🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How can we improve My Stats? Share your f...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

How can we improve My Stats? Share your feedback.

Hello Community! We are considering ways to make My Stats an even more transparent and helpful tool—a tool with insights that show you ways to improve your success on Upwork.

By navigating to Find Work > My Stats, you will find insights on your client satisfaction, responsiveness to invitations, and how clients engage with you after receiving your proposals.

Our questions to you:

1. What existing metrics have been most helpful for you? 
  2. What other information do you wish was available in My Stats? 
  3. How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform

All feedback and suggestions are welcome! 

Untitled
99 REPLIES 99
petra_r
Community Member

Alexis B wrote:

Let alone, if they've worked with 50-100 freelancers and given them all 3/4 stars because they enjoy doing so!

Freelancers can see the client's history. When I see a history like that, of course I don't work with such a client. And anyway, contracts with clients who have a history of a hih percentage of poor outcomes are excluded from the JSS anyway.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about the My Stats page, not about the JSS calculation.

Alexis B wrote:

a pattern of a client working with 10+ freelancers and giving all of them poor feedback should demonstrate that the problem is in the client and in the fact that they cant appreciate anything anyone does for them. In an ideal scenario,

In an ideal scenario, freelancers have the common sense not to apply to such job posts and not to work with such a client.

please help me, how to improve my status?

shivafernandes
Community Member

I love numbers and I believe the more the merrier so here are my general ideas (some will go over already stabilished metrics):

How Many Jobs I applied too:
- How many I was hired;
- How many I lost to other freelancer(s)
- How many closed without any hiring or are still open.

How much I ask for (can be for paid users only, if you will):
- The average regarding other candidates for the same jobs: how many % I'm asking above or below the averages on the jobs I apply? (ie: "You usually are 10% more expensive than your peers").
- On the Jobs I've lost, what is the difference between me and whose got it?
ie: "You lost X jobs for a candidate who asked for a lower payment" "you lost Y jobs for a candidate who has a bigger rating than you" etc...

Cover & Attachments:
- How many attachments I've sent / How many clien'ts clicked on them.
- How many times my cover letter was read (not sure how to track it)>

Bonus: How many jobs I've lost to a person who has a shorter first name than I do.

zoe-barnett
Community Member

What existing metrics have been most helpful for you?

I look at the three bars for "Compared to your peers" to see the relation and think about how to improve my approach to applying for jobs.

What other information do you wish was available in My Stats?

The same information, but why does it have to be compared to my peers? Couldn't it just be a number? With an option to aggregate for week month, and year. I'm more interested in beating personal targets than I am in beating unknown peers.

Maybe a breakdown of how I'm rated by clients for each of the feedback stars (would recommend again, reliable, and so on). That would give me something to think about.

How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform? 

Mostly I use it for thinking about what I need to work on to be more successful in applying for jobs. So anything that helps with that would be useful.

But I should add: More than on the stats page, I wish you'd give more information directly on the Proposals page (for jobs I've applied to):

Number of applicants:

Interviewing:

Hired:

Right now I have to click through two pages to get that information. It would be great to see it right next to my proposal, so I can see when someone got hired.

sparkesusan
Community Member

The only thing of interest to me is how to get rid of "payment unverified" scammer clients.  There are huge stings of them to wade through to get to the legit jobs.  How about building in a block?  If you can't verify the payment, you can't post a job.  

Susan S wrote:

The only thing of interest to me is how to get rid of "payment unverified" scammer clients. 

You can simply filter them out (and that has nothing to do with the My Stats page).

Unverified clients are not necessarily scammers. In fact, the vast majority aren't. They are simply new to the platform. I've never once had an issue with any of the many clients I've worked with, who didn't have a verified payment method when they hired me. 

Susan S wrote:

How about building in a block?  If you can't verify the payment, you can't post a job.  

Bad idea. It would cost Upwork a fortune and would mean far less clients and money for us freelancers. It would be horribly unfair on all the freelancers who make lots of money working with lovely new clients.

Susan S wrote:

The only thing of interest to me is how to get rid of "payment unverified" scammer clients.  There are huge stings of them to wade through to get to the legit jobs.  How about building in a block?  If you can't verify the payment, you can't post a job.  

Most of the folks posting with unverified payments are just fine. I work with them all the time. The key is to make sure the payment method is verified before accepting the offer, which I usually handle with a simple "by the way, please take care of this before I accept."

It's just like how I don't show the grocery cashier my credit card until I'm ready to checkout.

Susan S wrote:

Do people really get that many "scammer clients?"

I literally have had not one single problem with any of my unverified clients... as soon as they want to open a contract, they can verify it in seconds. It's not that serious.

Or, if it is that serious, it means someone is not doing a good job vetting clients. There are plenty of signs if someone is a scammer and it's not about the verified badge, it's demeanor and your own common sense.

Gina H wrote: 

Do people really get that many "scammer clients?"

Mainly new, US based, entry level freelancers do. The old fake check scam.

I actually have a lot of common sense and have never gotten taken by a scammer.  Thanks for the education, though.

alejandrocrespo
Community Member

I think that the statistics should contain useful information that gives us feedback on the effectiveness of our marketing channels. We have a limited amount of tools to market ourselves to the client, so a stat to show each of these tools is a must.

• Proposal effectiveness (% of proposal views by clients)
  • SEO (Number of times appearing in the first results)
  • Interviews effectiveness (% of interviews resulting on landing jobs)
  • Profile effectiveness (Conversion rate of profile views)

Also stats on the portfolio would be great: Which sections are the most viewed, etc

The same would apply for projects. Currently there are no stats on them!

shetani
Community Member

I hate to be the person who jumps ship for a year and comes back with feature requests out of the gate, but really, when can we expect an update to My Stats page?

We now have specialized profiles, categorized portfolio items, projects, direct contracts, and yet the stats page still only shows some ambiguous info about profile views and proposals/hire rate among others "in our category".

So if I may make some suggestions, can we get some or all of the below in whatever format as long as it's accurate:

- Proposals: # of proposals viewed/clicked on, awarded, declined (archived would be nice too but I understand if there are privacy issues with this) - calculate our conversion rate for us?

- General and specialized profiles: # of times showed up in search results, viewed/clicked on, viewed by client or freelancer, viewed by Upwork user or outside (not logged in), keywords used in search (if possible)

- Projects: # of times showed up in search, viewed/clicked on, saved, keywords used

- Portfolio items: same as above minus keywords

I don't know what kind of data you're actually tracking so some of these might not even be easy or possible to implement, that's fine. But if you could help us with some more stats to show us our marketing performance, I'm sure some of us would be able to use it to fine-tune our stuff.

Some people might not care about this info or might not need it, some might not know what to do with it, that's all fine - but for those of us who would find a way to work with it, it can hurt to have this data right?

I'm curious what other people think and if you guys have some other suggestions, especially the more successful freelancers on here. If we get some good suggestions going, maybe Upwork can take our ideas instead of rolling out something out of the left field like that "who viewed" page lol (which I now can't even seem to find anymore, so I guess that was short-lived).
tlbp
Community Member

Ines H wrote:
I hate to be the person who jumps ship for a year and comes back with feature requests out of the gate, but really, when can we expect an update to My Stats page?

We now have specialized profiles, categorized portfolio items, projects, direct contracts, and yet the stats page still only shows some ambiguous info about profile views and proposals/hire rate among others "in our category".

So if I may make some suggestions, can we get some or all of the below in whatever format as long as it's accurate:

- Proposals: # of proposals viewed/clicked on, awarded, declined (archived would be nice too but I understand if there are privacy issues with this) - calculate our conversion rate for us?

- General and specialized profiles: # of times showed up in search results, viewed/clicked on, viewed by client or freelancer, viewed by Upwork user or outside (not logged in), keywords used in search (if possible)

- Projects: # of times showed up in search, viewed/clicked on, saved, keywords used

- Portfolio items: same as above minus keywords

I don't know what kind of data you're actually tracking so some of these might not even be easy or possible to implement, that's fine. But if you could help us with some more stats to show us our marketing performance, I'm sure some of us would be able to use it to fine-tune our stuff.

Some people might not care about this info or might not need it, some might not know what to do with it, that's all fine - but for those of us who would find a way to work with it, it can hurt to have this data right?

I'm curious what other people think and if you guys have some other suggestions, especially the more successful freelancers on here. If we get some good suggestions going, maybe Upwork can take our ideas instead of rolling out something out of the left field like that "who viewed" page lol (which I now can't even seem to find anymore, so I guess that was short-lived).

I'm not sure I count as successful in terms of earnings, but I'm happy with the clients I contract with via Upwork. I don't think I would use many of these features. They all seem to be "did somebody look?" kind of stats. I don't know that this information would help me obtain more conversions. 

Maybe it would be more beneficial for someone starting out who is trying to improve their profile. It might help Upwork by reducing the number of people coming to the forum complaining that their profile and proposals must be inivisible. 🙂

shetani
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

I'm not sure I count as successful in terms of earnings,

If you don't, I don't know who does.

They all seem to be "did somebody look?" kind of stats. I don't know that this information would help me obtain more conversions. 

It definitely should, that's exactly why people pay top dollar to have analytics on their websites, A/B testing of their landing pages, email campaigns, sales funnels, trackers on every CTA button ever.

For example, let's say you notice one of your portfolio items is being viewed 100 times per day, and the rest are being viewed 10 times per day. You could use this info to update your portfolio with items similar to the popular one and that might increase your conversion rate.

Or, let's say you publish a project "you'll get a website built in Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal" and it shows up in search results 10 times per month. Then you rename it to "you'll get a professional business website" and it shows up in search results 200 times per month. Knowing these numbers means you'll never again rename your project back to the one that performed badly, and your new version might increase your conversion rate. 

---

Wow I just got dumped in Upwork's big thread for this. In my defense, it wasn't stickied so I didn't see it. Thanks Valeria!

Ines H wrote:

Wow I just got dumped in Upwork's big thread for this. In my defense, it wasn't stickied so I didn't see it. Thanks Valeria!

No worries, Ines! That's exactly what we're here for - to note where similar topics have been discussed and to merge/move posts when appropriate. That way we can also share feedback with our product teams and inform the Community about any updates more effectively. I'll be sharing your comment with the team as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Ines,
Thank you for your feedback. I’ve merged your post into this thread that we used to collect feedback about My Stats and improvements talent would like to see with this feature.

We would like to say as well that we appreciate everyone’s feedback here and please know that the team collected the suggestions everyone provided. These will be helpful once the team starts work on My Stats. Although we don’t have a timeline for when updates may be released, we will be certain to update the Community when changes are made.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Ines H wrote:
rolling out something out of the left field like that "who viewed" page lol (which I now can't even seem to find anymore, so I guess that was short-lived).

Who viewed you went 'Poof'.

mahrukh001
Community Member

Hello Lena!

As an experienced freelancer designer, I've found My Stats to be a valuable tool for gauging my performance and identifying areas for improvement. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1. Existing Metrics: The metrics related to client satisfaction and responsiveness to invitations have been incredibly helpful for me. Knowing how my clients perceive my work and how promptly I respond to invitations gives me valuable insights into my overall performance.

2. Additional Information: One aspect I'd love to see in My Stats is more detailed feedback from clients. While the overall client satisfaction rating is useful, having specific comments or suggestions from clients would provide deeper insights into what I'm doing well and where I can enhance my services.

3. Enhancing Effectiveness: My Stats could further help me be more effective on the platform by offering comparative data. For example, it would be insightful to see how my performance metrics stack up against industry averages or top performers in my category. This would allow me to benchmark my progress and set realistic goals for improvement.

In addition, having access to trends over time would be beneficial. Being able to track how my metrics fluctuate month-to-month or quarter-to-quarter would enable me to identify patterns and make data-driven decisions to optimize my performance.

Overall, I appreciate the efforts to enhance My Stats and make it a more transparent and helpful tool for freelancers like myself. I believe that incorporating more detailed client feedback and comparative data would further empower us to succeed on the platform.

Thank you for soliciting our feedback and considering ways to improve My Stats.

Best regards,
Mahrukh

zansari
Community Member

To me it's interesting pata data which you can use to plan and build your freelance future in the present through iteration.

I use the following process observation, measure, analysis, and change. This process automatically shown the directions for the. ext week.

Best Wishes Zulqarnain Ansari (Zain)
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths