🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I quit a job on Upwork as a newcomer?
Page options
kinzap
Community Member

How do I quit a job on Upwork as a newcomer?

Hello,

I’ve recently started to work with a client but due to some reasons, I intend to end the contract.

Since this is my first job at Upwork, I don’t know how to quit without getting bad reviews or gain terrible ratings.

I’ve already achieved one milestone and it was a fixed price job which was supposed to be long term.

I’m willing to provide the client with all the time they need to find a replacement. Kindly help me out with this and suggest me how to go about it.

Thanks a lot.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kinza P wrote:
my concern also includes that a) this was a long term project and the rates were mentioned so how do I ask for a raise? 

You know, Kinza, sooner or later we have to deal with the consequences of our own actions. If you accepted a job with the rates clearly mentioned, and then want to bow out after the first milestone, you are free to do so, but not free of the consequences of that decision. It is what it is.

Kinza P wrote:
if the client tells me to refund the cash, why do I have to do that since I provided him a service?

Why would the client ask for a refund for work you have already done, unless that work would be useless to the client because you quit after the first part?

Again, if the client were to ask for a refund, you are free to decline such a request (obviously you would approve any request to return funds that are still in excrow for work you have not yet done)

The client is free to dispute and / or to express how he feels about his experience working with you when it comes to feedback.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
timefighter11
Community Member

Best way is to  end this contract with mutual agreement  with your client.  As you have completed one milestone  and definitely  earned something, it will not hurt  your JSS calculations at later stage.  Having mutual understanding with your client will save you from getting bad reviews.  

Thank you for helping. So, will the client not leave a bad review and be comfortable with ending the contract on friendly terms?
prestonhunter
Community Member

Kinza, as a freelancer you can quit a contract ("job") at any time.

You simply navigate to the job listing here:

My Jobs -> My Jobs

...and click on the three dots icon by a contract title, and choose the option to "end" or "cancel" or "close" the job.

But you asked for more then that... you asked how to do so without getting a bad review.

The best way to do that is be honest with the client and be helpful to him.

Tell the client that you won't be able to do any further tasks on the contract, and you wanted to let him know as soon as possible. Tell him that you are going to close the contract so that he can receive all of the remaining money in escrow, refunded back to him. Tell him that he should feel free to ask any questions he has, or for any help that he needs transitioning the work to someone else.

Then close the contract.

If the client closes things out on his end in a reasonable way, then you can go ahead and provide a reasonable amount of assistance as he transitions your assignments to other people.

Thanks for the response. So help me understand this, if I have submitted the work - how come I don’t get to keep the payment for that? Since I’m new I’m still trying to learn Upwork.

Also, will the client give me a bad review? I’m just worried about that.
petra_r
Community Member

Kinza P wrote:
Thanks for the response. So help me understand this, if I have submitted the work - how come I don’t get to keep the payment for that?

Also, will the client give me a bad review? I’m just worried about that.

Don't do that, it's terrible, terrible advice and would do serious harm to your metrics.

Simply explain to the client that you are happy to complete the first milestone, but unfortunately won't be available for any future work. Do not under any circumstances mention anything about refunds or escrow or anything of the sort. If there is any money in Escrow for a second milestone, closing the contract will send that money (in Escrow) back to the client. 

Do NOT close the contract until you have been paid for the first contract.

Do not just abruptly close the contract, it's almost a guarantee for poor feedback.

Whether the client will give you a bad feedback depends on how you handle it. Out of interest, why do you want to close a long term contract after only one milestone?

Muhammad Zeeshan H wrote:

As you have completed one milestone  and definitely  earned something, it will not hurt  your JSS calculations at later stage.  

You really, REALLY must stop telling people something won't affect their JSS.... The impact on the JSS depends on the feedback, so you can't say that this contract won't have any.

kinzap
Community Member

Thank you so much for the response. The thing is that when I started to work with this client I thought they knew what they were doing but turns out they have zero idea and I have to guide them through everything.

I feel like the entire burden is solely on my shoulders and it’s hard to keep up.
petra_r
Community Member

Kinza P wrote:
Thank you so much for the response. The thing is that when I started to work with this client I thought they knew what they were doing but turns out they have zero idea and I have to guide them through everything.
I feel like the entire burden is solely on my shoulders and it’s hard to keep up.

Have you tried taking time to discuss this with the client? So any people throw away a potentially great thing for nothing other than lack of communication... Often things can get fixed by having an open, honest, frank conversation.

kinzap
Community Member

See the thing is that I get a vibe the client wants things to be altogether left on me. Plus, it’s a lot of work for the amount they are offering and I feel like my services are extremely underpaid.

When I applied I wanted to get verified as well which is why I’m afraid of getting any bad reviews from the client.

Is there a safe way to inform the client that I wish to part ways?
petra_r
Community Member

Kinza P wrote:
See the thing is that I get a vibe the client wants things to be altogether left on me. Plus, it’s a lot of work for the amount they are offering and I feel like my services are extremely underpaid.

That means you did not spec the project properly and didn't nail down deliverables before you accepted the contract...

Kinza P wrote:

When I applied I wanted to get verified as well which is why I’m afraid of getting any bad reviews from the client.

Is there a safe way to inform the client that I wish to part ways?

Whether you can get out of this without poor feedback really rather depends on how you get out of it. You could just say that unfortunately you won't be able to work with him in the next few weeks, but encourage him to reach out at a later date to see if you're free (you won't be...) or something like that.

It's tricky. The first few contracts are so important and. need to be chosen for better reasons than to "get verified..."

kinzap
Community Member

See the thing is that I needed to be verified and that was one of the reasons why I opted for the job and now I really hope that I get a decent feedback from the client. It’s too risky.
petra_r
Community Member

Kinza P wrote:
See the thing is that I needed to be verified 

Why?

kinzap
Community Member

Since I already mentioned that I'm new here, I'm still learning the ropes of Upwork. For now, I honestly need a way to go about this without getting bad reviews from my client. I mean nothing can guarantee that he won't give me bad feedback. 

sjbercot
Community Member

You're exactly right, the client can always leave a bad review no matter how you handle it. That's why it's critical to be as selective about your clients (or more) as they are about you. I know it's tough starting out, but put the quality of your contracts before checking boxes like Top Rated or Verified status, because better contracts are going to be a lot more helpful to you in the long run. Good luck!

kinzap
Community Member

So, can you guide me through this? What could be the appropriate time to part ways? I mean for at least how long should you must work with a specific client before calling it quits?
sjbercot
Community Member

You'll have to go with your (professional) instincts since every situation is a little bit different. But you don't have to work any longer for any client than you wish. If you want to let him know that you will be unable to continue the contract after a certain date (your choice), that may help him find someone new so he's not stuck. But that's really up to you. You can do all that and the client can still rate you poorly. Don't invest more time than you're willing, and stay professional and polite. That's really the best you can do I think. 

kinzap
Community Member

Thank you! Helped a lot.

I agree with Petra that you should have a discussion with your client to more clearly define expectations on both sides, and try to negotiate a pay rise instead of just quitting. This is something that you're going to have to learn to do anyway, so you may as well start now. Also, long-term projects don't come along every day, and who knows when you'll get another opportunity; whereas with an improvement in communication, this could end up being a good earner for you. Regardless of how skillfully you extract yourself from the contract, it's unlikely that the feedback will be glowing if you give up at the first hurdle.

Okay but why do I have to return the payment if I have provided the client with my services? Can you guide me that?

Kinza P wrote:
Okay but why do I have to return the payment if I have provided the client with my services? Can you guide me that?

You don't have to return the payment; where did I say that? However, if the client wants a partial refund, you might want to at least consider it, depending on how much you've done (what IS the job, anyway?); if you're leaving them in the lurch and they have to start over again with somebody else, then you might give them a partial refund as a goodwill gesture.

Thank you so much for the help 🙃
aditipie
Community Member

Kinza, I agree with Sarah B. We cannot control various actions of a client. But we can demonstrate professionalism even when they do not. If you think you can no longer continue on a contract then provide advance notice. Also, indicate that you'd be happy to do any "knowledge transfer" or anything else that is needed to make the transition smoother. Let them know that you are thankful for the opportunity and you might be willing to work with them at a later date. Many a times small businesses/companies hire you because they have no clue about what is to be done. But in few months or years, they become knowledgeable about it. So as far as possible I tend not to burn the bridges. Good luck! It will be okay.    

kinzap
Community Member

I understand what you’re saying but my concern also includes that a) this was a long term project and the rates were mentioned so how do I ask for a raise? B) if the client tells me to refund the cash, why do I have to do that since I provided him a service?
aditipie
Community Member

Kinza, I understand that first job may have several follow-up questions. So feel free to ask, if I left anything unaddressed.

I do not know your full situation. But if I feel burdened by a task, I would say something along these lines - "It was a rewarding experience to work on the first milestone. I look forward to your feedback. Before I start with the next milestone, I'd propose an additional milestone - strategy session. In this session, I will present you options and we can make decisions to complete the milestone flawlessly. The session will be ...." add session logistics here, including additional fees. Instead of a session,  it could be a "strategy document" or a "checklist". In other words, let them know that you are providing more services by actually offering a "product".   

When you ask for feedback for the first milestone, it will give you insight into what is going on at their end. I'd not worry about "what if they ask for refund" just yet. I'd focus on getting more information from them at this point.  

Lastly, before you accept any new contracts, I'd highly recommend attending Upwork webinars that help you navigate these scenarios.

kinzap
Community Member

Thank you so much for all your help 🙃
petra_r
Community Member

Kinza P wrote:
my concern also includes that a) this was a long term project and the rates were mentioned so how do I ask for a raise? 

You know, Kinza, sooner or later we have to deal with the consequences of our own actions. If you accepted a job with the rates clearly mentioned, and then want to bow out after the first milestone, you are free to do so, but not free of the consequences of that decision. It is what it is.

Kinza P wrote:
if the client tells me to refund the cash, why do I have to do that since I provided him a service?

Why would the client ask for a refund for work you have already done, unless that work would be useless to the client because you quit after the first part?

Again, if the client were to ask for a refund, you are free to decline such a request (obviously you would approve any request to return funds that are still in excrow for work you have not yet done)

The client is free to dispute and / or to express how he feels about his experience working with you when it comes to feedback.

kinzap
Community Member

Thanks a lot! Helped so much 🙃
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members