cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I switch from hourly to fixed price?

direct-response
Ace Contributor
Christopher D Member Since: Oct 26, 2015
1 of 18

HI folks, 

On Elance this was simple to do (on the freelancer's side), so I have a bad feeling that it's going to be difficult or impossible to do here. 

Someone please prove me wrong! Is there an easy way for the freelancer to change a job from hourly to fixed price? 

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 18

Hi Christopher,

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to do it on the freelancer side. The client would need to close the hourly contract, then create and invite/hire you on a fixed rate project. I've had to ask clients to do that, generally when I'm invited to an hourly gig, but I only work fixed rate. Normally the client is more than happy to oblige.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
3 of 18

Yep. You were right. There is no way to do that here and if the client closes the hourly contract with no hours, no pay and no feedback in order to open a fixed rate contract instead, your JSS will take a hit... exact thing happened to me and support said they would not remove it from my score. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 18

It's  not possible for freelancers to initiate, but it is not impossible to negotiate an hourly to fixed rate, provided you both agree to it at interview stage - before the contract is a done deal.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
5 of 18

One way to do it, that I almost did on my last job because he posted it as hourly but WAS able to switch it to fixed rate BEFORE he offered it to me...but if the discussion came up after the offer was accepted......, you can agree that you will manually put in X amount of hours of work and that will be the cost of the job. You can add hours to your profile this way still doing fixed price work but manual hours isn't guaranteed to pay so you need to have a really good feeling about the client before doing it. 

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
6 of 18

This is a client-oriented platform, and the answer is no. There is no option for the freelancer to have much control over those changes.  

kankennon
Ace Contributor
Jason D Member Since: Dec 8, 2015
7 of 18

I've had excellent luck overall working hourly using manual time exclusively over the past four+ years with oDesk/Upwork. All of my nearly 2000 hours were Manual Time.

My clients who choose to pay me hourly know ahead of time how much completed work they are getting from me for an Upwork hour and can budget accordingly for a whole project or multiple projects even without having to open/close a new contract every time.

If perchance a customer has a special job for me that they want to pay a fixed amount for while I have an hourly contract with them, then that can be accommodated accordingly in manual time too.

Let's say I have a current hourly contract open with a customer and they have a special project show up that they have a fixed $50 budget on. If I have them set up at an hourly rate of $30/hour that means that every ten minutes is worth $5 (Upwork breaks down manual time in 10-minute increments), so I would merely need to work for them for an hour and forty minutes and that translates to $50 on a $30/hour schedule.

My repeat customers love the convenience that affords them and that they don't have to open or close or approve a new milestone for every little thing that needs done. They simply need to look at their time sheet every week and say, "Yep!"

So in all of these years, I've only been stiffed by two customers--one that disappeared without paying after the work was produced and another that decided they only wanted to pay half of the agreed-upon amount because they decided to go a different direction after the work was already completed. Both of those contracts were fixed price. (And also cheap ones, like $30 or less, so it wasn't worth my time and effort to fight/contest them.)

TL;DR: Manual Time has been velly velly good to me.

meetaga
Ace Contributor
Meeta A Member Since: Jul 29, 2015
8 of 18

Yes, many of us do what Jason D. explained. 

But for manual hour recording, one needs to be sure whehter the client will pay, as it is not upwork protected.

Hope to see  "switch to fixed-price" soon. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 18

Christopher,

Nichola and Jessica are correct. Negotiate with prospects prior to their making an Offer, the page for which has a fairly obvious (I'm told) "switch to fixed-price" button available.

All I want for Christmas is for @Upwork to document this procedure.

Best,

MIchael

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
10 of 18

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Nichola and Jessica are correct. Negotiate with prospects prior to their making an Offer, the page for which has a fairly obvious (I'm told) "switch to fixed-price" button available.

All I want for Christmas is for @Upwork to document this procedure.

Correct, there is no "switch to fixed price" facility on existing hourly jobs, only "switch to hourly" on existing fixed price ones.

However, the "fixed price or hourly" option when posting a job or then setting up a contract would be very hard to miss and frankly if a client requires extensive documentation on how to choose one of two options on one fairly simple page maybe online hiring isn't for them..... 

when creating a job the first page a client is confronted with is this: (nothing else on it, just "hourly or fixed?")

hourly or fixed

Then, after interviewing etc, when sending the offer / creating a contract the client sees the page below (if they had originally set up the job post as hourly. If it was set up to be fixed rate it would have the fixed rate and escrow details and a "switch to hourly" option instead of the "switch to fixed" one.)

Much on Upwork requires some getting used to, but this particular process really is not difficult to navigate....

switch.png

not really rocket science.

View solution in original post

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS