cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get paid for extra work?

Highlighted
Rebecca G Member Since: Jan 18, 2017
1 of 7

If a client needs more work done after a project is complete, how do I get paid?

How can I invoice them for the work that was done?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 7

Rebecca, if the contract has ended, then the client will have to create a new job and offer it to you. If the contract is still open and it's fixed price, then ask the client to create a new milestone; if it's an open hourly contract, then use time tracker and you'll be paid. Lastly, you could also ask the client to pay you with a bonus, if you trust the client.

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

The client can either set up a new milestone (and fund it) or a new contract for the additional work, or pay a bonus. The bonus can be paid even on a closed contract.

In general adding an extra milestone to an existing (open) contract is the easiest or at least neatest way forward.

The above holds true for fixed rate contracts, for hourly obviously you could just continue to log hours as long as the contract s still open and active.

Highlighted
Robin S Member Since: Sep 1, 2020
4 of 7

but If we are already hired on the hourly contract and the different service they are asking for which client has to pay extra and he agreed also then how to get that extra money from them. For example: My clients hired me for SEO but for one week he needs email marketing or PPC for a single week for which I asked to pay extra $100 and the client agreed on that then how can I ask him to pay that extra money

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
5 of 7

Robin S wrote:

but If we are already hired on the hourly contract and the different service they are asking for which client has to pay extra and he agreed also then how to get that extra money from them. For example: My clients hired me for SEO but for one week he needs email marketing or PPC for a single week for which I asked to pay extra $100 and the client agreed on that then how can I ask him to pay that extra money

If you have an open hourly contract with the client, they can pay a bonus payment.

Highlighted
Robin S Member Since: Sep 1, 2020
6 of 7

So should I ask him to pay in advance or in the end of the work he will pay me?
What should I do to be on the safe side and maintain my trust towards client!

I do not want him to feel bad or thinking that I am greedy!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Rebecca,

I've checked but wasn't able to identify the client and contract you're referred to. I see you do have a number of open Fixed-Price contracts and can confirm you'll need to work under an active contract in order to get paid. if the contract was closed, please ask your client to rehire you in a couple of easy steps so you can continue working. If the contract is still open, ask your client to create and fund a new Milestone before you can start working on the new task.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS