cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I invite freelancers to join my agency?

plinington
Paul L Member Since: Nov 28, 2010
1 of 29
Hi I am an oDesk freelancer and the director of a British company that specializes in providing eBay related services. Almost every day I receive invitations from oDesk clients to do work for them. I have to decline some of these because of my workload. I therefore thought it would be a good idea to set up an agency so that I could apply for these jobs as the staffing manager of the agency and then delegate work I can't do to other freelancers who belong to my agency. I thought I could just contact suitable freelancers and then invite them to join my agency but I found out that I can only contact them if I know their username or email address. This is not on their freelancer's profile. My question is: How can I contact prospective freelancers to work for my agency? It seems I can contact freelancers if I know them or I have corresponded with them on oDesk before but as I am a freelancer working on my own I don't know any others. I can also contact freelancers if I am a client with a job I want done but according to eBay support I can't post a job on eDesk asking for freelancers to join my agency. The only way I can think of doing this is to apply for jobs as a freelancer and then post the job on odesk as a client. That way I will be delegating the work to someone else but if I do that I don't need the agency. Can someone offer some advice. If there are any oDesk freelancers with html, css, and eBay store and listing template experience who would like to join my agency let me have your username and I will send you an invite. Thanks
g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 29
You need to go into your settings and choose the option to create an agency. Then create a job post and mention that you're looking for freelancers to join your agency. You can either approach freelancers or wait to receive applications. You interview them and then take it from there.
plinington
3 of 29
Thanks for your comment Gillian I have created an agency but I was told by oDesk support that I can't create a job post that explicitly asks for freelancers to join it. I was told that I can only contact freelancers who I know personally or who I have worked with in the past, for example if I have hired them to do work for me. I think the reason why oDesk does not permit contact with other freelancers directly is to prevent people recruiting freelancers to set up their own freelancer sites.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
4 of 29
That's pretty weird. What's the likelihood that you'd already know freelancers on this site? It's a little crazy. I also have a client account. I'm fairly sure that I've seen a lot of ads posted which ask freelancers to join their agency. I thought that was the whole point of creating an agency. Yes indeed, people could recruit freelancers to join a site outside of oDesk, but this goes directly against the rules of the site. Anyone that has taken the time to read the terms would know this. When I first joined oDesk I signed up to an agency to see if it would work out. I don't recall if they approached me or if I responded to an ad, but I used to be with an agency in the early days. It was an agency in the Philippines and they didn't know me from Adam. I think that you should clarify this information with someone in management. If not, then as you've said, you might have to accept a job then post as a client and find freelancers that way.
plinington
5 of 29
It is very weird. I talked to two people at oDesk. One of them was a supervisor. This is what she said: "For agencies, you wont be able to hire other freelancers to be part of your agency as you do not have the access nor privilege to post a job. The only way you can invite them is if you have either their username or email address. Normally, these are your friends or other freelancers you know who are working on oDesk. You wont be able to invite them just by searching for profiles. You may refer to this help page link we have: https://odesk.zendesk.com/entries/23145118 It states "Agencies must not solicit potential agency contractors on the forums or with an oDesk job post. Although you are welcome to discuss your agency with any freelancers you know, you cannot invite them to your agency unless you have their user ID or email address." Frankly, with these rules I don't know how people manage to start an agency.
g_nembhard
Community Guru
6 of 29
Unusual. I'm pretty sure when I signed up to an agency that they didn't already know my details. If I recall, he asked me to send my user name. Maybe the rules have changed.
haathmilao
Shahid S Member Since: Nov 27, 2014
7 of 29

Sir I want to join your agency. Is that possible? I have around 750 hours work experience. 

lyambarreau
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
8 of 29

Under a week ago I created a client account and there were no problems posting jobs or recruiting.

Not sure what's happened...

ngharat
nikita g Member Since: Jan 8, 2015
9 of 29

Hello,

Paul, I have responded to an opening given by a reputed oDesk client. He wants me to join his agency but needs the email address or username with which I have signed up to oDesk. I think this is a bit risky but you have mentioned that it is the way it is so I think there should be no harm done. Where is the link that says so? 

Best regards,

Nikita Gharat

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 29

Hi Nikita,

That is correct. The agency owner will not be able to add you to their agency unless they have your email address or user ID. Here is more information about adding members to an agency.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS