🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I get paid on Upwork as a non - US Fre...
Page options
Community Member

How do I get paid on Upwork as a non - US Freelancer?



I have earnings in my Upwork account but I am unsure of the process of how to withdraw them.


I.e., it states:

Before withdrawing funds, all non-U.S. persons must provide their W-8BEN tax information.


As a Australian freelancer, does this mean I would be paying US taxes?

Or am I paying Australian taxes?

Do all Australian based freelancers need to be registered as sole business traders or is this not necessary etc?


Thank you for your assistance

Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jenny, 


The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. You can also fill out the form with your full legal name, there's no need to have a company.

Regarding taxes and how to report them, I would suggest reaching out to a local specialist. Thank you.

~ Goran
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths