cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i know if Job offer/company is legit

Roshell H Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
1 of 21

I was contacted by 3 companies for Administrative Jobs, they all requested or suggested to conduct Yahoo Messenger interviews never a phone interview, I find that strange. But with advance communication media I assumed its ok; they all offered to send me a check to start up my home office to purchase computer software for work. Again I find this to be strange, the checks came and I called the bank to verify the checks and they were all invalid checks, account was close etc. according to the bank its a fraudulent activity. How do I know if theyse jobs are legitimate? I research the company they say they are working for the company exist, but how do I know if they are just stealing company logo, names etc. Have anyone encounter this problem on Upwork, 3 frauds in 2 weeks I'm ready to quite Upwork, because I feel like nothing is real here, or am I just attracting the scammers?

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 21

@Roshell H wrote:

I was contacted by 3 companies for Administrative Jobs, they all requested or suggested to conduct Yahoo Messenger interviews never a phone interview, I find that strange. But with advance communication media I assumed its ok; they all offered to send me a check to start up my home office to purchase computer software for work. Again I find this to be strange, the checks came and I called the bank to verify the checks and they were all invalid checks, account was close etc. according to the bank its a fraudulent activity. How do I know if theyse jobs are legitimate? I research the company they say they are working for the company exist, but how do I know if they are just stealing company logo, names etc. Have anyone encounter this problem on Upwork, 3 frauds in 2 weeks I'm ready to quite Upwork, because I feel like nothing is real here, or am I just attracting the scammers?

This is a common scam - I've seen several people talking about it on the message boards. I have never had a legitimate client ask me to conduct Yahoo Messenger interviews - that seems to be a common theme with scams, although I'm not sure why.

None of these 'send you a check' jobs are legitimate. I would take some time to read through the threads on the message boards. There are a alot of great jobs available and the scammers tend to target new freelancers, so I know it can seem like there's nothing good, but there is!

Research the message boards, especially the top message posts about getting a first job and job scam posts.  

Brenda W Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
3 of 21

I received the same type f invite - again I am a new Freelancer.  Several things caught my eye - first, the number of people named on the invite the fact that that there were two differnt companies invloved, the absence of any stats - no jobs, hires or payments and the immediate demand to get off Upwork and add google hangouts to connect with them.

I declined the job, connected with the companies (one of which is having significnt issues with someone using their compan name for  fraudulent recruitment) and reported the issue to Upwork as well. 

When I checked 41 people had bid on the job and two were interviewing and 1 was hired?? Aparently they are seeking personal information and money sometimes.

I hate this - it has happened more than once and the job sounded so great - grrr!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 21

re: "am I just attracting the scammers?"

Roshell:

YES.

You are attracting scammers.

This is due to the nature of your profile as well as your lack of experience on Upwork.

These scammers NEVER contact me and the never contact many of the other experienced contractors here in the Forum.

Three times in a row you were invited to interview using Yahoo Messenger. Three times in a row you were sent fraudulent checks.

It is important for you to understand that NO legitimate client is going to ask you to use Yahoo Messenger

NOT legitimate client is going to send you a check. For any reason. Ever. It is a violation of Upwork ToS.

Roshell, you do NOT NEED TO QUIT Upwork if you are really serious about working through this platform.

But you MUST IGNORE all invitations for now. You will NOT receive any legitimate invitations until you have a significant work history.

All invitations that you receive right now will be fraudulent, from fake clients who are actually scammers who will not pay you, but only intend to do you harm.

Until you have completed some successful jobs, you should not agree to any job until you come here to the Community Form to discuss the details... what type of work it is, what the payment is, etc. We will be able to tell you if you are about to be scammed or not.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 21

re: "I research the company they say they are working for the company exist, but how do I know if they are just stealing company logo, names etc."

Roshell,

You researched the companies, and you felt that doing so confirmed that these are legitimate companies.

In every case, you were then duped by scammers.

I urge you to never again google or otherwise use external resources to research the companies that potential clients claim to represent. This has not been a successful strategy for you in the past, and it will not be helpful to you in the future.

I have never googled a client. I rely on the information I find on Upwork and the discussions I have with them. I have never been ripped off or hired by a scammer.

Many of my clients have no presence whatsoever on the Internet. They are people with money who are starting new projects. They are not on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook. I don't care. They pay me real money to do real work. That's what I care about.

Any scammer can claim to represent any company. Don't believe them. It will be better for you to learn the signs of a scammer and learn how to find legitimate Upwork clients based on their Upwork histories and/or proposed contracts.

Brittney L Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
6 of 21

what are the signs sof a scammer

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 21

@Brittney L wrote:

what are the signs sof a scammer

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
8 of 21

@Preston H wrote:

But you MUST IGNORE all invitations for now. You will NOT receive any legitimate invitations until you have a significant work history.

All invitations that you receive right now will be fraudulent, from fake clients who are actually scammers who will not pay you, but only intend to do you harm.

Until you have completed some successful jobs, you should not agree to any job until you come here to the Community Form to discuss the details... what type of work it is, what the payment is, etc. We will be able to tell you if you are about to be scammed or not.

What?!  This is extreme. I was new once, just a few months ago, and this is not how it works. I got valid invites too.. even early on. Not many, but a few.  I never came to the forum to discuss a job before I took it and I somehow came out alive. 

Just follow protocol... apply to jobs. Discuss them with clients in the mesasging system. Don't accept offers if the payment method isn't verified, don't do any test work for free, and don't accept any payments off this platform.  if you get an invite, then you reply that you are interested (if you are). If anything other than chatting online or a quick phone call discussion is requested, come in and ask about it. Read the thread at the top about scammy clients. If you have a funny feeling about it, just ask. A good number of clients are real - don't be afraid of them just be on the lookout for scams. They will prey on new freelancers but just follow your gut feeling and ask when in doubt.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 21

@Jessica S wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

What?!  This is extreme. I was new once, just a few months ago, and this is not how it works. I got valid invites too.. even early on.

Jessica, your profile and the OPs profiles are on different planets. 

Preston may be exaggerating a little bit but those scammers are pretty good at sniffing out newbies who are a little unaware of the dangers of the Internet (this fake check thing is one of the oldest scams on the net, and has been used by thousands of scammers all over the net for at least a decade) They specifically target people who come across like the (fairly rare) type of person who has not yet heard of it.

Stephanie F Member Since: Feb 24, 2018
10 of 21

I really appreciate you and all this information.  I almost got scammed with my personal ID, address and important information.  I saw too many red flags to fall for it.  Asking for my bank account and etc.   So discouraging.  Here is the job offer letter they sent me.  The logo is a red flag and it does not look like a proper letterhead for a corporation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS