🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How can a client create Payment Automatio...
Page options
427a32fd
Community Member

How can a client create Payment Automation for a VA?

Hello,

I'm a Virtual Assistant for a client who would like to automate my payments every 2 weeks.

He asked me to find out how he can create payment automation, because currently, he must process my payment every 2 weeks manually.

I will appreciate your reply.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Noelia,

I just saw that the contract is set up as an hourly contract but that you are not logging any hours? Why is that? That' a very unsafe way of working because you are not taking advantage of Upwork's very good payment protection for hourly contracts.

It looks like the client is paying you via bonus payments, which is a way for the client to be easily able to not pay you at all, and gives you neither the protection of an hourly contract, nor that of a fixed rate one.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Noelia O wrote:

I'm a Virtual Assistant for a client who would like to automate my payments every 2 weeks.

He asked me to find out how he can create payment automation,

That is not possible. 

Hourly contracts are automatically billed and charged every week. So as long as he is happy to pay weekly, he should hire you on an hourly contract and you will get paid the hours you log every week. The client does not have to process any payments at all.

NikolaS

Hi Noelia,

As a freelancer, your billing period for hourly contracts begins on Monday and ends on Sunday. Your funds are available 10 days later.

When working hourly contracts, all time logged in the Work Diary by the freelancer is automatically invoiced to the client using the schedule below.

• Week 1 – Freelancer logs time using the Upwork desktop app and Work Diary.
  • Week 2 – Hours within the weekly limit invoice to your clients on Monday. They have until Friday to review the work. Then the review period ends.
  • Week 3 – Earnings become available on the following Wednesday.

BillingCycle.png

I would like to clarify that only hourly contracts have a weekly billing cycle and only hours and set weekly payments are invoiced automatically for freelancers. Miscellaneous, milestone, or bonus payments may also be issued on all contracts as needed. These one-off, client-initiated payments invoice immediately upon submittal. The funds are billed to the client’s escrow balance (fixed-price milestones) or primary billing method (all other manual payments) within 24 hours and released to the freelancer after the security period.

You can find more information in this help article. Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Noelia,

I just saw that the contract is set up as an hourly contract but that you are not logging any hours? Why is that? That' a very unsafe way of working because you are not taking advantage of Upwork's very good payment protection for hourly contracts.

It looks like the client is paying you via bonus payments, which is a way for the client to be easily able to not pay you at all, and gives you neither the protection of an hourly contract, nor that of a fixed rate one.

427a32fd
Community Member

Hello!

Thank you so much for your reply. Everything you said clarifies what we should do. So far, my client has been paying with a bonus because neither of us had a clear understanding of the UpWork advantages.

Thank you so much Petra!

427a32fd
Community Member

Hello Nikola S!

Petra and you gave me valuable information! Thank you so much for the illustration! 

Sincerely,

Noelia O.

1ed95b5e
Community Member

This is very informative helped me a lot thanks for sharing

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths