🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How can we improve My Stats? Share your f...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

How can we improve My Stats? Share your feedback.

Hello Community! We are considering ways to make My Stats an even more transparent and helpful tool—a tool with insights that show you ways to improve your success on Upwork.

By navigating to Find Work > My Stats, you will find insights on your client satisfaction, responsiveness to invitations, and how clients engage with you after receiving your proposals.

Our questions to you:

1. What existing metrics have been most helpful for you? 
  2. What other information do you wish was available in My Stats? 
  3. How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform

All feedback and suggestions are welcome! 

Untitled
99 REPLIES 99
shujagraphy7
Community Member

hello!

this is the question I am expecting for so long.

1.What existing metrics have been most helpful for you? 

in my stats, the most helpful matrics are the Client Satisfaction section because it helps me a lot to check whether I am in the right direction or not.

2.What other information do you wish was available in My Stats? 

i which upwork have statics which show us today or in last week how many Upwork users (clients) open our project catalog specific project or any of them and how many times our project appears in search results any tags ranking which we use on our catalog project. this would be the best section in My stats if Upwork introduce this feature,

3.How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform? 

if Upwork introduces such a feature which I mentioned in Q2 then it helps me a lot to grow my Upwork carrier.

e_skoldebring
Community Member

I would like more earningscentric stats.

The 12 month earnings is nice but useless since its dynamic. I would like:

- Lifetime earnings (I want to know how far away I am from 200K on my profile, it would motivate me to know im close)

- Yearly earnings - how am I doing this year compared to last and the one before? Again - motivating!

Perhaps some kind of profitability indicator that shows im getting higher paid projects/higher average hourly pay, etc. 

Erik S wrote:

I would like more earningscentric stats.

The 12 month earnings is nice but useless since its dynamic. I would like:

- Lifetime earnings (I want to know how far away I am from 200K on my profile, it would motivate me to know im close)

- Yearly earnings - how am I doing this year compared to last and the one before? Again - motivating!

Perhaps some kind of profitability indicator that shows im getting higher paid projects/higher average hourly pay, etc. 

I'd like this as well. Lifetime earnings, average earnings per client, and also lifetime and yearly Upwork fees (in $ and %). In addition to the 12-month earnings stats we already have.

Be 100% transaperent on how JSS is calculated. (For example, mine dropped a point this week even though I haven't closed any contracts or received feedback for a month--why????) I'd love to see how this is calculated since it affects me materially. 

petra_r
Community Member

Matthew W K wrote:

(For example, mine dropped a point this week even though I haven't closed any contracts or received feedback for a month--why????)

Good outcome(s) falling out of your calculation window, increasing the "weight" of any poor outcome(s) left in it.

jennifervh
Community Member

Great question!

I've had two questions regarding this page for awhile.

1. In the Marketing Effectiveness section, it would be good to have some information about what I can do to get viewed more often. Can I move the bar here at all?

screenshot.jpg

2. I've gotten emails (sorry, didn't save any, don't have example text) which say something to the effect that I've been viewed x times in the past week, click through to see who's viewing my profile so I can proactively apply to those jobs. I have clicked through a few times, but I don't see who has actually viewed my profile or even what jobs the views might be attached to. I think this is a nice feature, but it doesn't seem to work (or maybe I'm missing something).

Best,

Jennifer

10x10px Blank.png

Jennifer V wrote:

1. In the Marketing Effectiveness section, it would be good to have some information about what I can do to get viewed more often. Can I move the bar here at all?

screenshot.jpg

2. I've gotten emails (sorry, didn't save any, don't have example text) which say something to the effect that I've been viewed x times in the past week, click through to see who's viewing my profile so I can proactively apply to those jobs. I have clicked through a few times, but I don't see who has actually viewed my profile or even what jobs the views might be attached to. I think this is a nice feature, but it doesn't seem to work (or maybe I'm missing something).

1. Why? You're getting impressively hired more than your (purported) market peers. My hire stat virtually always beats my views stat, and not uncommonly my interview stat. Views don't pay the bills.

2. I think (and hope!) those emails have been retired in favor of the notifications that client x has viewed your profile (they use language something like "may be interested"?). These may be somewhat intrusive, but they're more direct and less cumbersome than the old system, which required disregarding the generic client field descriptions and poking at the relatively rare indication of a specific job.

Hi Douglas, missed your reply until now but thanks for responding.

1. I seem to go through cycles - it seems like I may get a fair amount of interest for a week or so, and then go for quite awhile with no invitations to interview. I wondered if freelancers "take turns" (so to speak) being seen in searches (which is fair) and so I'll always just turn up once a month or so, or if there's something I'm doing or not doing on the site that would making me less likely to turn up. (I'm surprised my "you were hired" bar is high because it definitely happens that clients will fade after an interview, or sometimes it turns out the project's not really in my area and I point the client somewhere else).

2. Hmm, I haven't seen notifications that clients may be interested or have viewed my profile.

atlinguist
Community Member

1. Ratings of my work after completion, excluding the rating for the price/fee.

2. Type of client: enterprise on UW (business account), enterprise or company listed as such in country of origin, private client, repeat cient from platform perspective (i.e. left the platform and then came back to open a new account)

3. My Stats is nice to have, but it does not make me more effective. That is something only my talent, education, willingness to learn, etc. can do.

Responsiveness to invitations does NOT help me at all because I often get those after business hours and on Sundays (when I am not willing or able to reply promptly). But THANKS for asking!!! Feels like my opinion matters.

Alexandra H wrote:

1. Ratings of my work after completion, excluding the rating for the price/fee.

2. Type of client: enterprise on UW (business account), enterprise or company listed as such in country of origin, private client, repeat cient from platform perspective (i.e. left the platform and then came back to open a new account)

1. There is no rating for the price/fee?

2. Most of those Upwork simply wouldn't know.

Well, but the client gives you a star-rating based on a number of factors, and one of those is the price (i.e. whether they thought that it was too expensive or not). 

Most statistics are based on machine algorithms that someone programs. You can program to check for identical addresses, credit cards, anything you like. 

BTW, speaking of algorithms, there is this new feature of a message that keeps popping up after you have completed a milestone nudging you to "suggest" to your client to fund the next milestone. All very well, but please understand that I cannot request an author who has just spent well over one-thousand pounds to fund the next milestone after a short period of time. PLEASE leave those kinds of decisions up to our judgement. 

Alexandra H wrote:

Well, but the client gives you a star-rating based on a number of factors, and one of those is the price (i.e. whether they thought that it was too expensive or not). 

No, there is no such thing.

There is Skills, Quality, Availability, Deadlines, Communication and Cooperation. None that has anything to do with value for money.

Alexandra H wrote:

BTW, speaking of algorithms, there is this new feature of a message that keeps popping up after you have completed a milestone nudging you to "suggest" to your client to fund the next milestone. All very well, but please understand that I cannot request an author who has just spent well over one-thousand pounds to fund the next milestone after a short period of time. PLEASE leave those kinds of decisions up to our judgement. 

Yes, I saw it on my phone. It just tells unexperienced freelancers to harass clients to get more work. As a client I tend not to rehire these freelancers and it also reflects in the feedback I leave.

I would like insight into my funnel

How many invites did I get - of those how many did I decline/accept

How many proposals converted into contracts

How many open market proposals did I make and how many converted

Then maybe something about the pipeline, like unawarded proposals in last 2 weeks and 30 days.

If you really want to improve the platform, put 1/2 the effort into rooting out scam clients as you do getting rid of scam freelancers

It is getting ridiculous

donfak
Community Member

One crucial metric that's missing is the Lifetime Earnings. This should be obvious, but the other day I couldn't find this information and had to manually do my maths. 😕

And what about a "How To Improve" bloc on that page? It could display one personalized tip to each freelancer with an advice on how he could perform better on the platform. This could be based on analyzing criteria that have caused the freelancer JSS to drop recently or some other analysis based on what Upwork considers as bad practices.

This way, Upwork won't have to disclose any of those JSS secret ingredients and still give a glimpte to freelancers about what they are doing wrong.

richardrader
Community Member

I would like the ability to be able to enter a google analytics id to be able to do some tracking on my own end. Many marketplaces include this ability and would be helpful to know where traffic is coming from and to track events. This would allow us to market our profiles ourselves (I know I get traffic to my profile from marketing I do outside of UpWork). Events like portfolio clicks would be helpful so we know which portfolio items are of interest to clients. Plus most of the tracking would be done on google analytics end.

To cover the cost of development of this feature you could even include it in the freelancer plus membership (it would entice me to buy it, I don't really use connects anyway). 

abdallah_abis
Community Member

I don't know why that takes a whole week two refresh, You SHOULD refresh the stats every day, especially the Profile Views Part.

Abdallah A wrote:

I don't know why that takes a whole week two refresh, You SHOULD refresh the stats every day, especially the Profile Views Part.

Only the JSS is updated only every 2 weeks (on a Sunday afternoon UTC).

The profile views are updated every day already.

psbhosale
Community Member

The important part of My Stats page is the Client Satisfaction section.

A project closure event should immediately trigger the Client Satisfaction section (at least the Clients who would recommend you) instead of waiting for the regular window.

niravtranslation
Community Member

Dear Lena,

Appreciate your initiative. Kindly note my opinions as below:

1. What existing metrics have been most helpful for you? Ans: Customer Retention Rate. 
  2. What other information do you wish was available in My Stats? Ans: I think whatever is there suffices.
  3. How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform? Ans: In my polite opinion, a button named 'My Stats' or 'Freelancer's Stats' should be made available for clients for each of the freelancers' bids. So apart from reading the bid text, the client can straight away take a look at the trust factor of the freelancer. This will also enable freelancers to lessen their bid text, because many of us use the stats as one of the important factors to attract clients.

Thanks and regards,

Nirav

Of the suggestions made, here’s what I like/suggest:

1. Do not omit anything

2. Add a feature that tells us how many of my proposals have been viewed by clients

3. How often my proposal fell in the “best match” category …in the past month, quarter and year.

4. Give marketing effectiveness more context. It’s pretty useless as is as others have said and needs to be improved

5. I’d also give the JSS calculation a little more explanation here, as someone else suggested. Upwork’s idea that we would gain the system by revealing this to us is absurd. If Upwork is 100% transparent with all of their freelancers, then how can any one freelancer gain the system. Give us all the same advantage.

6. Invites - a lot of people complain it’s not useful. So rather than omitting, is there a way we can make this more useful? I don’t have the answer…that’s what your high-paid cracker jack Upwork employees are for. I’m just a self-employed dude looking for work.

audrey1111
Community Member

What I use most:

• entire Client Satisfaction section (agree it would be nice to see lifetime earnings there)

To add:

• stats on proposals/invitations/interviews/contracts, as others in the thread have broken out well
  • I'd like to know final outcome for jobs I didn't get, current year and previous year:
    •   number+percent where no one was hired
    •   for those with a hire:
      • percent hiring at a lower rate vs a higher rate compared to my bid
      • percent hiring a freelancer with more vs. less Upwork experience than me
  • stats on Project Catalog:
    • How often each of my project pages were viewed; how many times each project was ordered and completed (annual and lifetime)
    • What those stats look like for other similar projects (e.g. average and max by category and specialty)

Related:

• The Certificate of Earnings is super-useful, but it would be really really helpful to have additional versions of it that reflected the current calendar year and the previous calendar year (ideally broken down by quarters), for situations where annual and YTD data is required.

Thanks!

noureddinex0
Community Member

Upwork talent search stats

What keywords clients who invited me where searching for?

What keywords clients who saw my profile where searching for?

Where do I appear in search on most relevant keywords? (for example: I appear in Page 1 when you search "OPNsense" and Page 11 when you search "Nginx")

maybe some other Upwork talent search related stats that I don't have in mind

bundie702
Community Member

How about a total of earnings for each calendar year (and an updated total year-to-date for the current year)?

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Clients who would recommend should be a percentage of only clients who left feedback, and not of all clients as is currently the case.

This would also be in keeping with recent changes to how no-feedback contracts are factored into the JSS.

Abinadab A wrote:

Clients who would recommend should be a percentage of only clients who left feedback, 

It already is exactly that and has been all along

Abinadab A wrote:

and not of all clients as is currently the case..

It isn't currently of all clients and never has been. It's purely of the clients who left feedback.

You don't appear to have understood my comment. By "of" I meant "over".

Currently if a freelancer has $100k in total earnings but only received feedback in $75k of contracts, his recommended score cannot be above 75%. It will tend towards 75%, but will not cross it.

I'm saying that that's not appropriate.

wrote:
Currently if a freelancer has $100k in total earnings but only received feedback in $75k of contracts, his recommended score cannot be above 75%. It will tend towards 75%, but will not cross it.

This is entirely untrue. (my own would be proof because it could not be in the high nineties if what you say were true, which it isn't) - The metric ONLY counts the private feedback of those clients who actually did leave feedback. Clients who left no feedback are completely excluded.

If a freelancer has a "Clients who would recommend" percentage of 75% it's because their clients (those who left feedback) left private feedback that suggested to the system that they were not happy in 25% of cases. It's basically the "private and lifetime" JSS. 

Abinadab wrote:

It would indeed not be appropriate if it was the case; alas, it isn't.

Your representations on this matter are not correct, Petra.

Abinadab A wrote:
Your representations on this matter are not correct, Petra.

Yes, they are.

Abinadab A wrote:
Currently if a freelancer has $100k in total earnings but only received feedback in $75k of contracts, his recommended score cannot be above 75%. It will tend towards 75%, but will not cross it.

If this was true, my "Client who would recommend you" would be hovering around 50%, but it's in the mid 90s.

petra_r
Community Member

Renante V wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

If this was true, my "Client who would recommend you" would be hovering around 50%, but it's in the mid 90s.

Mine would be in the low 80s instead of high 90s because my "no feedback" rate is around 10% but there was a huge ($100k+) one among them. I don't even know where the idea comes from that it includes contracts with clients who didn't leave any feedback.

shantanu192
Community Member

Hi!

Here is one suggestion from my end: There should be a section where I can see a bar graph of my monthly earning or a trend line. 

That would be helpful.

Thanks!

0ebff118
Community Member

Thanks for asking! "My stats" should also show the personal feedback given by clients so that freelancers can actually improve/work on their skills. BTW I can't see any point in separate public and private feedbacks by clients. And both affects the JSS of freelancers. For me it only creates hypocrisy as most clients give you a 5/5 feedback publically while a poor one privately. Thanks in advance!!

neerajdhameliya
Community Member

I have Top rated batch but by only one low rating my success rate goes down from 100% to 89% and starts decreasing Top Rated eligible weeks although other Jobs are in progress.

That's not fair and still, wait for 2 months for the Top-rated batch.
upwork.com/fl/neerajdhameliya

Screenshot_2021-03-17  upwork my-stats-nuxt.png

Other all clients are satisfied and rewarded me with new projects and bounce. Due to this, I have to work at a cheap price just to get a good project.

Please discuss with the freelancer once before taking down his stats to 100% to 89%.

clients don't lose anything if their account has a low rating but if we have the same It's totally affecting our freelancing career.
Please do something about this.

Niral D wrote:

I have Top rated batch but by only one low rating my success rate goes down from 100% to 89% and starts decreasing Top Rated eligible weeks although other Jobs are in progress.

Your JSS is 95% and it wasn't "just one low rating". You had poor private feedback in more than one, as is clear from your poor private feedback percentage.

87.png

Niral D wrote:

Please discuss with the freelancer once before taking down his stats 

There is nothing to discuss? It's automatic, not negotiated.

Hi Petra,
As you said I had poor private feedback in more than one if that's the case then UpWork let know us about this so, we can more improve our service to the clients. If we see the client is happy with our work and provide 5 stars rating so, obviously anyone thinks that client liked their work & as I know about my client all are very satisfied except few but they didn't provide poor ratings and I didn't ask to them for Five-star ratings and all that stuff. they provide with his own.
We always trying how to provide better service to clients but if UpWork would consider the private feedback & basis on that if Job success score affected then that's not right.

If clients didn't tell the freelancers what they not liked or doing wrong with them. how freelancers will know?

I hope, you understand my concern.

proseobd
Community Member

Bid in a Rythm, Don't stop completly and don't be so quick.

Always reply inside 24hr and Give value to your client's. That's all.

bb7effcf
Community Member

My only suggestion regarding this is making Upwork a marketplace that's fairer between freelancer-client, because currently it works as a marketplace for people looking to hire without equally acknowledging the freelancer's work.

To make things clearer: a pattern of a client working with 10+ freelancers and giving all of them poor feedback should demonstrate that the problem is in the client and in the fact that they cant appreciate anything anyone does for them. In an ideal scenario, a client like that shouldn't have the same impact on freelancers' JSS than a client who's professional, friendly, says "Hi" at least before starting with giving orders, and acknowledges that the work is being done by a human on the other side. 

I'm not saying i was traumatized by any experiences here but in the 61 jobs i've taken i have dealt with few clients that were really really bad at doing business, unprofessional and that just don't like appreciating the work that freelancers do for them. This can also be proven by us submitting conversations where we were clearly disrespected by the client.

All i'm saying is a client like this shouldn't have the same impact on freelancers' JSS as another client that's more professional and humane. Let alone, if they've worked with 50-100 freelancers and given them all 3/4 stars because they enjoy doing so!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths