🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How can we improve My Stats? Share your feedb...
Page options
lenaellis
Community Member

How can we improve My Stats? Share your feedback.

Hello Community! We are considering ways to make My Stats an even more transparent and helpful tool—a tool with insights that show you ways to improve your success on Upwork.

By navigating to Find Work > My Stats, you will find insights on your client satisfaction, responsiveness to invitations, and how clients engage with you after receiving your proposals.

Our questions to you:

1. What existing metrics have been most helpful for you? 
  2. What other information do you wish was available in My Stats? 
  3. How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform

All feedback and suggestions are welcome! 

Untitled
99 REPLIES 99
jr-translation
Community Member

Lena E wrote:

Hello Community! We are considering ways to make My Stats an even more transparent and helpful tool—a tool with insights that show you ways to improve your success on Upwork.

By navigating to Find Work > My Stats, you will find insights on your client satisfaction, responsiveness to invitations, and how clients engage with you after receiving your proposals.

Our questions to you:

1. What existing metrics have been most helpful for you? 
  2. What other information do you wish was available in My Stats? 
  3. How do you think My Stats could help you be more effective on the platform

All feedback and suggestions are welcome! 

Don't break it. I do not really get the "Compared to your peers" data because I have not tried to get hired in the past weeks but my "You were hired " line is almost entirely dark green. On the other hand I do not care how other are doing because that is their business.

If you want to improve something, the Trust and Safety team desperately needs help to check all the flagged accounts and remove scammers.

Jennifer R wrote:

If you want to improve something, the Trust and Safety team desperately needs help to check all the flagged accounts and remove scammers.

Another endorsement from me for this comment. 

m_terrazas
Community Member

I really only ever look at it, if I remember or someone comments, to see when JSS was updated.
I don't see much use for it, the same as "who saw my profile".

What both are for, leave them as they are and dedicate yourself to what Jennifer says, stopping the entry of cheaters, cleaning the pool of freelancers that already exists.

You can use all the flaggs and calls in the forum that so many people have made for nothing.
For our part, it is free work, we let you use it.

I very much doubt that you'll be able to give me any meaningful statistics that will help me to improve my business. Clients see my profile (or, more often, don't see my profile) based on your rankings and algorithms, and invitations and interviews stem from this, so there's nothing that I can do about any of it.

I would add another vote to what Jennifer and Maria have said - if Upwork has time and manpower to spare, then I wish you would do more to enforce your ToS. In the past week alone, there have been freelancers in the forum who have admitted to sharing their accounts, taking payments off of Upwork, and selling stolen designs to clients. They are all still on your platform. I don't see why making changes to the stats page is more important than protecting clients from being scammed by liars and con artists. Upwork doesn't have its priorities straight.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Thanks for asking!

The metrics about response to invitations are of no value to me. The metrics comparing my view, interview, and hire rates with those of other FLs are of no value because the basis for comparison extends far outside my niche. (I do custom primary research  and some writing, both to support marketing but those metrics compare me with all FLs in the Sales & Marketing category.) The profile discovery metric is of no value because it doesn't tell me anything about who the discoverers are -- real clients with real projects, or other FLs curious about me when I mouth off in the forum?

What would be useful to me:

-- How many invitations I got in the past week, month, quarter.

-- How many of the invitations were from Basic, Business, and Enterprise clients.

-- How many of the invitations I accepted and declined.

-- How many accepted invitations resulted in a contract.

-- How many proposals I submitted in teh past week, month, quarter.

-- How many proposals resulted in an interview and how many resulted in a contract.

Profile discovery metrics would be useful if they told me who's looking -- how many Basic clients, how many Business clients, how many Enterprise clients. I was happy to get both the TR+ and EV badges last year but I have no way of determining whether or how they are helping me, and no way to strategize to leverage them.

Phyllis G wrote:

Thanks for asking!

The metrics about response to invitations are of no value to me. The metrics comparing my view, interview, and hire rates with those of other FLs are of no value because the basis for comparison extends far outside my niche. (I do custom primary research  and some writing, both to support marketing but those metrics compare me with all FLs in the Sales & Marketing category.) The profile discovery metric is of no value because it doesn't tell me anything about who the discoverers are -- real clients with real projects, or other FLs curious about me when I mouth off in the forum?

-- How many of the invitations were from Basic, Business, and Enterprise clients.

-- How many proposals resulted in an interview and how many resulted in a contract.

Profile discovery metrics would be useful if they told me who's looking -- how many Basic clients, how many Business clients, how many Enterprise clients. I was happy to get both the TR+ and EV badges last year but I have no way of determining whether or how they are helping me, and no way to strategize to leverage them.

-- How many of the invitations were from TS.

-- How many of thsee invitations I accepted and declined.

Phyllis G wrote:

Thanks for asking!

A good listing! 
But I still prefer that they dedicate themselves to other more urgent things.

Maria T wrote:

A good listing! 
But I still prefer that they dedicate themselves to other more urgent things.

Agree on both counts. This seems like one more superficial change being implemented to make it look like the platform is being further developed, while the real problems go ignored. 

Phyllis G wrote:

Profile discovery metrics would be useful if they told me who's looking -- how many Basic clients, how many Business clients, how many Enterprise clients.

This is a pretty good list.

petra_r
Community Member

Renante V wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Profile discovery metrics would be useful if they told me who's looking -- how many Basic clients, how many Business clients, how many Enterprise clients.

This is a pretty good list.

I also vote for this 🙂

Well, I am very new to this community and I have nothing to add about the stats but I do enjoy having it.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Also, I agree with Jennifer and Maria and Christine. All the metrics in the world are relatively pointless as long as you continue to (1) use a berserk algorithm, and (2) let cheats, liars and scammers use the platform unmolested.

lysis10
Community Member

These are some things I would like to know:

1. How many proposals did I send (with a date range)?

2. Of those proposals, how many responded?

3. Of those proposals, how many turned into contracts?

4. How many invites turned into contracts?

5. How many proposals in the open marketplace turned into contracts?

6. How many proposals in the open marketplace got responses?

I might have more but I'm so so sooooooooooooo hungry and my Door Dasher isn't here yet. 😞

eric5037
Community Member

How much time have I been Top rated?

I think that instead of being Top rated, we should be Top rated 4 or Top rated 7 or Top rated 18, the number representing the number of months being Top rated

Eric B wrote:

I think that instead of being Top rated, we should be Top rated 4 or Top rated 7 or Top rated 18, the number representing the number of months being Top rated

Why? I can't remember how many months I've been Top Rated and I don't care. Why would I ever care? Clients can't see how many months I've been TR and if they did, they wouldn't care. The only reason it matters to be TR is to have the fb removal perk in your back pocket.

Phyllis G wrote:

Eric B wrote:

Why? I can't remember how many months I've been Top Rated and I don't care. Why would I ever care? Clients can't see how many months I've been TR and if they did, they wouldn't care. The only reason it matters to be TR is to have the fb removal perk in your back pocket.

Well, this is your point of view and I respect it but I do care. 

Why? because this is a strong motivator to me. Is it the same to have been Top rated 3 months and losing it after those 3 months for example rather than having been Top rated 2 years and not losing it once. 

In fact, if clients don't care about that, it is may not be the kind of clients everyone wants. There are a lot of kinds of clients on Upwork.

Removal perk? heard from it, never used it, not even once.

petra_r
Community Member

Eric B wrote:

How does it matter? I've been top-rated from the first day the system came in. Years in other words. So? A freelaancr is as good s their lt job.

Clients don't need any more stuff on profiles to confuse them.

eric5037
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Eric B wrote:

How does it matter? I've been top-rated from the first day the system came in. Years in other words. So? A freelaancr is as good s their lt job.

Clients don't need any more stuff on profiles to confuse them.

It does!

To me at least, may be not to you. 

I think you should consider that not everybody has the same opinion as you do: I know it's hard to take but you should consider it. 

Is it the same a company with 25 years experience than a company with 10 years experience? I don't think it is. 

Hi Eric B;

I started a few weeks (months?) ago and for me, starting with smaller gigs helped a lot.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Kevin J wrote:

Hi Eric B;

I started a few weeks (months?) ago and for me, starting with smaller gigs helped a lot.

Beginning is the path to Top rated! 🙂

great

wescowley
Community Member

Lena E wrote:

I agree with all the comments that there are much more important things to focus on that this page. That said...

What's useful on this page are a few of things in the top block: JSS, recommendation rate, long-term client rate. The last updated date would be useful on JSS-update day, if it actually updated at the same time as JSS did. But, it updates hours before the stats change, so it's really meaningless.

Recent account holds and TR eligible weeks? I can see how that's useful to someone trying to get to TR, but once someone is TR, there's no need for it to be displayed.

Communication section: the number of invites is interesting only for curiosity. A trend graph would make it more useful, but even so, it's not all that important.

Marketing effectiveness: this can go. Without more context, it's meaningless. I was viewed slightly less often than people in Writing? Ok, that's fine, but that's a pretty broad category, so I don't know why I should care. But the green bar for interviewed is close to full? How does that make sense with the viewed graph being so low? Without details of how it's calculated, this looks wrong and untrustworthy. And I was hired a bit more often than average? Ok good, but again, it's too broad a category for me to really care.

The profile view graph: this can go. There's no information here about what it's counting. I vaguely remember it's related to search, but that's it. And it often goes to 0 for weeks at a time, when I know my profile is getting viewed cause I'm getting invites. It also never agreed with the other discovery graph that I used to get emails about, but I can't find that one at the moment.

Profile completeness? Why does this need a progress bar? And how is it related to the discovery graph? It's not, but the placement on the screen makes it look like it is. All this merits is a percentage on the side bar of the profile edit view. That's the only place it's relevant.

The more detailed breakdown of stats that Phyllis and Jennifer have suggested would be useful, especially if they came with trend graphs or drilldowns. But I'm really not sure how much I'd pay attention to them. And don't put in comparisons other freelancers, like the current effectiveness graphs. That's meaningless unless it can be narrowed down significantly: academic/technical editors in my price range. I'd really just want to see my raw numbers and a trend. I don't really care how I'm doing vs others.

Wes C wrote:

Lena E wrote:

I agree with all the comments that there are much more important things to focus on that this page. That said...

What's useful on this page are a few of things in the top block: JSS, recommendation rate, long-term client rate. The last updated date would be useful on JSS-update day, if it actually updated at the same time as JSS did. But, it updates hours before the stats change, so it's really meaningless.

Recent account holds and TR eligible weeks? I can see how that's useful to someone trying to get to TR, but once someone is TR, there's no need for it to be displayed.

Communication section: the number of invites is interesting only for curiosity. A trend graph would make it more useful, but even so, it's not all that important.

Marketing effectiveness: this can go. Without more context, it's meaningless. I was viewed slightly less often than people in Writing? Ok, that's fine, but that's a pretty broad category, so I don't know why I should care. But the green bar for interviewed is close to full? How does that make sense with the viewed graph being so low? Without details of how it's calculated, this looks wrong and untrustworthy. And I was hired a bit more often than average? Ok good, but again, it's too broad a category for me to really care.

The profile view graph: this can go. There's no information here about what it's counting. I vaguely remember it's related to search, but that's it. And it often goes to 0 for weeks at a time, when I know my profile is getting viewed cause I'm getting invites. It also never agreed with the other discovery graph that I used to get emails about, but I can't find that one at the moment.

Profile completeness? Why does this need a progress bar? And how is it related to the discovery graph? It's not, but the placement on the screen makes it look like it is. All this merits is a percentage on the side bar of the profile edit view. That's the only place it's relevant.

The more detailed breakdown of stats that Phyllis and Jennifer have suggested would be useful, especially if they came with trend graphs or drilldowns. But I'm really not sure how much I'd pay attention to them. And don't put in comparisons other freelancers, like the current effectiveness graphs. That's meaningless unless it can be narrowed down significantly: academic/technical editors in my price range. I'd really just want to see my raw numbers and a trend. I don't really care how I'm doing vs others.

I agree with every single point.

None of this information has helped me in 5 years on this platform. So, not going to that page saves me time that I can spend on helping my clients instead.

Wes C wrote:

yeah, I am a pretty intelligent person (or so I'd like to think) but this graph means absolutely nothing to me, mine just looks like a roller coaster and stays pretty consistent.

The marekting stats seem pointless as well, I think there is potential there but only for beginners. once you start succeeding no one actually cares to look at the stats... if I WAS to look at the stats it would be more detailed ones such as number of people who viewed my profile and then it resulted in reaching out to me directly vs. people who clicked and then abandoned ship. Although I suspect that number could be quite meaningless since it seems that a lot of people think an hourly rate is a suggestion and when they find out it's not for me they flee.

kinector
Community Member

I never look at it.

Maybe once, years back, when I actually did, I was thinking that the hiring rate "more often than competitors" (or something) is rather meaningless.

I only engage with the dream client types. Window-shoppers, hobbyists, scammers, poor businesses, and even second-best client types I prefer to leave for others.

So, the only meaningful stat for me would be something that accommodates then client types somehow. But as it is, there isn't anything in the system for categorizing clients by the freelancer's preferences, so I don't think you can do anything about it.

Thanks for asking, though. I appreciate it!

How about adding another feauture from Fiverr? 

The one that shows a map of the world that indicates which countries our clients are from. 

Reinier B wrote:

The one that shows a map of the world that indicates which countries our clients are from. 

Why? it does not matter to me. 

Just kidding, let's be a bit more constructive than that.

It seems a great idea to me!

I was even thinking of doing it myself on a world map, just coloring it but it would be great to have numbers in it to know how many clients we had and in which country. and close to the number of client, the earning, why not?

For example, I have work in countries such as Portugal, France, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, United states, Australia, Chile, India, Romania but I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a few of them.

Just put everything in a weekly or monthly email and allow us to opt out if we do not care.

Reinier B wrote:

Care to explain how this is related?

Why not continents?

For my part, I'm only missing clients from South America and Antarctica, only, so the map wouldn't tell anyone very much. And Antarctica is not within my aim. Penguins get to serve themselves, I'm afraid.

Let's keep Upwork as Upwork and let Fiverr be Fiverr.

Mikko R wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

Care to explain how this is related?

Why not continents?

For my part, I'm only missing clients from South America and Antarctica, only, so the map wouldn't tell anyone very much. And Antarctica is not within my aim. Penguins get to serve themselves, I'm afraid.

Let's keep Upwork as Upwork and let Fiverr be Fiverr.

I would agree with this. I don't understand how it's relevant, and really don't want this crowding up My Stats. Then again, I work in the United States and I only do work with companies in the United States. I understand that freelancers from other countries might find this important. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I think it's time to extend this very interesting discussion to unrelated complaining. Right, guys? I get a ton of invites from very confused freelancers that seem to think they are either responding to, or posting a job. The "I translate any language into any language" type. Mildly annoying. I've never created or used a client profile, but is is really so easy to confuse the two?

Martina P wrote:

I think it's time to extend this very interesting discussion to unrelated complaining. Right, guys? I get a ton of invites from very confused freelancers that seem to think they are either responding to, or posting a job. The "I translate any language into any language" type. Mildly annoying. I've never created or used a client profile, but is is really so easy to confuse the two?

Don't forget all the talented famous logo designers we have now. The GE logo designer was just here this weekend. Like WOW! I'm sure it's true since Upwork would never just ignore someone who stole logo designs. It must be true since it was in her portfolio!

kinector
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Don't forget all the talented famous logo designers we have now. The GE logo designer was just here this weekend. Like WOW! I'm sure it's true since Upwork would never just ignore someone who stole logo designs. It must be true since it was in her portfolio!

Absolutely brilliant. It must be true! 😂

Jennifer M wrote:

Martina P wrote:

HAHA. omfg, I'm snorting 😧 hashtag THE AUDACITY

Martina P wrote:

I think it's time to extend this very interesting discussion to unrelated complaining. Right, guys? I get a ton of invites from very confused freelancers that seem to think they are either responding to, or posting a job. The "I translate any language into any language" type. Mildly annoying.

Martina, you're being way too kind! 😉

I've never created or used a client profile, but is is really so easy to confuse the two?

No, it is not. You can guess the type of people who find it confusing. 😂

lenaellis
Community Member

Hi All, we appreciate feedback shared here about My Stats page, how you are using it and how you would like use it. I would like to note that we have multiple teams specializing and working on improving various aspects of the platform. If one team is working on improving a feature, it doesn't mean that resources are being taken away from another team/area. That's just not how it works. Thus, I'd like to ask you to refrain from posting off topic comments and discussing topics unrelated to the OP.

Thanks!

Lena

Untitled

Hi Lena, I could tell you how do I use My Stats page, but have no idea how could you improve it.

Basically I use Marketing effectiveness only.

If I'm viewed less often, then I conclude, that something's wrong with my Proposal.

If I'm viewed more often, bit intervied less often then I conclude, that something's wrong with my Profile or Portfolio.

I never mind how often am I hired after interview, because it depends on different things each time.

The rest part of my Stats is just like milestones for me, something that's pleasure to look at. Except may be "Top Rated eligible weeks"

Hope this was useful.

Kind regards,

Anton

I'm glad to hear Upwork is looking to help us freelancers better manage our activity here as a business with measurable success. It's more than a little silly to say there are more important things for Upwork to do, as Upwork is large enough to do many improvements at once.

I don't see any reason to omit anything from the current information provided, as I can ignore what isn't of interest to me but might be interesting for other freelancers. But it would be great to know how many invitations I've received, how many invitations I've replied to and how many invitations have ended in a paid project for me over the last quarter.

I'd also like to know how many proposals I've submitted, how many of those proposals have been viewed by the prospective clients, how many interviews I've had as a result of my proposals and how many projects have I been hired on as a result of my proposals.

Thanks again for working to improve this important part of the Upwork freelancer experience.

Lena E wrote:

I would like to note that we have multiple teams specializing and working on improving various aspects of the platform.

Hi, Lena,

Really? There are? Where are the discussions asking freelancers for their opinions on how to attract better quality clients to the platform and increase freelancer pay? Because that's the discussion that I would like to post on. So, if you can point me in the right direction I'll immediately post there. 

Best, 

Dave 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths