cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I report a scammer?

nataliaspb
Natalia U Member Since: Aug 7, 2016
1 of 24

Basically, the question is in the heading. :-)

I received an "offer" to do some test translations (which is totally ok, every serious client needs that, so I wasn't worried at this point) for which I needed to have an account in Entropay (dear freelancers, never never never agree to get paid in any other way but through UpWork). Then, according to the "instructions" I would have to top-up my account to activate it (ORLY??) and send my login, password, and PIN to that person to enable them to pay me. LOL.

They are also using the name of a big international company, so it's likely that some people might fall for it. 

So, the question: How can I report this client?

(yes, I did flag the job post as phishing and scam, but it's already archived)

UPD: I also believe I posted this in a wrong category :-( 

Sorry about that! Is there a moderator to repost in in the "freelancers" community?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 24

Hi Natalia,

Please use this link to submit a support request. Please provide a screenshot of the client's request along with the job offer details.

Thank you.

Untitled
nataliaspb
3 of 24

Hi Vladimir,

thanks so much for the advice!

I submitted the request under "Policy violations" and attached a bunch of screenshots.

Hope this will help to protect other people who might be scammed by this person too.

analiacosta
Analia C Member Since: Aug 10, 2016
4 of 24

Hi Natalia! the same happened to me. Did you received the mails coming from **Edited for Community Guidelines**? I've alredy reported too.

analiacosta
5 of 24

Hi all, I want to know if any of you also aplied to this job and had the same answer: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

The job was posted by **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I applied and he/she asked me to send an email with my profile link. A few days later I received a mail from **Edited for Community Guidelines** telling me that I've been selected as a trasnlator and I had to create an Entropay account and give this person the user name, password, and card number in order to Top-up my card for payments. Then I'd receive a translation test which they'll pay in advance. 
I'm not sure if this person works for **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The mail said that it was an automated confirmation mail and I have to reply **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Even though everything seems good, the fact of giving a total stranger the password of an Entropay account is suspicious. 

I'd like to know what you people think about it.

Thanks in advance,

Analía

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 24

@Analia C wrote:

Hi all, I want to know if any of you also aplied to this job and had the same answer: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

The job was posted by **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I applied and he/she asked me to send an email with my profile link. A few days later I received a mail from **Edited for Community Guidelines** telling me that I've been selected as a trasnlator and I had to create an Entropay account and give this person the user name, password, and card number in order to Top-up my card for payments. Then I'd receive a translation test which they'll pay in advance. 
I'm not sure if this person works for **Edited for Community Guidelines**. The mail said that it was an automated confirmation mail and I have to reply **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Even though everything seems good, the fact of giving a total stranger the password of an Entropay account is suspicious. 

I'd like to know what you people think about it.

Thanks in advance,

Analía

The job is a scam. Report it to CS. However, any job you take on Upwork must be paid through Upwork. Circumvention is against the Terms of Service and you risk having your account suspended or worse. Make sure that any job you are offered has a proper contract set up so that you are either paid hourly with the tracker turned on, or on a fixed-rate basis with the amount you have agreed with the client funded into escrow.

Also read the ToS https://www.upwork.com/legal/and all the help pages about setting up as a freelancer on Upwork

analiacosta
7 of 24

Thank you so much for your answer! I'll be more carefull from now on. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 24

Good luck with the next job! Smiley Happy

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 24

Hi Analia,

I've checked and the job post you reported was addressed last week, along with the client's account. Please stop communicating with this client and report any similar requests to Customer Support.

Untitled
nataliaspb
10 of 24

Hi Analia

Yes, we are talking about the same person. 

I also reported them to Entropay and of course Enropay confirmed it was a scam. Not that I needed any confirmation, the scam was pretty obvious, but still.

I hope other freelancers will read it and will be more careful with their financial or personal info.

Unfortunately people like these make me lose faith in new clients here on UpWork who have no proven record of payments or any freelancer feedback.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS