cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i accept work from someone who already left me imperfect feedback?

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
1 of 26

Hello!

Basically, i had a client for who we did a certain amount of work, and he left feedback of 4.5, and as a result, my JSS dropped to 99%. That was around a month ago. The client is happy with our work, he just had no idea that any feedback lower than 5.0 is harmful on this market, saying "straight 5 won't be believable anyway". He wants to hire us again, but a question, is there a way i can accept payment from him that won't put me at risk of a bad feedback? Certainly i don't want to create a new contract, trust is lost. If he gives a bonus to the old contract, will that make things worse by making the "weight" of past "bad" feedback higher and further depressing my JSS? Or a bonus is always a plus, it's a bonus after all?

If there's no way, i'll just pass on him. I have a ton of other customers anyway.

Alexander

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 26

Alexander N wrote:

Basically, i had a client for who we did a certain amount of work, and he left feedback of 4.5, and as a result, my JSS dropped to 99%.

The stars themselves aren't what affects your JSS as much as the private feedback. The client was happy, but saw room for improvement, I am not sure why you are so offended by that.

Alexander N wrote:

If he gives a bonus to the old contract, will that make things worse by making the "weight" of past "bad" feedback higher and further depressing my JSS?

It will not make a difference. JSS is not Dollar weighted at present. The old star system was.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
3 of 26

So basically, you suggest that i accept the payment as bonus to old contract, and that will not harm me any further? Good if true.

petra_r
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 26

Alexander N wrote:

So basically, you suggest that i accept the payment as bonus to old contract, and that will not harm me any further?

Yes

View solution in original post

bizwriterjohn
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
5 of 26

We continue to focus on only what is a part of the ratings equation.  Hiring clients have a project completion drop-down box to check off and a sliding scale of ratings we do not see.

There is much that affects our JSS that we do not see on the -star rating.  It is entirely possible to see 5-0s granted in public and have hidden responses from clients that adversely affect our JSS.

I use these words when I start a contract.  They do not, to my knowledge, violate Upwork policy.  In short - I say this.

"The moment I click on accept this contract, you hold my ratings within your hands.  My JSS ratings are my billboard.  They are my window to the world.  They are serious: they impact my ability to gain new work and be accepted as a vitally trustworthy resource.  I have two business objectives: deliver perfectly and ensure my ratings reflect this. I can control only one.  I will do my part."

Then I hush up and let the gravity of the situation take hold.  Yes.  Do I say these words.  I do.

They are truth, they are real, they are business-focused, and they help re-inforce, that little bitty-seeming number is actually determinant of our income, in more cases than not.

Food for feast.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
6 of 26

John B wrote:

We continue to focus on only what is a part of the ratings equation.  Hiring clients have a project completion drop-down box to check off and a sliding scale of ratings we do not see.

There is much that affects our JSS that we do not see on the -star rating.  It is entirely possible to see 5-0s granted in public and have hidden responses from clients that adversely affect our JSS.

I use these words when I start a contract.  They do not, to my knowledge, violate Upwork policy.  In short - I say this.

"The moment I click on accept this contract, you hold my ratings within your hands.  My JSS ratings are my billboard.  They are my window to the world.  They are serious: they impact my ability to gain new work and be accepted as a vitally trustworthy resource.  I have two business objectives: deliver perfectly and ensure my ratings reflect this. I can control only one.  I will do my part."

Then I hush up and let the gravity of the situation take hold.  Yes.  Do I say these words.  I do.

They are truth, they are real, they are business-focused, and they help re-inforce, that little bitty-seeming number is actually determinant of our income, in more cases than not.

Food for feast.

Great advise. Have inexperience freelancers freak out if they do not get 5* in each category and come here to seek help they do not need. If a client decides that the freelancer failed in his business objectives because the freelancer overestimeted his qualification, it was the freelancer that failed. Telling a client that he is responsible for my JSS is one of the worst advises ever.

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 26

Jennifer R wrote:

John B wrote:

drivel

one of the worst advices ever.

Best to ignore drivel, that makes it sink faster....

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 26

John B wrote:

Hey boomer, I thought you were a Christmas season treat. Are you blessing us on a weekly basis now?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
atreglia
Community Guru
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
9 of 26

John B wrote:

"The moment I click on accept this contract, you hold my ratings within your hands.  

I'd run.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 26

John B wrote:

"The moment I click on accept this contract, you hold my ratings within your hands.  My JSS ratings are my billboard.  They are my window to the world.  They are serious: they impact my ability to gain new work and be accepted as a vitally trustworthy resource.

Translation: You, client, have all the cards. You are officially on notice that I am disproportionately concerned about how you rate me, and that you can likely hold me hostage and get me to do more than you've paid for because I fear low ratings. 

Possibly (?), this works for a relatively high-dollar, established freelancer. But, for a newcomer, it's like painting a flashing neon bullseye on his/her own chest.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS