🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How do I Report a Creepy Client?
Page options
fay_chen
Community Member

How do I Report a Creepy Client?

Client invited me to bid on his job. He was looking for a Chinese teacher. I submitted my proposal. We chatted in Whatsapp because Upwork chat on mobile didn't work. He then messaged and called me at 11pm. I did not answer, but got a bad gut feeling. I withdrawed my offer citing personal reasons. In the next few days, he continued to message and call me. I had to block him on Whatsapp. I can take screenshots to prove it. He's like a crazy internet date! How do I report him so he can't harass other freelancers?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Feiyu,

I checked, and I was able to locate the job you're referring to. I have escalated it to our team for review. Also, I'd like to confirm that Jared is correct. Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is placed is a violation of Upwork TOS. I highly recommend that you please read this announcement for more information. If you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can flag it using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
work-fu
Community Member

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

answering your question in a purely technical manner, there's a "Report" button in the PM board.

Cat N wrote:

She absolutely did the right thing by reporting him. How does it make the world a better place if this "client" is free to continue harrassing other freelancers?

petra_r
Community Member

Cat N wrote:

Help other freelancers not to be harassed? Help Upwork get rid of abusive members? 

jared_k
Community Member

I guess that's part of the reason why it's a violation of Upwork's TOS to give out personal contact information before you have a contract with a client.

If you report him, then you are admitting to Upwork that you violated the TOS. Consider it a lesson learned and be glad Upwork didn't hit you for violating its policies. 

work-fu
Community Member

right, didn't think of that. **Edited for Community Guidelines**, but of course, they're both in violation of tos if they didn't have a contract

JoanneP

Hi Feiyu,

I checked, and I was able to locate the job you're referring to. I have escalated it to our team for review. Also, I'd like to confirm that Jared is correct. Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is placed is a violation of Upwork TOS. I highly recommend that you please read this announcement for more information. If you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate, you can flag it using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Joanne
Upwork
fay_chen
Community Member

Thank you, Joanne! I will take this as a learning moment and will conduct myself according to the TOC. Thank you for your help and support. Please let me know if you need any proof for our exchanges.

Hello Joanne,

I have a question regarding this. After my client start the contract and he is willing to communicate outside Upwork like through Google Meet to discuss about project or use other social media's to reach. Should I allow that? As I always mention my clients to continue the chat within Upwork and or via Upwork Call if he wants to discuss or share screen.

Can I provide my github link? If my client wants to see my projects.

Kindly let me know, what is the best way to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ashfaqur,

Once you and your client have an active contract, you may use any communication methods you choose. However, we find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. 

You can share the link to your portfolio with a client, you also may do so even if the website includes contact information. In these cases, please be sure to ask the client to only contact you through Upwork until a contract is started. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

How can I report client who is harassing and blackmailing me and even want to do job outside upwork?

This client ask me to do the job outside upwork but I refused and ask to do the job here in upwork. He did send a job invitation but I refused again due to small offer. Now, he's blackmailing me to report me here on upwork and he's harassing me.

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marimar, 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this client. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I'll check that further and escalate accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths