cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I invoice as a freelancer?

rtcopywriting
Richard T Member Since: May 23, 2016
1 of 5

I have started a contract with my first client here, and naively assumed that there would be an option to download an invoice with every milestone. Alas, there doesn't seem to be such an option. What do I do? My first two milestones have been paid for. Do I create two invoices of my own and send them to my client, backdated? And make a note to send my client invoices for each milestone as they get closer from now on? Do I invoice for the whole contract in one go?

I am confused as to why there isn't an option for this, and have read something about it being to do with data protection. But it seems so bizarre. 

This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 5
This widget could not be displayed.

Richard, please look at the discussions about the invoices. There are several ones already. Upwork send invoices to the clients on behalf of the freelancers  but does not send a copy of this invoice to the freelancers.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=invoices

By the way: When I started on Upwork end of July last year I received a "credit memo", a bill sent from me to myself covering the amount the client had paid. However, this kind of "invoicing" has been stopped after some time.

mariussalyslt
Marius S Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
3 of 5

Is there any way to get that copy of that invoice as a freelancer to add it in accounting system?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Marius,

Yes, please check the announcement Lena posted almost two months ago and note that you can download these invoices from your Transaction History report.

Untitled
cocosandtner
Coco S Member Since: May 20, 2017
5 of 5

but without the client's VAT number, right? 😞

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS