🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I send invoice to the company I worked...
Page options
bluewater0
Community Member

How do I send invoice to the company I worked as a freelance?

Hi,

I have a question of how a company pay for a freelance works in their office, on hour rate? This is in UK.

I am first time temporarily freelancer, have no idea how to deal with invoice and tax matter.
I was offered to do a freelance job for a company which was working on site in their office, hour rate £20.
I have worked 3 days, everyday I arrive 9.30 finish 5.30, I filled time sheet for each job and 30 minutes lunch time, there are time gap between jobs, for example I have done 2 jobs one day, spent 3 hours on each job, but there is 1 hour standby time between 2 jobs, I was in the office 8 hours, had lunch 30 minutes, so at the end of the day on the time sheet I have worked on 2 jobs 6 hours.
How do I invoice the company, to invoice the company by the time I was there (8 hours) per day or only get paid for the actual time spent on the jobs which is 6 hours.
Could anyone UK freelance help me withe an answer please.
Many thanks,

Zhuoling

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Zhuoling W wrote:

Hi,

I have a question of how a company pay for a freelance works in their office, on hour rate?

It has nothing to do with being in the UK. Did the client hire you on Upwork? Then, as Preston said, you track or log the hours in your work diary, the client gets invoiced automatically on Monday.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Feeelancers do not "send invoices."

Freelancers log time and are paid automatically.

Log time using the Upwork desktop time-tracker application. Or log time manually. That is all.

Hi Preston, 

Thank you for your reply. 
I am talking about hourly rate freelance in general not only for working through Upwork. I know it may be inappropriate to ask this question here as it wasn't Upwork's job, but I thought here will have freelancers with better knowledge.

The comapny is asking me to send them an invoice, so what is the answe? Do i invoice them the hours on the job or 8 hours per day (9:30 - 530)? 

When you say Freelancers log time and are paid automatically, do you mean the log time of arriving and leaving time or the log times for each job?

You will be highly appreciated if you can help me withe the answer.

Regards,

Zhuoling

re: "I am talking about hourly rate freelance in general not only for working through Upwork"

I think you are asking a legitimate question.

But you should have posted your question in the "Coffee Break" question, while specially stating that you were not asking about how to use Upwork, but were asking a general question about what hours to log.

Thank you Preston, sorry for posting in a wrong section.

Most of my work is off-Upwork.  I used a free time tracker (Top Tracker) and only track when I'm actively working. It has the facility to create invoices but my client has a proprietary time sheet that I use to transfer my time and bill him for.

Zhuoling W wrote:

I am talking about hourly rate freelance in general not only for working through Upwork.

In general it depends on what was agreed before you started working for them, but mostly freelancers would invoice only the hours they actively worked

Zhuoling W wrote:

Hi Preston, 

Thank you for your reply. 
I am talking about hourly rate freelance in general not only for working through Upwork. I know it may be inappropriate to ask this question here as it wasn't Upwork's job, but I thought here will have freelancers with better knowledge.

The comapny is asking me to send them an invoice, so what is the answe? Do i invoice them the hours on the job or 8 hours per day (9:30 - 530)? 

When you say Freelancers log time and are paid automatically, do you mean the log time of arriving and leaving time or the log times for each job?

You will be highly appreciated if you can help me withe the answer.

Regards,

Zhuoling

I take your question has  nothing to do with upwork, but these are questions you need to clarify with the person who hired you before you start working. 

petra_r
Community Member

Zhuoling W wrote:

Hi,

I have a question of how a company pay for a freelance works in their office, on hour rate?

It has nothing to do with being in the UK. Did the client hire you on Upwork? Then, as Preston said, you track or log the hours in your work diary, the client gets invoiced automatically on Monday.

Thanks Petra for the advice.

Cheers.

Zhuoling

When you do on-site freelance jobs in the UK, you invoice the client for the hours spent in their office, minus your lunch break. So if they request that you be in their office from 9:30-5:30 but they only have an hour of actual work for you to do, they still have to pay you for the hours that you're physically there.

Many thanks, Christine.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths