🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can I remove/reset > "Tax Residence / Add...
Page options
kadirz
Community Member

How can I remove/reset > "Tax Residence / Address"

Hey guys,

Please check the screenshot.

I have a little problem with my "Tax Residence/ address" data. I'm currently a student and I don't have any place on my own. I stay Airbnb / my friends/hotels sometimes. So I don't have any address currently. I have filled my "Tax Residence" address by accident. My address will be permanent in 1-2 months and I don't wanna fill the current address as my friends. Because he doesn't allow that.

So I wanna simply reset that data I wanna let empty. But can't do that. Anyone has an experience like that? or any solution? I don't wanna put there fake address or anything.

Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Kadir,

I see that your ticket is escalated to the correct department that will follow up with you soon. Please note that users whose accounts were closed are not allowed to create new accounts to comply with the Upwork Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kadir,

I already followed up with the team handling your case and you can expect an update on your open ticket very soon.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hey Aleksandar,

Unfortunately, I received a negative response to my ticket. They stated that they would not be able to help in this matter and it was not possible to leave it blank.

For this reason, I wrote here as a last resort. Unfortunately, in the face of this problem, I will not be doing business for 2 months or I will have to open a new account and close it this one.

I hope I can find a solution...

I may but virtual address maybe for showing in Tax Residence. I don't know... 😞

Thank you for your reply.

Hi Kadir,

I'm sorry to hear about that. The team will continue assisting you on your open ticket. However, please note that having multiple accounts is a serious violation of the Upwork's Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hey Aleksandar,

I know, I'll never use multiple accounts. I mean, I will close my current one and open a new one. But I'll wait until the ticket final answer before doing that.

I hope the problem can solve.

Thank you.

Hi Kadir,

I see that your ticket is escalated to the correct department that will follow up with you soon. Please note that users whose accounts were closed are not allowed to create new accounts to comply with the Upwork Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I'll be waiting. Thank you for the information and help. 🙂

petra_r
Community Member

Kadir O wrote:

Why don't you use the address that was your proper address before you went to university or your parents' address?

Petra R wrote:

Kadir O wrote:

Why don't you use the address that was your proper address before you went to university or your parents' address?

I was going to say the same thing. I wouldn't have thought it possible to have no address at all. Presumably you have a bank account and at least one credit card, a driving licence, a passport? Your school must have an address on file for you? What address do you use for all of that?

Until this May, I stayed with my family and all addresses are this address. But in the last 3-4 months, I don't have any legal address. I waiting for my college results, like which college I win etc. But it will be done in 1-2 months. So, the problem solved.

Thank you for all guys trying to help.

9183ecd8
Community Member

Hey I accidently filled Tax residence, Im from Sri Lanka and also we dont pay tax. please do check my account and rectify my mistake.

Hi Sharan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please know that the Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately. If you complete the W-8BEN certification, Upwork does not

• Withhold any taxes from your earnings
  • Use the Form W-8BEN to report your income to anyone
  • Ask for any taxpayer identification numbers on Form W-8BEN
  • Require you to fill out a paper form
  • Determine, or in any way affect, whether you owe taxes in your own country

You can find more information in this help article. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
ce52b5ea
Community Member

Hello, I accidentally filled out tax information and then found out it is not required for me. Now, I can't remove it. Could you help me?

Hi Tengizi,

Please be aware that all non-U.S. individual taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork must complete the W-8BEN form to verify that they are not a U.S. Person and are performing services outside of the United States.

Without this form as proof that you are based outside the U.S., we’ll be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send them to the IRS. As long as a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E form is correctly filled out and valid, we are not required to withhold at this rate.

Additionally, you must complete the form to activate your payment method and avoid delaying withdrawing your earnings. We suggest you check this help article to familiarize yourself with the importance of completing your Tax Information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members