🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can I search for videographer jobs in my ...
Page options
ivanmadethis
Community Member

How can I search for videographer jobs in my area only?

I can search for all the videography gigs but 99% of them are not in my area. So how can I search for videographer jobs in my area only?

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ivan,

You can use the Location filter to filter per country. You can put the name of the city in the search field as one of the keywords though. Sometimes clients mention the location in job posts if they are looking for freelancers who reside there.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hey Bojan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Filtering by country doesn't help much because the US is a big place. I don't need to see jobs on the east coast or even jobs that are in my state if they're in northern CA which is 8 hours away. Most clients don't mention the actual city they're in and if they do typically they might mention the neighborhood they're in instead of the city (such as Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc) so adding the city in the search field won't work either because there are hundreds of neighborhoods in LA county.

On top of it, whenever I search for any video production gigs I'm also seeing all the video editing gigs as well. It's very frustrating because I'm trying to find videographer gigs in LA county but all I'm seeing is $20 editing gigs on the east coast.

What am I doing wrong?? Is this how UpWork is really designed to work? Because this doesn't make any sense.

Ivan, you are not doing anything wrong.

Upwork just isn't set up for this.

So anything is a workaround shoehorned into the existing infrastructure.

Ivan I wrote:

Hey Bojan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Filtering by country doesn't help much because the US is a big place. I don't need to see jobs on the east coast or even jobs that are in my state if they're in northern CA which is 8 hours away. Most clients don't mention the actual city they're in and if they do typically they might mention the neighborhood they're in instead of the city (such as Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc) so adding the city in the search field won't work either because there are hundreds of neighborhoods in LA county.

On top of it, whenever I search for any video production gigs I'm also seeing all the video editing gigs as well. It's very frustrating because I'm trying to find videographer gigs in LA county but all I'm seeing is $20 editing gigs on the east coast.

What am I doing wrong?? Is this how UpWork is really designed to work? Because this doesn't make any sense.

Upwork probably isn't the best resource to find location-based gigs. That may seem odd since it allows people to register for gigs that require them to be on-site, but that is the way it is. You may get lucky and find some jobs, but I would imagine that they will be rare. I'm not sure Upwork would be the first place someone would turn if they were looking for a local videographer, particularly in LA. 

I completely agree with you. In fact, I think UpWork should be the last place anyone goes to to search for a local videographer. Unfortunately, UpWork's marketing team doesn't seem to think so. Upwork dominates google ads and any time anyone searches for a local videographer they end up on Upwork. So even though the website is not built for that purpose they sure are getting all the leads. The problem is - it's impossible to find those leads in a sea of posts...

petra_r
Community Member

Use your usual search term such as "videographer" and then the city

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members