cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I refund the client voluntarily?

Highlighted
Jen D Member Since: Dec 7, 2016
1 of 6

I made a mistake on a project with one of my hourly clients and I'd like to show some goodwill by refunding the hours charged. Is it possible to do this and how? I've looked around but can't seem to find a way...

Thanks for help,

Jen

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Jen:

If you want to do a "refund" for work done DURING THE CURRENT WEEK, then the best way is to delete the associated time blocks from your work diary. Then the client will never be charged for those time blocks.

If you want to refund a client an amount of money for past work, then this is easy to do:

Go to your contract listing under Upwork -> My Jobs, click on the job listing, "three dots" icon, and choose the "Give a refund" from the dropdown menu.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 9.08.07 AM.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

Jen D wrote:

I made a mistake on a project with one of my hourly clients and I'd like to show some goodwill by refunding the hours charged. Is it possible to do this and how? I've looked around but can't seem to find a way...

Thanks for help,

Jen

If the contract is still open and the hours were logged this (!) week, just go to your work diary and delete the screenshots.

If the contract is closed and / or the hours were logged in previous weeks, go to My Jobs > All Contracts.

Select the contract in question and click on the three dots on the right.

Select "Give refund" and then proceed from there

give a refund.jpg

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Md. Arafat - Member Since: Apr 5, 2018
4 of 6

Hi Jen,

In cases where you’d like money back from a freelancer, you’ll need to request a refund through Upwork within 180 days of the payment.

Please check Request a Refund

Md Arafat
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

Md. Arafat - wrote:

Hi Jen,

In cases where you’d like money back from a freelancer, you’ll need to request a refund through Upwork within 180 days of the payment.

Please check Request a Refund

She is the freelancer.
She is asking how she can refund the client.

The 180 days are nonsense too, even if she was a client, not a freelancer, she would have 30 days to initiate a dispute, not 180.

PLEASE do not keep giving poor / wrong / irrelevant advise. If you don't have a clue what you are talking about, refrain from responding. Thank you!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Md. Arafat - Member Since: Apr 5, 2018
6 of 6

Thanks for your advice @petra

Md Arafat
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS