cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if a message through Upwork Messages is authentic?

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
Deborah P Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
1 of 4

I have read a lot, but I haven't found this addressed.  If you get a message through Upwork Messages, how can you tell if this is a legit Client, or another Scam?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 4

@Deborah P wrote:

I have read a lot, but I haven't found this addressed.  If you get a message through Upwork Messages, how can you tell if this is a legit Client, or another Scam?

If you receive a message through the Upwork Message Center, there is a job post involved. Typically, the word "Proposal" will show up somewhere in the Message thread with the client. Clicking that will take you to the Proposal page for that Client.

At the top of that page is a link to 'view' job. If it's a public job, it will take you to the public job page. There you can view the freelancer feedback comments, look at the clients average pay, etc.

If the job is private, you might have to hunt around a bit on the Proposals page to find a link that will take you to the clients job history. Sorry I don't have an example to show about that right now.

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
Deborah P Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
3 of 4

I am seeing some job listings that say "go to Gmail Hangout.... set this up, blah blah.  You have seen these  When I find them, I am flagging as inapproriate.  

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 4

@Deborah P wrote:

I am seeing some job listings that say "go to Gmail Hangout.... set this up, blah blah.  You have seen these  When I find them, I am flagging as inapproriate.  

Most of us actually DON'T see these, because we filters those jobs OUT of Job feeds.

So thanks for providing a community service 🙂

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS