cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I ask a client to close a finished project without looking pushy?

Dawn S J Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
1 of 13

I've had a couple of clients who would leave a project open when the project is complete. How do I ask a client to close a finished project without looking pushy?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

Dawn:

If it is an HOURLY contract, then one thing I do is to simply continue working on the project.

That might not work for every type of work, but in my line of work, it does. I continue working on the project, making it better, adding new features, etc., and earning more money until the client closes the project.

Of course I send messages to the client informing her about each new task I am about to work on, and continue to send messages to the client updating her about the work that I'm doing.

The downside of this approach is that it is not necessarily a fast way to get a contract closed. If you're really good at what you do, then many clients will just continue letting you work because they realize they are obtaining immense value from what you are doing.

Community Guru
3 of 13

If you have a fixed-price contract, then one thing you can do is to wait until the client asks a question or makes any request - no matter how small - that can be considered to be out of scope of the original agreement.

Then use that as an opportunity to ask the client to release payment and/or close the contract.

Client: "Dawn: The document you sent is perfect. But my partner wants to see what it would look like without any references to the New Haven holdings. Could you send a version like that?"

Freelancer: "That would take a little time to do, and it really is out of scope of the agreement to provide two versions, but if you will go ahead and release payment now, I can get that to within 30 minutes."

Client: "Thank you. I will release payment now."

[later:]

Client: "Dawn: Sorry to bother you, but is there any way you could export the file to a PDF document as well? I'm on the road for the next few days and don't have access to the computer I would normally use to do that myself"

Freelancer: "I would be happy to do that. If you will go ahead and close the contract, then I will send a PDF version of the file immediately."

Community Guru
4 of 13

Dawn:
Keep in mind that both of the strategies I outlined work only if you intentionally manage your contracts while you are still in contact with the client, and before a contract has been paused or closed by Upwork itself.

Dawn S J Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
5 of 13

Yeah I get that. The client would say "okay everything looks good" on the final product. I would then say, "Great! Let me know if you need anything else. If not, would you mind closing this project?" Is that too pushy? I've had clients reply, "why do you want me to close the project?" (even when the final project has been submitted and approved).

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 13

just say hey pal how about you close the project? 

Sohail M Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
7 of 13

I asked, about 50 times, on upork messages.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

Sohail M wrote:

I asked, about 50 times, on upork messages.

Start hoping the client does not report you for harassment.

FIFTY TIMES?

If you want the contract closed: Go close it yourself.  NEVER haunt a client like that. You may just end up with a (rightfully) annoyed client and feedback that reflects that annoyance.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 13

Dawn S J wrote:

Yeah I get that. The client would say "okay everything looks good" on the final product. I would then say, "Great! Let me know if you need anything else. If not, would you mind closing this project?" Is that too pushy? I've had clients reply, "why do you want me to close the project?" (even when the final project has been submitted and approved).

Don't say, "Would you mind?" Say something like. "Great! The last step is for you to close the contract. I'll look out for the notification so I can leave you feedback after it's closed. If you have further work for me in the future, you can always rehire me by..."

Saumya Brata D Member Since: Sep 18, 2016
10 of 13
The best way will be to submit the work. Simple as that and client will be notified about completion of the work.
Saumya Brata Dutt.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS