🐈 Community
deka87

How come my rating got lowered due to a client inactivity?

Hi! I am a top rated freelancer and enjoy working here.

I had a client who sent me an offer and funded the first milestone. I sent him the first results within several days. He replied that he didn't have time to check it now and was going to get back to me next month. Then he simply disappeared and stoped responding to my messages. 

I didn't want to issue a dispute because I have already worked with this client before and really enjoyed it. After some time Upwork ended the contract due to its inactivity and lowered MY rating for some reason, though I did my part of the job. 

How come my rating has to suffer due to clients availability?

10 REPLIES 10
c997f982

Have you taken a new job since this clients job offer? That might be the reason, your average goes down if you accept a new job as the client has given you a rating. It could also be that because this client didn't give you a rating you got 0 stars from him and then your justified in being annoyed. 

Sure thing he didn't leave me any rating because he just disappeared and the contract was closed by the system. The thing I don't understand is why should this affect my rating at all? It's the client that got idle, not me.

Yegveny, you got 4.6 feedback on one job (4 for quality & skills), that's probably why your JSS is 97% now. Although you didn't say so, I'm guessing your JSS used to be 100%. So now you know that you need a little luck to be 100% JSS, and if 100% JSS is that important to you, you can use top rated feedback removal perk to remove the 4.6 feedback.

It would seem more likely that the less than 5-star review job is responsible for the lowered JSS. There don't appear to be any jobs without reviews on your profile. 

As to the question of why a non-review contract might pull down your JSS, the answer is because that is the way the owners of the platform chose to perform the calculation. 

Regardless of the why, it is only a pattern of contracts closed without a review that has this effect. A single contract does not a pattern make. 

TL;DR Your initial premise is false. You need to look for some other reason to blame for your current JSS. 

The latest project of 4.6 rating is not the cause, because the rating dropped 3% before when I got an email from Upwork notifiying me that they were closeing an idle contract that I was talking about. This happened like one month ago. This job is not on my profile page because, I believe, I approved the refund.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yevgeny,

Have you requested for the funded milestone to be released when you submitted your work? A contract would only be automatically closed if there were funds in Escrow for 90 days. Upwork is unable to hold money indefinitely due to Escrow regulations.

While contracts that have been inactive for a long time may affect freelancer's JSS, closed contracts without feedback only affect it negatively if there is a pattern of such contracts.

~ Valeria
Upwork
r2streu

@Yevgeny S wrote:

I had a client who sent me an offer and funded the first milestone. I sent him the first results within several days. He replied that he didn't have time to check it now and was going to get back to me next month. Then he simply disappeared and stoped responding to my messages. 

I didn't want to issue a dispute because I have already worked with this client before and really enjoyed it. After some time Upwork ended the contract due to its inactivity...

This is really on you, I'm afraid. The Milestone was funded. You needed to submit a request for payment when you were finished your work. Had you done so, you'd have been paid after two weeks. Don't rely on the client to remember to pay you. Upwork gives you the tools to take care of this, but you need to use them properly. 

It's not your problem if a client doesn't have time to check your work. You do the job, and have the right to expect to get paid in a timely manner. That's why Upwork has it set up so the client has 14 days from payment request to dispute it, or else it simply automatically goes to you, and you get paid. 

For future reference, whenever you are finished with a job and have submitted your deliverables, go to "My Jobs." You'll find the list of the projects you're working on. Hit the "Submit Work/Request $" button to remind your client that you've delivered on your end and they now have to pay you. 

I didn't want to request money for an unfinished work, because the client was supposed to send me extra info on the project to finish it. I think that would be a little unfair to him. He also promised that he would be back by September to start the work on the project again. However ,he didn't show up then and Upwork closed the contract. What could I do?

Yevgeny,

When submitting work and requesting payment from a funded milestone, you have an option to edit and request a partial amount. It's a function that can be helpful if work for a milestone was delivered partially.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Didn't know that 😞