cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i know if Job offer/company is legit

Amanda R Member Since: Jan 10, 2017
11 of 21

Hello, I got offered a job with **Edited for Community Guidelines**. A courier company out of Chicago. It is a home virtual assistant. I went through an interview process using google hangouts. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if its legit, if I should go head with them. Thanks

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 21

did they send you an offer through upwork? With a verified CC on file or an escrowed milestone?

Stephanie F Member Since: Feb 24, 2018
13 of 21

No,  it did not have a verified cc on it.  I didn't know about this until I ran into a forum.  I appreciate everyone for helping out the newbies on Upwork.

Brittney L Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
14 of 21

what does the verified cc look like

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
15 of 21

It's probably not legitimate.  Did they offer to send you a check to buy software and hardware for your home office?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 21

re: "Hello, I got offered a job with **Edited for Community Guidelines**. A courier company out of Chicago."

Amanda:

It is not acceptable for you to name client companies like this in the Community Forum.

Also, when you name a company like this, and ask about it, it shows that you do not understand how Upwork functions.

Ignore company names. They are meaningless. Do not google company names and client/employee names.

What matters is the client's behavior and Upwork record... NOT the name.

re: "I went through an interview process using google hangouts. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if its legit, if I should go head with them. Thanks"

You are a newbie and you were invited to interview using Google Hangouts, and you googled the company name and found a real company.

This means you were scammed.

If you click on your "My Jobs" tab, you will see that there is NO CONTRACT listed for this job. This "client" never actually clicked the "Hire" button on their client-side interface which would result in you getting an official offer.

You have never seen a message or green button in your Upwork interface that would allow you to "Accept" this contract.

This means that the "client" is trying to trick you into working for free and participating in a financial scam which will drain money from your bank account. The scammer "client" probably wants to send you a fake check which you will use to pay them real cash from your bank account, but then the bank will figure out that the check is fake, and they'll take the money from your account to cover the loss.

Christine D Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
17 of 21

Hello, I am very glad to see this post as I was just contacted by what I'm assuming is a scammer with this same scenario. They'll send a cheque for me to purchase equipment.

Is there a way to report this to Upwork? Because the message I received actually came from someone who is on here as a freelancer, **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I am new at this.

Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 21

Hi Christine,

I'll forward your report to the team and they'll review the job. Please, stop communicating with this client via Upwork or any other means. 

Check out this post with helpful tips about avoiding questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
19 of 21

There are scammers in every profession. Start by screening jobs by "Payment Verified." Those are very unlikely to be scams. A request to use IM for an interview is a red flag; most IM conversations are difficult to impossible to find on the internet after they occur.

If you insist on going "by the book," with all communication through UW, that's a plus to a legitimate client, especially if you're new. It means you're careful, and will be careful with my information. It means you're ethical, a huge plus.

In the past I hired teams of varied specialties for complex projects. I had great success with new freelancers whose profiles caught my eye. I issued them invitations for small jobs, less than $500, so very little was at risk in a $50K project. Every one of them exceeded my expectations. Then again, I had a verified payment method and a history of successful hires.

As a provider, I research my prospective clients. Few $B companies advertise publicly on job boards, they use recruiters, or cutouts, or the special services of companies such as UW. I often decline when the inviter has no web presence, but not always. A client claiming to be with ABC company, which produces paper products, isn't going to be asking for help starting a new cruise line.

In a response, I point out that there is no web presence and no verified payment method, and I will not accept any work without both.

Brittney L Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
20 of 21

if it said payment verified does that mean they are legit

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS