🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I report a client who asks for direct ...
Page options
2efd5d7b
Community Member

How do I report a client who asks for direct work and payment ?

I want to report a client, first, he sent me an interview invite and asked me to make a discussion with the CEO at slack and if I pass the interview he will talk with me about the job terms. I made a 
A LONG interview with the CEO.he told me I am accepted at the job if I accepted the terms which are working with him and get paid directly not through Upwork. I told him it is against Upwork terms. his reply was it is either you onboard or not !!! I told him I am not. he is interviewing 14 more freelancers and sure he tells them the same. I have screenshots of his messages.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Eptehal Y wrote:

... he sent me an interview invite and asked me to make a discussion with the CEO at slack and if I pass the interview he will talk with me about the job terms. I made a 

A LONG interview with the CEO.

Just flag the job post as inappropriate, but be aware that you are reporting yourself for a violation of Upwork's terms of Service too. 

You are not allowed to communicate with any client before a contract is in place.... That obviously includes Slack.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Eptehal Y wrote:

... he sent me an interview invite and asked me to make a discussion with the CEO at slack and if I pass the interview he will talk with me about the job terms. I made a 

A LONG interview with the CEO.

Just flag the job post as inappropriate, but be aware that you are reporting yourself for a violation of Upwork's terms of Service too. 

You are not allowed to communicate with any client before a contract is in place.... That obviously includes Slack.

2efd5d7b
Community Member

I'm not allowed to communicate with any client before a contract is in place, is that includes any interview?

petra_r
Community Member

Eptehal Y wrote:

I'm not allowed to communicate with any client before a contract is in place, is that includes any interview?

Absolutely! You may only communicate on the platform. No exceptions other than Enterprise clients.

2efd5d7b
Community Member

thank you so much Petra, I didn't know that for sure !! . I will take that into consideration with any future client, thank you again 

Eptehal Y.,

I include this text in my first communication with any potential new client:

"As you may know, during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use either Upwork’s VOIP service or Upwork’s Zoom-compatible app to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/217698348-Video-and-Voice-Calls

After that call, I can start work on this as soon as..."

I have never had a potential client complain about this, but the ones who don't want to comply probably don't bother going any further with my proposal. And that's fine with me...

Thank you for your advise I will sure take that into consideration with my future clients

Eptehal: I do not know for CERTAIN... but from what you wrote about this "client" (this "CEO").... It sounds to me like he is nothing but a schemer, and that no matter what you did, you were never going to earn any money working for him.

Even if he was planning to pay you (which I doubt) you would have been violating serious Upwork rules had you continued to go along with that rule-breaking client. Of course it is not worth risking losing your Upwork account entirely just to play along with one rule-breaker's scheme.

I totally agree with you. I withdrew his job proposal at the very moment he asked for working and paying directly I felt he is a schemer. for that reason, I wanted to report him 
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members