cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I switch from hourly to fixed price?

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
11 of 18

@Petra R wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Nichola and Jessica are correct. Negotiate with prospects prior to their making an Offer, the page for which has a fairly obvious (I'm told) "switch to fixed-price" button available.

All I want for Christmas is for @Upwork to document this procedure.

Correct, there is no "switch to fixed price" facility on existing hourly jobs, only "switch to hourly" on existing fixed price ones.

However, the "fixed price or hourly" option when posting a job or then setting up a contract would be very hard to miss and frankly if a client requires extensive documentation on how to choose one of two options on one fairly simple page maybe online hiring isn't for them..... 

when creating a job the first page a client is confronted with is this: (nothing else on it, just "hourly or fixed?")

hourly or fixed

Then, after interviewing etc, when sending the offer / creating a contract the client sees the page below (if they had originally set up the job post as hourly. If it was set up to be fixed rate it would have the fixed rate and escrow details and a "switch to hourly" option instead of the "switch to fixed" one.)

Much on Upwork requires some getting used to, but this particular process really is not difficult to navigate....

switch.png

not really rocket science.

Maybe not for clients - but the freelancer still as no option, and that was the OP's question.  

We should be able to do it for clients that are not trained in rocket science.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 18

Petra R wrote:

....when creating a job the first page a client is confronted with is this: (nothing else on it, just "hourly or fixed?")

hourly or fixed

....not really rocket science.

Ooh, an early present? Thanks, Petra! 
I mentioned that the process is fairly obvious to the client. And why, exactly, are we taking time out of our busy days to explain the negotiation process and its critical timing to contractors for the umpty-oddth time? And why, exactly, does Upwork think it's any of its business to "recommend" a payment method? Bah, humbug!
Best,
Michael

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 18

Hi Michael and others,

A bit late for a Christmas gift, but the ability to switch contract type at the offer stage has been documented here.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 18

OMG Valeria you are my favorite person until my next post edit, which probably won't be long.

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
15 of 18

It is yet another design flaw of UW that Elancers are going to be asking about once they come over and find they can't work as they used to. 

Brace yourselves. The questions are coming. 

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
16 of 18
Thanks for posting detailed screenshots Petra. Those of us without client accounts are usually in the dark.

Also, isn't that what Michael said about the 'switch to fixed price' button? prior to an offer.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 18

@Setu M wrote:
Thanks for posting detailed screenshots Petra. Those of us without client accounts are usually in the dark.

Also, isn't that what Michael said about the 'switch to fixed price' button? prior to an offer.

Yes, it's what Michael said, the original question was switching an existing contract so I thought I wrap it all up in one to clarify what I was talking about! Plus Michael wanted documentation for Christmas 😉

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
18 of 18
Ok nice.

Early Christmas gifts 🙂 on Petra.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS