Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I inform Upwork of a fraud scam?

lorinmb
Lorin B Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
1 of 8

Good Morning,

I was recently contacted by a company who wanted to pay me to do work for them. All great. Then they wanted me to wire them money for a specific program. I said no. Then they mailed me a check so I could use their money for the specific program...GIGANTIC WAVING RED FLAG!!

I brought the check to my bank to see if they could figure out if it was real, or fake or what, all the while receiving 30 texts asking if I deposited it yet and can I withdraw the funds yet..the bank called me this morning to inform me that after their research yes in fact the check was fake (shocking).

Luckily I knew that something was very very wrong....but the bank said if I had cashed it and then withdrawn the money then they found out it was counterfiet, I would have been liable, and they would have called the police. Good times....

So is there a way to let upwork know that this particular job is a fraud and people can get in a lot of trouble. (probably not the actual scammers Smiley Sad )  I can't find a way to do this on the website.

Thanks!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 8

This is a very common scam.  You can report this client by filing a ticket with CS and do so immediately.

You really do need to read the thread about Job Warning Signs at the very top of this forum.  You also need to take a look at the TOS because by agreeing to have the check mailed to you you have broken one of the biggest rules of being paid outside of the platform which can get you suspended.  

They like to prey on newbie freelancers so be careful and use common sense.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

re: "So is there a way to let upwork know that this particular job is a fraud and people can get in a lot of trouble."

For future reference, ALL Upwork jobs which ask you to pay for software or which send you a check are scams.

dabbarmo
Benny B Member Since: May 9, 2015
4 of 8

That is WHY I, for one, only accept payment through Upwork from customers found on Upwork. The moment I get offered payment out of Upwork, I usually smell a rat and report them. Same thing goes with those placing their contact details on the job post (it's against Upwork's rules). I report them immediately.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

Anything that involves you paying or anyone sending you a check is 100% a scam.

Here is how you report it:

1) Click on "Report as inappropriate" above the job posting

2) Raise a request, including screenshots of the communications

help and support 1.jpg

submit request.jpg

dabbarmo
Benny B Member Since: May 9, 2015
6 of 8

There is also another way: Find the job offer they are referring to, flag it as inappropriate (select Phishing/Fraud) and then submit the selection.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 8

@Benny B wrote:

There is also another way: Find the job offer they are referring to, flag it as inappropriate (select Phishing/Fraud) and then submit the selection.

Completely pointless unless the fraud is obvious on Upwork, which in those cases it never ever is. The fraudulent details are discussed off the site (Skype or Yahoo or email or Google-Hangouts) so the job postings look absolutely innocent.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Lorin,

I'm sorry about your bad experience with this client, but I want to thank you for correctly assessing and rationally handling this case. Please follow the advice other users already shared and report the client directly to Support (with screenshots of your communication and any other relevant details).

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS