cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I ask a client to close a finished project without looking pushy?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 13

re: " I've had clients reply, 'why do you want me to close the project?" (even when the final project has been submitted and approved).'"

Dawn:

If you have asked the client to close the contract, and they don't want to close the contract, then do what I do:

Make sure you do at least ten minutes of work per month so that the contract will not be paused by Upwork.

Or just keep working on the project.

I have logged hundreds of hours working on projects that were finished. I just made them better. As long as you notify the client what you're doing ahead of time, this is fine.

Alternatively, if you don't want to work on the contract any more, you can close the contract yourself.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 13

Saumya Brata D wrote:
The best way will be to submit the work. Simple as that and client will be notified about completion of the work.

Sorry, no cigar. Submission of the work, and payment, has nothing to do with contract closure. That is a further step that must be completed (preferably) by the client, or (with virtually no risk if the client fails to respond) by the freelancer.

The importance of closing contracts is a matter of debate.I usually present it to clients as a matter of housekeeping, once a quarter or so as needed. That is how I like to think of it, without fretting over whether Upwork is going to ding me over open and idle contracts. (Most likely they're not.)

Ace Contributor
Madhumika S Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
13 of 13
Hi so I had seen long back a response by one of the moderators to this question, it was so well written, I hope she can post it again.
It went something like this
Freelancer - would you like me to do anything else?
Client - no
Freelancer - Can you close the project, it will be beneficial to you for future projects! I can walk you through the steps, if you would like.

Obviously the moderator had phrased it a lot better.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS