Contributor
9 of 11

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks a lot!  And yes, this is now under inverstigation by the Customer Support Team. 

Thanks to you all guys for helping!  =)

Sincerely yours,

Rolando Ko Jr.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 11

Rolando, it's the old "captcha entry" nonsense.

NEVER agree to do this,not only is it against Upwork rules, not only will you not get paid, it is also a essentially facilitating spam, scams, and people getting viruses and trojans.

Captcha entry is BAD! NEVER do it!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS