Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can fixed rates be so low?

Highlighted
Barbra H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
11 of 36

@Cathy C wrote:

Some listings say things like “edit 50-page report” and give a fixed price of $20.  Yet it is not possible for someone to perform the work required and still be reasonably compensated (at least over the $3.00 minimum).

How can this be?  What am I missing?  

You'll find a lot of those kinds of listings in writing and editing. Some people actually think there's not much skill needed for the job, while others put those numbers in just as a placeholder because they really don't know what a good price is. When I see those, I take a look at the client's previous jobs and what they paid for them (if they have hired previously) so I can find out if they really only pay that much.

One job I was hired for had a ridiculously low budget listed for the work, but the project sounded interesting so I sent a proposal based on my estimated time and regular hourly rate. I did end up negotiating a lower rate, but it was still acceptable for my time and effort, and the client paid about 700% more than their stated budget.

You don't want to use a lot of your connects sending reasonable proposals for those low budgeted jobs, as there are a ton of people who really do think they can get expert service for next to nothing, but some of them can be worth it. 

And, as someone else said, some of the budgets we wouldn't look twice at are very acceptable to other freelancers, so you just have to use your own judgment in regards to whether or not you want to send a proposal.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
12 of 36

Thank you for sharing your experiences.    Those are the helpful insights I am looking for.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Robyn L Member Since: Apr 30, 2016
13 of 36

Hi Cathy

I'm new as well. All I can say is that there is a learning curve on Upwork. You can't know everything in a few days.

I am taking time each day to read articles and check out the community posts.

The mistake I made was to do proposals for anything that seemed suited. I now know more about waht to look for before I use up connects on something that isn't right for my expertise.

I'd also like to say how great it is to get advice from experienced Upworkers who take their valuable time to share their knowledge.

I've only completed one small project and it took me longer than it should have to complete. It was fixed rate work and too low for the amount of  work required. I put it down to experience as it was a start. I am now more knowledgeable and confident to move forward.

Hang in there, and be selective. I hope my spin on this topic has been a help.

Robyn L - from Australia

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 36

I saw one ths morning looking for someone to write 7,500 words in "perfect grammar" in 24-48 hours for $80. 

People can ask for anything. Getting it (and being happy with the results) are a different matter.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 36

Yep, people throw budgets at me all the time. I just bid my rate for the amount of time I think it will take. Of course, I screwed up this morning and broke my rule about communication before adequate coffee and accidentally bid my old rate. -_-

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 36

@Tiffany S wrote:

I saw one ths morning looking for someone to write 7,500 words in "perfect grammar" in 24-48 hours for $80. 

People can ask for anything. Getting it (and being happy with the results) are a different matter.

Oh, Tiffany, the worst is that sometimes clients are happy with the results - and we see them daily on the Internet or in Amazon's swamplands.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Marco V Member Since: Apr 2, 2016
17 of 36

And it gets worse, especially for writers.

I've just seen a job offering $5 for 2500 word story. 

It says something like:

"Can you write a steamy short story? Looking for writers who able to write a hot, original 2500 word story efficiently and effectively. On going relationships are the goal. $5 per story. First contract will be 10 stories at a fixed price of $50."

He basically expects 25000 words for $50. Do these people think that creating writing is like data entry (no offense meant to freelancers who are working on data entry), or they just don't care and want something cheap no matter the quality? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 36

re: "Can you write a steamy short story? Looking for writers who able to write a hot, original 2500 word story efficiently and effectively."

I actually applied to that job. I sent them my recipe for Chinese dim sum.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 36

Preston H wrote:

re: "Can you write a steamy short story? Looking for writers who able to write a hot, original 2500 word story efficiently and effectively."

I actually applied to that job. I sent them my recipe for Chinese dim sum.

Smiley Very Happy That's a keeper Preston!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
20 of 36

Did you send that receipe in English or in Chinese?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS