🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can i get my first job?
Page options
1719f2c7
Community Member

How can i get my first job?

I have submitted several proposals and am yet to land my dream job, is there anything am doing wrong?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hsieh-kevin
Community Member

A few tips:

1) Make sure your cover letter and answers are unique and address the proposal (Don't use Cookie Cutter responses)

2) Make sure you are bidding a reasonable market price for the job

3) Don't feel discouraged - sometimes you can submit 10+ proposals with a response; try to work on your profile and make sure its the best it can be

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hsieh-kevin
Community Member

A few tips:

1) Make sure your cover letter and answers are unique and address the proposal (Don't use Cookie Cutter responses)

2) Make sure you are bidding a reasonable market price for the job

3) Don't feel discouraged - sometimes you can submit 10+ proposals with a response; try to work on your profile and make sure its the best it can be

nvision4d
Community Member

I agree with Kevin. And also what's important is to understand your personal skill level when it comes to pricing. It's frustrating but people come to Upwork to try to get professional work for pennies on the dollar. I always laugh when I see a post that says "Willing to pay more for Expert" and then their hourly range is $10-$20. No "Expert" in any developed country can work for that rate. 

So, price yourself competively given your skill range. If you have more skill, point that out in your proposal and it will help to offset why your rate might be slightly higher than the average.

And, don't give up. I sometimes bid on 20-30 projects before I get one. Likewise, don't expect to get your dream job/project. Just get jobs that you'll enjoy, learn and make some money from. As you build a base, you'll have more to offer as you go for bigger and better jobs. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members