cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do this? And CAN I?

Ace Contributor
Jessica V Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
1 of 9

Hello, I am working as a freelancer here on Upwork. Until the end of this year I am going to jump on a new project of building a blog (domain hosted) and monetize it.

The thing is, I will only purchase the domain host in September/October, and only after that will I be planning the webdesign. I want to hire a webdesigner to help me with this.

Can I hire a webdesigner here at Upwork? How do I make a Client account linked to my current Freelancer account?

And can I start a job post now to have time to evaluate the rates and how much I'm going to have to spend even if I'm only going to be available to hire someone in September?

Thanks in advance.

Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
2 of 9

I hope this helps:

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23107042?

All the very Best for your plans. Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
3 of 9

Thank you for your help Adam, but that answer explains how to work as a client. I know how all that works, my question is, how do I start working as a client (temporarily) while I have my Freelancer account. Because I know I cannot have duplicate accounts, so there must be a way to use my account as both (client and freelancer).

That's what I'm striving for, and also for an opinion as if I should or if I can post a job when my hiring is only going to take place in mid-September.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
BEST ANSWER
4 of 9
Ace Contributor
5 of 9

Hello Suzanne, thank you so much, that helped me a lot!

Now as for the other question, can I start a job now for which I will only hire someone in about a month from now?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 9

Jessica, you're a freelancer so you should be aware of this, but you should be able to post a job now and specify a due date in September. I know some clients post jobs just to collect information with no intention of hiring anyone, but that's not fair to freelancers who use connects and spend time writing cover letters to apply to the job. You could honestly say so in the job description, but then mention that you'll invite some of the freelancers who respond when you set up the actual job.

Either way, as a freelancer I prefer job offers with some details, like a website mockup for instance, or one or two existing sites that are similar to what you have in mind. If it's a fixed price job, it would be hard for a freelancer to set a budget without knowing some details.

7 of 9

Hello John, thanks for replying.

Yes, I already have my webdesign pretty much planned, and I would be giving a simple sketch and notes of how I want the website to look.

The only reason why I'm only starting after I create my own domain is because the domain hosting company has features that I do not know of at the moment (because I haven't purchased the package yet), and because I have some code and html knowledge, as well as plugins, which might mean that I could do part of the work myself (my budget is not very high so I'm trying to do what I can and leave the parts where I don't have a chance for the pros).

I'm thinking maybe I should wait and post the job offer at the time, right?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 9

Jessica,

Unless you have a tight deadline to meet, you might as well take care of the webhosting first. If you're still evaluating webhosts, PM me and I can offer a suggestion. I am not an affiliate of the company I have in mind, just a customer.

9 of 9

Jessica, ideally post the job when you have all the requirements ready to engage in an interview with a freelancer and get a more accurate estimate price.

You can browse upwork as a client and search for freelancers, save to your watch list those you are are interested in. When you feel ready to give it a shot, post your job and send invites to the freelancers you are interested in. You may get proposals from freelancers you didnt send invite that are good fit but browsing freelancers it helps you also to define better what kind of freelancer you want and you are not overwhelmed when the proposals start coming.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS