🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How can I treat refund request on open co...
Page options
zalakpadhiyar
Community Member

How can I treat refund request on open contract?

As a full-time freelancer, I have been working on Upwork for over 6 months and I had an hourly contract with the client. Contract was opened 4 months ago and still open now.
I have completed this project for 80 hours( 2 months, 10hrs/week) according to the proposal.
Although I have completed it and hosted it on server and also delivered project via github, client sent fully refund request.
Although he has his github profile, he said he doesn't have it and need fully refund now.

His requirement has been changed and I have worked on project for 2 months else for free based on proposal.

My fault is that I logged time manually.

I want to know how to resolve this problem.

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Zalakben P wrote:

My fault is that I logged time manually.

I want to know how to resolve this problem.

The client is currently "only" requesting a refund, which you are free to tell him that you are not willing to give. The client can dispute last week's hours (hours logged last week), and you will lose those hours by default because they were manual time.

Beyond that the client can request dispute mediation for everything that was billed within 30 days of them disputing, but that is generally non-binding, although Upwork reserves the right to look at your work diary during those 30 days and may rdecide to refund so or all at their discretion.

Manual time is risky and you should only use it with clients you know and trust because there is no protection at all.

Hello, Petra, Thanks for your reaching out me.
My last log tim was 2 months ago,and client was agreed me to log manually. And client needs fully refund even though he had perfect project 

Zalakben P wrote:

Hello, Petra, Thanks for your reaching out me.
My last log tim was 2 months ago,and client was agreed me to log manually. And client needs fully refund even though he had perfect project 

The client can't do anything to get a refund now. (short of a chargeback)

The time to dispute your hours is long over. It frankly doesn't matter what he says he needs. Just tell him politely and firmly that you will not refund.

For future reference, manual time is never protected, it does not matter if the client agrees to it or not. If a client disputes or fails to pay for manual time, you lose that money. But in your case the dispute time is long over.

Hello, Petra.
Thank you so much. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths