cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i check if the client is the one who he claims to be?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 24

It's not dollar weighted, so it doesn't matter how much the contract is for.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
Alexander N Member Since: Dec 28, 2008
12 of 24

I didn't know that. Thanks for advice! OK i will see what will happen and then see if need to invoke the perk.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
13 of 24

OK it happened. The contract has ended in failure. My first time in like 5 years. I am going to invoke that option once the client closes the contract. Wish me luck.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
14 of 24

Good luck!

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
15 of 24

Just did it. Makes me feel very worried. Obviously, client left devastating feedback. Hope removal works.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
16 of 24

Just be aware that the project itself will remain on your history. If you had the public feedback removed, there will be a note, "this feedback has been removed." AND, if someone really wants to dig, they can still see the star rating if they click through to see the full job description and scroll to the bottom to see the client's job history. Check out the one on my profile for an example (two whole hours of work for a nightmare). Click on the title of the job in my history, at the bottom of the popup window click "View Entire Job Post" and then scroll all the way down. Argh.

If I had really understood how removing feedback worked, I would not have rated the client at all - but I knew it went south and did everything all at once. I know better now!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 24

Well I would have not rated him until the feedback got removed. You have essentially 2 weeks to hide the feedback and Upwork promises to remove bad feedback in a week, so you can just have it removed before it shows. You can basically hide feedback so that it never sees the light of day.

Doesn't matter now I guess but that's a tip for future problems.

jcullinan
Community Guru
18 of 24

The only way to see the client's public feedback is to provide your own. In my case, I was super-curious about what this person would say, so I went ahead with it, having already requested that it all be removed. It was one of those "first time client" 10% dealios. But in hindsight, yes, waiting and not rating is better.

alexandernovikov
Community Guru
19 of 24

OK so. It got removed. Looks like i am clear of this and my JSS won't be impacted.

Still thinking what i could do to avoid this in the future. Clearly it was a problem of vetting the client - after the first 6 weeks, it was clear to me that there is absolutely no way in the world to work productively with this client, and his expectations are far beyond reasonable (especially since he provides so little inputs). But it was too late, next 4 weeks were attempts to avoid the already inevitable, i know it was going to fail no matter what i do.

But i still can't come up with a criteria to filter out these clients. I once had an idea that working for Russian speakers was a bad idea - but a year ago i had an excellent Russian client, who was happy with my work and made me a ton of money with almost no effort - not on Upwork though. Same goes for Indian clients - in spite of what people say, nearly every experience i had with Indians was a happy one. So nationality clearly isn't a factor. I also tend to have less success with clients who are not coders themselves, i better speak to IT person than a business person. But this one was a coder! I feel totally lost, maybe that is really just luck and there is no way to prevent **bleep** from happening from time to time?

I feel that not being able to figure it out, i will never move past 'craft' phase into 'business' phase of what i do, and that makes me really sad.

jcullinan
Community Guru
20 of 24

I don't think there's any way to overwhelmingly predict which client relationships are going to be great and which are going to turn into nightmares. You can make some educated guesses, based on their behavior, but there's usually no way of knowing for sure before you take on the project.

My one piece of advice from long experience is to not be afraid of walking away or "firing" the client. In the situation you describe, I would have bailed a long time ago. You knew it was going badly, but you kept trying - I'd call that an error, personally. If you can't work with someone, you're never going to make them happy. You've got better things to do!

But hey, at least you made money... almost $30k is nothing to sneeze at.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS