Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do proposals appear for the client?

chebbaelyes
Elyes M Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 30

Hello,

I've been having lots of trouble landing a job, because I don't have a previous work record yet in upwork. My profile is well made and I followed the advices on how to write the cover letter and everything else. But it's just not happening.

So, I'm starting to wonder if the client ever sees my proposal. In my line of work, which is transcription and translation, tens of applicants apply for the jobs. I wonder if the client just sorts them by price or by work history, never bothering to actually read all of them.

How do the proposals even appear to the client? Any one got a picture for that?

Thanks.

vboikova
Ace Contributor
Valeria B Member Since: Oct 4, 2015
2 of 30

Hi Elyes,

I have posted a job on UpWork and from my experience I've observed the following:

Certain applicants to a job appear as "Recommended", I am not sure what the algorithm for determining which freelancers are recommended for which jobs, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the "Recommended" feed in the job search - so try to look at the recommended jobs for you, and the ones e-mailed to you if you have e-mail notifications for jobs that match your skills! That way you will show up higher in the applications for jobs.

If there are additional questions to fill out when submitting your proposal, such as "What past project or job have you had that is most like this one and why?" those appear first in your application, and the proposal letter is below them - so make sure you answer the additional questions as descriptevly as possible and put the most important information in the beginning of the questions because the job holder will see them first! 

Your status ( online or offline ) is also visible along with your proposal - so make sure to stay online as much as possible, as that might encourage job holders to message you.

Edit:

I've posted a private job and invited myself to it in order to demonstrate - here is a screenshot of how job proposals appear to clients on UpWork:

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 8.51.01 PM copy.png

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 30
Thanks for the screenshot, Valéria.

It might be less disheartening to have client questions be the first thing clients see if Upwork weren't encouraging them to ask things like "What is your favorite color?"

Lucky me, I rarely see questions. The one time I did recently, they had clearly been created by the job poster and were specific screening questions for the job. Others have reported different experiences.

Best,
Michael
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 30

I do believe it is against TOS to post a job and invite yourself.  I know you are just trying to help, but you could get "warned" about this.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 30

Hi Valéria,

Please, note that it's against the policies to have more than one account per user. Make sure you close all accounts but one as soon as possible. Additionally, we do not suggest posting a job as a means of testing the candidates selection page or other flows. If there are examples you'd like to see, we'll do our best to provide them. Posting jobs without the intent of hiring can raise flags within our system and we'd hate for you to see any issues with your account as a result of your 'testing.'

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
6 of 30

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Valéria,

Please, note that it's against the policies to have more than one account per user. Make sure you close all accounts but one as soon as possible. Additionally, we do not suggest posting a job as a means of testing the candidates selection page or other flows. If there are examples you'd like to see, we'll do our best to provide them. Posting jobs without the intent of hiring can raise flags within our system and we'd hate for you to see any issues with your account as a result of your 'testing.'

Thank you.

In her defense, it was a private job so no one is wasting connects on the job.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 30

@Valéria B wrote:

....If there are additional questions to fill out when submitting your proposal, such as "What past project or job have you had that is most like this one and why?" those appear first in your application, and the proposal letter is below them - so make sure you answer the additional questions as descriptevly as possible and put the most important information in the beginning of the questions because the job holder will see them first! 

Your status ( online or offline ) is also visible along with your proposal - so make sure to stay online as much as possible, as that might encourage job holders to message you....

Again, the fact that the Q&A appears first is interesting, and a reason to keep answers concise as well as—if applicable—cogent (or perhaps as dismissive as "Not relevant to my proposal.")

I did not become a freelancer so that others could determine, or my working life would depend on, maximizng hours or availability. Your marketing may vary.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 30

TU many times, Michael.

It is nice that some remember the FREE (in) lancer.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 30

"Please, note that it's against the policies to have more than one account per user. Make sure you close all accounts but one as soon as possible. Additionally, we do not suggest posting a job as a means of testing the candidates selection page or other flows. If there are examples you'd like to see, we'll do our best to provide them. Posting jobs without the intent of hiring can raise flags within our system and we'd hate for you to see any issues with your account as a result of your 'testing.'"

@Valeria K

I appreciate you have to be the policewoman here,

but the OP Valeria has posted an insight that we (freelancers without client accounts) have never been allowed to see before. I think it was Lena who recently showed (re-showed) a screenshot of how clients view the list of proposals. Now we finally get to see how an individual proposal appears. And to me it's worrying. Why is this not stated at some point to the freelancer?

I know I'm just banging my head against a brick wall here, but IMHO freelancers should be given guidance at the point of submitting (scarce) proposals as to how the proposals will be viewed by the clients, so as to guide them in how best to structure their proposal.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
10 of 30

If it weren't for contractors who, at times become clients and come and post about what is going on, then us (contractors) wouldn't know anything. For example, on Elance,

A contractor posted in Elances Water Cooler discussion forum about hidden proposals. She had posted a job, had picked a contractor and was going to hire them, when all of a sudden, their proposal disappeared. Had it not been for the fact that she was an experienced user and long time member of Elance she would have never found out that Elance had dicided that, that contractor was not a good "fit" for the job (even though she thought they were) and decided to hid the proposal. Even as an experienced user and long time member it took some time searching to find where Elance had put the proposal. That doesn't say much for new clients who really don't know things such as that.

Also, had it not been for another contractor, who also at times becomes a client us contractors would never have know that if we didn't choose the Formatting Option on our proposals, then the sentences and paragraphs that we typed in our proposals are just one huge paragrapg.

So even though it's against Upworks TOS to post a "fake" job I'm glad she did and hope nothing is done about it. Because had it not been for her, us contractors would never have known that the answer to any questions are presented first.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS