🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How do fixed prices work?
Page options
projectunfazed
Community Member

How do fixed prices work?

Hello!

I've mostly done hourly contracts for my time here and looking for some fixed price jobs, but I'm still a bit confused about how fixed prices work:

Say there's a fixed price contract of $600 for an ongoing project. If I set milestones for the tasks,will those milestones be equal to $600 and that's all? What if the fixed price project is like an ongoing comic book  job-- I'm sure most people don't wanna draw for a year on fixed price job for just a milestoned $600. I don't see any job posts like that indicating that they wiill reset the fixed price every time all milestones are completed is completed.

So ultimately will the $600 be all? My apologies if this seems like a pretty obvious question, sometimes I need things explained in a different way.  😅

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Apryl M wrote:

Hello!

I've mostly done hourly contracts for my time here and looking for some fixed price jobs, but I'm still a bit confused about how fixed prices work:

Say there's a fixed price contract of $600 for an ongoing project. If I set milestones for the tasks,will those milestones be equal to $600 and that's all? What if the fixed price project is like an ongoing comic book  job-- I'm sure most people don't wanna draw for a year on fixed price job for just a milestoned $600. I don't see any job posts like that indicating that they wiill reset the fixed price every time all milestones are completed is completed.

So ultimately will the $600 be all? My apologies if this seems like a pretty obvious question, sometimes I need things explained in a different way.  😅

Hi Apryl,

If you opt for fixed-price projects, you can be paid $600 (your example) as a lump sum or in milestones (increments).  It's up to you and the client.  What's great about a fixed price is that you can set it for a total and you or the client can keep adding milestones as additional projects or steps in the project arise.  You don't see jobs advertised like this because it's on a case-by-case basis depending on the type of project and circumstances.  

Hope this makes sense.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

Apryl M wrote:

Hello!

Hi Apryl,

If you opt for fixed-price projects, you can be paid $600 (your example) as a lump sum or in milestones (increments).  It's up to you and the client.  What's great about a fixed price is that you can set it for a total and you or the client can keep adding milestones as additional projects or steps in the project arise.  You don't see jobs advertised like this because it's on a case-by-case basis depending on the type of project and circumstances.  

Hope this makes sense.  

Oh, I see. I'll be sticking to hourly for that kind of work then, thank you!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Apryl, 

In case you will work on fixed-price contracts in the future, I'm sharing this help article that lists the differences between hourly and fixed-price contracts. The article has links that lead to other helpful articles and hopefully this will help you decide what contracts to work with in the future.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members