cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i check if the client is the one who he claims to be?

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
1 of 24

I got a new client and before i start working, i want to check if he's really from a company he claims to be (very cool if true, obvious red flag if he's a liar). How do i go about that? The company's website does not reveal a founder team.

What are polite, acceptable ways of checking customers? Say, what if i ask him to communicate with me through the email on the company's domain? What other methods can you guys suggest? Don't want to be caught into a fake.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 24

@Alexander N wrote:

What are polite, acceptable ways of checking customers? Say, what if i ask him to communicate with me through the email on the company's domain? What other methods can you guys suggest? Don't want to be caught into a fake.

If googling doesn't help, I don't think there's a 'polite' way. Is the client 'new' to you or to Upwork? If he has a good hiring history already, content yourself with that. If not, then it's like any new client, as long as they don't violate ToS, only submit work if it's hourly or there's a funded milestone, but think twice about taking on a large, fixed price job.

3 of 24

I am not concerned about getting paid, but rather about my reputation. But yes, i got your idea. Thanks.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 24

You're welcome, though I wonder why your reputation would be affected by working for a client who misrepresents himself. If you do so knowingly, then perhaps, but even then it seems to me either you or the client would have to publicize this, and why would you do that?

5 of 24

This is just an instinct... Whole thing looks 'fishy'. So i am in doubt.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 24

@Alexander N wrote:

This is just an instinct... Whole thing looks 'fishy'. So i am in doubt.

Then go for it. Ask them Innocently for a back-up e-mail in case Upwork is down (your hands won't shake if you write this). If it's, let's say a Yahoo e-mail or something, you'll know. 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
7 of 24

If gut instinct sez "NO!" - end the arrangement.  Very simple.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
8 of 24

OK so, i have worked on this project for a month and a half, and while the client definitely is a real one and has money to pay, he appears to be so terribly busy that he forgets most of the stuff i am writing him, never reads documentation i painstakingly prepare, and essentially left me on my own with the project. He asks for deliverables on a crazy (but realistic, if he tested frequently and provided good feedback over short iterations - which he has no time to do) schedule. A few days ago there was a drastic change in direction which he says he implied from the beginning  - but which was clearly not defined in the schedule i have prepared for him 3 weeks ago - and he just admitted he never read it, just said ok - because he didn't have time.

This leaves me in a difficult situation - it looks like i will fail this project for the reasons beyond my control. Most likely not fail entirely, but not fit into time and budget.

What are my options, what do you guys suggest? As a top rated freelancer, will i be able to remove this project from history and JSS calculation? Is it a subject of some decision made by Upwork staff (allow me that or not), or my automatic right, i just have to ask and it's done? First time i will need it.

Of course failure is no way certain, but it starts to look bad, so i have to prepare my options.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 24

yeah sometimes poop happens without a doubt

I would first see what he rates you and how hard it hits your jss. So like if you're at 100 and you drop to 97, I'd use the perk. If you drop 1 point and all he does is rate you a few stars, then meh I dunno if I'd bother.

100% jss is probably a bad example too cuz god dammit I swore I'd not care as long as I'm 90%+ but with 100% all you can ever look forward to is disappointment when it goes down. lol. But you get the idea.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
10 of 24

trick is that the project is sizeable. when the **bleep** hits the fan the billing will approach $30K, which is about what i make in 2-3 months. so, not sure how it impacts my JSS, but probably, significantly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS