🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How can I see a client's profile page?
Page options
robinstock
Community Member

How can I see a client's profile page?

Clients and potential clients can see my prfile - my success rate, my bio, etc - but I can't seem to figure out how I can see their profile?

19 REPLIES 19
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients do not have profile pages.

What you CAN see about a client is MUCH MORE USEFUL:

- How long has this person been a client?

- Where are they located?

- Are they payment-verified?

- How many jobs have they posted?

- What percentage of jobs that they posted resulted in hiring a freelancer?

- How much money have they spent paying freelancers?

- What is the average hourly rate that they pay?

- How many freelancers have they hired?

- How many active open job postings do they have?

- How many freelancers do they currently have working for them?

PLUS: You can see their work history, with all of their past jobs and how freelancers rated them and what freelancers said about them.

What more do you want to know?

You can see details such as these:

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 6.15.36 AM.png

These are the additional things I'd like to know about potential clients (and would be happy if they knew similar information about me):

1) What have been their average ratings for previous freelancers they worked with?

2) What is the average gap between a client's public ratings and private ratings for freelancers?

3) What percentage of the client's previous projects has used Upwork mediation?

4) What percentage of the client's previous projects has gone to arbitration?

5) How many of their previous projects have they cancelled?

Will:

That's a great post! You make a great point.

If I knew a client had ever used the dispute, mediation or arbitration processes, then that would be the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't go near such a person.

Preston:

I'd be most interested in 1) and 2). The client has total control of those numbers and a certain pattern of behavior would be a big red flag. I'd say less than 5% of my clients have been difficult to work with - that's a livable failure rate in my choice of remote clients.

I wouldn't be surprised if even a great potential client had some experience with 3), 4) and 5). There are apparently plenty of flaky and even dishonest freelancers on Upwork (which I'm sure Upwork does its best to remove) that can reel in even the best clients. I might ask about any arbitration before agreeing to work for a new client, but if it was a one-off I wouldn't dismiss the client automatically.

Will L wrote:

These are the additional things I'd like to know about potential clients (and would be happy if they knew similar information about me):

1) What have been their average ratings for previous freelancers they worked with?

2) What is the average gap between a client's public ratings and private ratings for freelancers?

I agree three through five could be useful.
1) I'm not seeing an average rating being nearly as useful as what one can glean from the most recent page of hiring history—where calculating a rough average, or spotting an erratic pattern, is trivial and likely more representative, and there are comments for context.

2) I imagine Upwork's unshakeable postion would be that to publish such a "gap" would render private ratings no longer private—and more practically, would provide pressure on clients to inflate private ratings to the degree they inflate public ones. Upwork's working, and justifiable, assumption is that private ratings are more accurate than public ones. I imagine they would like to keep it that way.

Preston H wrote:

PLUS: You can see their work history, with all of their past jobs and how freelancers rated them and what freelancers said about them.

I want to see the actual reviews, not just the rating. I can usually do that by looking at a client's job posting as opposed to an invitation, but I can't seem to find it from a client who sent an offer without posting a job.

re: "I want to see the actual reviews, not just the rating. I can usually do that by looking at a client's job posting as opposed to an invitation, but I can't seem to find it from a client who sent an offer without posting a job."

You are correct.

This is a long-standing user interface issue.

A fix to this has been frequently requested.

petra_r
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

Totally agree.

I am also only marginally interested in the feedback a client received (considering freelancers tend to leave 5 stars and nice comments by default) and WAAAAY more interested in the feedback the client left in the past.

"pain in the proverbial" clients are temporary. A nasty feedback on my profile is permanent.

Will L wrote:

Man, that was totally amazing! Smiley Happy In addition, I would like a "What is the percentage and reason of 'no feedback given'" I know it would be impossible, but if the system could detect it, it could opt from one of these: "The client didn't know how to use the system, the client was lazy or just didn't care, the freelancer was so bad that the client didn't want to rate him/her at all, the client was interested to keep working but then died."

Kelly B wrote:

I want to see the actual reviews, not just the rating. I can usually do that by looking at a client's job posting as opposed to an invitation, but I can't seem to find it from a client who sent an offer without posting a job.

Right. Many freelancers have asked about that, and it seems Upwork did not take note. It's strange the information is not available when se have a direct offer.

Kelly B wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Totally agree. I hope Upwork will fix this issue very soon.

Where can I find this information about my existing client?

I like the information given, but after accepting a job I can not find or refer back to see this information. Means I need to take print screen when doing the proposal. Or am I missing the location to check ? Thanks.

Richard T wrote:

I like the information given, but after accepting a job I can not find or refer back to see this information. Means I need to take print screen when doing the proposal. Or am I missing the location to check ? Thanks.

Go to the My Jobs, click on the contract, Go to the Terms & Settings tab, Click on "View original job posting" on the right

find job post.png

Those are great information; additionally I would love to address the Client by his name, so I would love to know or see his name somewhere and please how do I get that?

Some don't also state their company names, which I will love to know too.

Am I not getting it, or how can I search for the client's name?

If they have more than one job posting, and I like their jobs, I want to be able to apply to several of their ads. 

Thanks

Hi Jan,

Thank you for reaching out. That is not how the marketplace works. Only when you open a job posting will you see the client's information as Preston shown above. 

~ AJ
Upwork

Can we ever expect to see more useful info for us? Is our feedback listened to? Or will it land on deaf ears? Thank you. 

Hi Gabriela,

I can assure you that feedback shared in the Community is listened to. Whenever our members share something, we ensure this reaches the appropriate teams, so that changes that can be useful for our users are considered. What other information would you like to see from clients when looking at their job posts?

~ Luiggi
Upwork
roberty1y
Community Member

The problem is that clients can leave their bad history behind by starting afresh with a new account. However, I personally don't want to see it made any harder for clients to open an account (e.g. by their verifying identity, etc.), because it would discourage a lot of them from signing up. When someone has something they want done, they can start an acount and have the job posted in minutes. That's the attraction of Upwork for many people, even if some of them abuse it.

There are certain warning signs you can spot even if the client has no history for you to judge them by. People who are vague about the scope of the contract they want to start are an obvious example. Lack of a verified payment method is not a bad sign (lots of decent clients are slow to do so), as long as they verify it before starting any contract.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths