cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i accept work from someone who already left me imperfect feedback?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
11 of 26

Alexander,

It's a real pity that Upwork's opaque JSS system has created fear in the hearts of so many good freelancers that a score below 100 is cause for alarm, a certain harbinger of lower future work and pay.

If you trust the customer to pay you in full as agreed at the end of the bonus period but you don't trust the client to give you a perfect 5.0 stars and private rating on the extra work, setting up a bonus agreement sounds like the way to go. Just remember that bonus payments are not covered by Upwork payment protection rules.

Good luck.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 26

Nobody is perfect.

All 5.0 star ratings are mathematically incorrect.

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
13 of 26

"The moment I click on accept this contract... <snip>

If I wrote something like that, most of my clients would respond with something along the lines of "Are you feeling OK? Have I upset you?"

Admittedly, I sometimes (only when it's clear that person won't get irritated with such a request) say after a week or so after work is finished something along the lines of "If you have a spare minute to close this contract, it would be greatly appreciated." And if they do, I tell them they're rather lovely for doing so. That's always been more than enough.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 26

Kim F wrote:

"The moment I click on accept this contract... <snip>

If I wrote something like that, most of my clients would respond with something along the lines of "Are you feeling OK? Have I upset you?"

Admittedly, I sometimes (only when it's clear that person won't get irritated with such a request) say after a week or so after work is finished something along the lines of "If you have a spare minute to close this contract, it would be greatly appreciated." And if they do, I tell them they're rather lovely for doing so. That's always been more than enough.

lol same, same.

OP, I would just go for the money. I have a client who never rates all 5s and probably gives me a 9 on private feedback. I know for sure it's her. She holds my JSS down to 99% but who cares? I still get jobs and have no issue selling people. In this case, I would just go for the money.

atreglia
Community Guru
Anna T Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
15 of 26

Alexander N wrote:

Hello!

Basically, i had a client for who we did a certain amount of work, and he left feedback of 4.5, and as a result, my JSS dropped to 99%. That was around a month ago. The client is happy with our work, he just had no idea that any feedback lower than 5.0 is harmful on this market, saying "straight 5 won't be believable anyway". He wants to hire us again, but a question, is there a way i can accept payment from him that won't put me at risk of a bad feedback? Certainly i don't want to create a new contract, trust is lost. If he gives a bonus to the old contract, will that make things worse by making the "weight" of past "bad" feedback higher and further depressing my JSS? Or a bonus is always a plus, it's a bonus after all?

If there's no way, i'll just pass on him. I have a ton of other customers anyway.

Alexander

This just happened to me and I wasn't sure what to do either.  My JSS went from 100 to 96, bam, just like that.  For the life of me I could't figure out where I went wrong - still can't because I can't imagine one 93% review tanking my JSS by 4 points.  Anyway, the client is back with another project.  So, I'll just take the bonus.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
16 of 26

"The moment I click on accept this contract, you hold my ratings within your hands.  My JSS ratings are my billboard.  They are my window to the world.  This is poetry. This is not mere prosaic text. These are a writer's artistic eaglets, venturing out into the world: small, but strong and elegant.

They are serious: they impact my ability to gain new work and be accepted as a vitally trustworthy resource.  I always admire writers who are able to stretch into two or three sentences what others are able to say using only a few words. I have two business objectives: deliver perfectly and ensure my ratings reflect this. I can control only one.  I will do my part."

Then I hush up and let the gravity of the situation take hold.  Yes.  Do I say these words.  I do. The courage shown by the OP! He does! He does!

They are truth, they are real, Run that through your mind again. Marvel at it: They are TRUTH! They are REAL! they are business-focused, and they help re-inforce, that little bitty-seeming number is actually determinant of our income, in more cases than not.

Food for feast." "Food for feast." That's so deep it lost me. I don't even understand what it means. But it's deep.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
17 of 26

Janean L wrote:

Food for feast." "Food for feast." That's so deep it lost me. I don't even understand what it means. But it's deep.

I don't understand what it means, either, but it's making me crave an ice cream bar, for some reason.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
18 of 26

Phyllis G wrote:

Janean L wrote:

I don't understand what it means, either, but it's making me crave an ice cream bar, for some reason.

My guess is it's akin to a portmanteau of food for thought and feast for sore eyes?

Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
19 of 26

5 start should be a default rating for a completed job without any unresolved conflicts. Everyone makes mistakes, and only the ones that cannot be fixed or are systematic.

When a client says "straight 5 won't be believable anyway" I bet they will be angry when they get something below 5. They forget they also get evaluated and rated.

If I see a potential client putting low scores without explanation or a "4.0 - everything was great" they become a "withdraw application" client.

I think we should have a thumbs up\down rating. Because this it's more obvious that 4.0 is still positive. And you put a negative only when you had bad experience, not average.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 26

Viacheslav K wrote:

5 start should be a default rating for a completed job without any unresolved conflicts. 

In other words, Passable = Perfect and there is no means to distinguish outstanding work? 

I can see where that works great for mediocre freelancers who put in the minimum, but don't you think clients might like to be able to tell who the really great ones are, instead of "didn't actually break anything" and "best freelancer I've ever worked with" having the same numerical value?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS