🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How do I get access to the Upwork API?
Page options
amosuro
Community Member

How do I get access to the Upwork API?

After spending some time reading through the API documentation and assuming it is publically available, I cannot find a way to request API keys so that I can access it.

Is there some hidden process/criteria required to get access?

Whenever I click on the 'Register application' link I am taken to a screen that says: Unfortunately, your subscription plan does not allow accessing this feature.

But it's not clear what subscription plan I need to be on, if at all!

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ashley,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket and assist you further with your API request. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Gorvan,

I still never managed to get this resolved. I'm still waiting for one of my API keys to be enabled. Unfortunately past ones were rejected, but I haven't really been given a clear reason as to why, so it's difficult to know what I'm doing wrong!

I'm working on an app that I truly believe also benefits Upwork in terms of driving potential freelancers to the platform, so I'm keen to find out why I can't get access to the API. 

Thanks!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ashley,

I`m sorry to hear that your request was rejected. I checked your tickets and I can see that our team has reached out to you with more details about this on your ticket with number 27138319. Please refer to the details shared with you there, you can access your tickets on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Gorvan,

Interesting...I've just seen this and it appears it was rejected due to me not having enough experience accepting work through Upwork. Is this true?

It seems like an odd requirement that I must take on work through Upwork before I can access the API. And it's quite ambiguous about exactly how much work I need to take on to then be granted access.

Is anyone able to investigate this further and perhaps give me a clearer explaination?

petra_r
Community Member

Ashley M wrote:

I'm working on an app that I truly believe also benefits Upwork in terms of driving potential freelancers to the platform

In fairness, Ashley, the very, VERY last thing Upwork wants or needs is anything whatsoever at all that "drives potential freelancers to the platform..." The majority of freelancers who try to join Upwork are rejected, and of the few (2% according to Upwork's former CEO) that are accepted, the vast majority never earn a single Dollar.

Do Upwork and yourself and those freelancers you want to drive somewhere a favour, and don't develop anything that tries to drive potential freelancers to the platform.

amosuro
Community Member

Thanks for your comments Petra, although I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that those interested in working with the API should discourage freelancers to join the platform.

If there is a big gap between the no. of applicants vs active ones, then perhaps it's better quality freelancers that need to be driven to the platform.

petra_r
Community Member

Ashley M wrote:

Thanks for your comments Petra, although I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that those interested in working with the API should discourage freelancers to join the platform.

I didn't say those interested in working with the API should "discourage" freelancers to join. I suggested that it's in nobody's interest to "drive them" towards the platform

Ashley M wrote:

If there is a big gap between the no. of applicants vs active ones, then perhaps it's better quality freelancers that need to be driven to the platform.

When a glass is full, it does not need "better quality water" being poured into to avoid it overflowing, it needs no more water at all 😉

There is a big gap because there are already way too many freelancers on the platform, so any new ones (if they get in in the first place) with no history, feedback, Job Success Score have a very hard time getting a foot in the door.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members